Thread: Getting a old motor running

Thumbs up Getting a old motor running

Hi everyone I just found a 1982 Johnson sea horse 4hp it has been sitting in a garage for about 5 years the motor looks good the skeg is not banged up or damaged what would be a good plan to get it running I thought plugs points water pump gear oil rebuild or clean carb check and replace fuel lines I am hoping to do some of the work my self so I can learn a thing or two thanks guys

First I'd pull the start cord to see if it turns over. Next I'd remove a plug and turn the motor over to see if you have spark. Then I'd put the thing in the water or a garbage can full of water what ever and see if it fires. If not spray some starting fluid into the carb and see if it fires. If you have spark but starting fluid doesn't work, find the carb and locate the float bowl drain screw and empty it by removing the screw. Spray some carb cleaner into the carb and try to start it... then try some starting fluid after the carb cleaner sits in there for a while. If still nothing move over backyard mechanic and deliver to a pro

Good luck.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    First I'd pull the start cord to see if it turns over. Next I'd remove a plug and turn the motor over to see if you have spark. Then I'd put the thing in the water or a garbage can full of water what ever and see if it fires. If not spray some starting fluid into the carb and see if it fires. If you have spark but starting fluid doesn't work, find the carb and locate the float bowl drain screw and empty it by removing the screw. Spray some carb cleaner into the carb and try to start it... then try some starting fluid after the carb cleaner sits in there for a while. If still nothing move over backyard mechanic and deliver to a pro

Good luck.

Sobie2

These are some good suggestions.

Done the starting fluid thing myself a time or two, but kind of as a last resort.

Another idea before breaking out the starting fluid would be to put some gas mixed with 2cycle oil (50/1) into a spray bottle and use that to spray in the carb/float bowl. The point here being that it provides some lubrication to the cylinders, etc. , especially for a motor that's been sitting a spell.

Ditto on the "Good Luck". Those 4horse Johnsons are tough motors.

- Jay

After checking to see if it pulls through (not too many times though), remove the spark plugs, spray some engine tuner in the cylinders for lubrication (or fogging oil). Then with the spark plugs still out, at wide open throttle, spray engine tuner through the carbs while pulling the motor through. This will lube everything throughout the engine. Let that sit for anywhere from a few hours to a day or so, coming back and pulling it through a few times between. After that, I would check spark and compression. When those are done, get a test tank as Sobie2 reccommended and give it a go with some fresh gas in a clean tank, with possibly a little starting fluid. If it starts, make sure it is peeing good. and maybe check temp with your hand on top of the block. New gear oil and a water pump would probably be a good thing as well, but not a necessity depending on the pee stream and prior condition of the gear oil.

X3 on the good luck.