Thread: Can I remove the eyepiece on a Leupold Vari X II?

Default Can I remove the eyepiece on a Leupold Vari X II?

I have a Leupold Scope that has some moisture and smudging inside the eyepiece. I would really like to clean it out. I have had problems with this scope fogging in the past and sent it back to the factory at one point. I want to remove the eyepiece to clean some of the moisture I can see in there, but I'm concerned it might damage the scope. I'm also concerned that if I don't fix it, it could get worse when hunting in the foggy/rainy conditions of SE. Can anybody give any recommendations for how to best clean the area forward of the eyepiece and behind the ocular lock ring?

Thanks guys,

Send it to Leupold. I sent an old VX-II, and they fixed it free, then had it back to me on less than a week. No way to top that, doing it yourself.

You can think about it, but don't do it. They are purged with inert gases to prevent fogging. If yours is fogging it has a leak and Leupold will fix it. They are guaranteed forever.

This is copied from their web site:

Service currently requires approximately five days, not including shipping time. When shipping product for warranty or service, please include a note of instruction, return address, telephone number, and e-mail address. If you are having a chargeable service performed (reticle change, target adjustment installation, replacement of damaged components, etc.), please include payment with the scope to avoid delays in returning the product. Please record the model and serial number of your product, and ship the optic only. Remove any mounts, rings, sunshades, or lens covers. It is recommended that you purchase insurance and retain a tracking number to document the arrival of your product. If you need any further assistance, please call our technical service department at 1-800-LEUPOLD or (503) 526-1400.

• For shipment by UPS or Federal Express:
      Leupold & Stevens, Inc.
      Attn: Product Service Dept.
      14400 NW Greenbrier Parkway
      Beaverton, OR 97006

• For shipment by mail:
      Leupold & Stevens, Inc.
      Attn: Product Service Dept.
      P.O. Box 688
      Beaverton, OR 97075

If any Leupold Golden RingŪ product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.

My FXII just came back from Leupold- turn around time was 3 weeks- primarily due to the USPS.

I looked for a way to defog mine but ended up just shipping it and hunting with a different scope. If you do get the scope to clear its just a temporary fix- probably very temporary.

I have sent 3 diff scopes over the years into Leupold - none took more than 10 days to get back at most - I agree with others - send it in let them do it right!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I agree wholeheartedly with all, send it back. I have two friends that bought used Leupold gold ring scopes, both went back and fixed-no questions asked.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Looks like lots of Leupolds need to be returned for repair.

Is this because of the large number of them in use?

Has anyone used a Leupold scope for a long time, and NEVER hadda send it back to them for repair?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The high end Leupolds are good scopes but their lower end Leupolds don't cut it. Probably why they have 3x9s ranging from a couple hundred bucks to over a grand.

I took one of their broken 200 dollar scopes appart for a look see once and the guts compared to a 30 dollar BSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Looks like lots of Leupolds need to be returned for repair.

Is this because of the large number of them in use?

Has anyone used a Leupold scope for a long time, and NEVER hadda send it back to them for repair?

Smitty of the North

My vari-x II 3x9 is about 25 years old and has never fogged. My dad's vari-x II 3x9 is older yet and also no problems...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Smitty of the North

I have two Leupold scopes that are almost 35 years old. One is a 2 X 7 and the other is a 3 X 9. Both were purchased new, put on the rifles, are still mounted, and work as well as new. Never had a minutes problem with either.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I have two Leupold scopes that are almost 35 years old. One is a 2 X 7 and the other is a 3 X 9. Both were purchased new, put on the rifles, are still mounted, and work as well as new. Never had a minutes problem with either.
    I have a Tasco 4x32 that I bought brand new in 1968 for $9. It has had more trips to the woods than any other scope I've ever owned and it shows on the outside. It has sat on top of about every squirrel/rabbit rifle I've ever owned and that still holds true. The point is that just about all of the older scopes built on this side of the pond are better quality than the low end stuff being made today even by the top names in the industry.

I can hunt in the rain, go in and out of the cold etc and know that that $9 scope isn't going to fog up and with all of knocks it has taken it still holds zero. We have sent 2 Leupold VXIIs back in the last year because they wouldn't hold zero. They were fixed and returned but that still causes me to have no faith in them.