Thread: Oct 9th - Jim Creek Poker Run for Breast Cancer Focus

Default Oct 9th - Jim Creek Poker Run for Breast Cancer Focus

Saturday Oct 9th, 2010 9:30 am
    Knik River Public Use Area

Proceeds go to
    Breast Cancer Focus
    ½ the pot goes to Breast Cancer Focus, ¼ to best hand and ¼ to worst hand
    www.breastcancerfocus.org
    Supporting advocacy, education, research and compassionate giving in Alaska and to help eradicate breast cancer.

For more details go to www.alaskaatvclub.org

We plan on leaving the parking area at 9:30 so get there early to get signed in and ready to go. The route and routine will be the same as before, come on out and have some fun and a good cause at the same time. This has always been and will continue to be a family friendly get-together!
    Mike

Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Some folks have a hard time navigating around the ATV club website so here is a link that will take you directly to the announcement on our site:
    http://alaskaatvclub.org/smfforum/in...1.0;attach=539

Thanks Mike! Do you guys want the signs and left over maps from last year? I'm bummed that I can't make it....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Ugh! The wife has shopping plans that weekend...maybe I can take the kids, though...

Default Last years materials - Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Thanks Mike! Do you guys want the signs and left over maps from last year? I'm bummed that I can't make it....
    No one has forgotten that it was a couple of people from this site that got the whole get together going in the first place!
    We'll take whatever you have AKMud! You guys gave this a good start, hoping we can keep it as much fun as it has been!
    Whenever you find it let me know and we'll pick it up.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

wonder is it cost ten dollar per person for pker run ?

Yes $10 to join. We're going to split the pot up differently so that we can donate some to Breast Cancer Focus. 1/4 each to best and worst hand and the other 1/2 to BCF. The whole point is to get out and have some fun, meet other ATVers (always good to put names/faces to aliases), raise awareness and funding for an great organization around a great cause, and finally to laugh at anyone who gets stuck!
    Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it. - Steven Wright

http://www.alaskaatvclub.org

this seems wierd....how did the AK ATV club get their name behind this?..seems like the guys here from ODD are losing out....I know the motivation for starting the thing a couple years ago was not for profit, but now it seems to have a different flavor...

too bad really, ODD could have got behind this and generated recognition for this site and their causes....perhaps it was discussed and there wasn't any interest...

...one suggestion...if you truly want to keep it 'family friendly' and maximize the turnout, don't be sticklers for the 9:30am start time.....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I guess you were asleep then when no one else stepped up to host the poker run. The ATV club did to keep it alive. And where do you get the "profit" remark from? Are you against the charity aspect of this years run?

tjm...

This is just a temporary passing of the torch. I'll be back next year (hopefully with some other AOD members!) to run the AOD run like we have the last two years. This October my wife has scheduled a rare "family vacation" and we will be gone till the end of the month. Since AKmuddy wasn't able to take it over either (prior commitments also), the ATV club offered to take it this year.

Trust me, I want this to become an AOD annual event. This will be the third year running, hopefully we will have dozens more!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    I guess you were asleep then when no one else stepped up to host the poker run.
    Good chance I was sleeping.....good chance the word wasn't shouted loud enough if more help was needed...

The ATV club did to keep it alive.
    good on the ATV club...

And where do you get the "profit" remark from?
    from the fact that there is profit to be made....If I were running this site, I'd try to maximize the profit potential....plain and simple....like I said, the poker run wasn't started with profit in mind, but there is profit to be made without detracting from the family event....like I said in the last post, perhaps it was discussed and there just wasn't any interest...

Are you against the charity aspect of this years run?
    not in the slightest...I focus my charity efforts in other places, but none are more important than others...just more important to individuals....so again, good on the ATV club....

I'm curious though, how many anchorage folks are going to get their 4 year olds up at 7:30 or so in the morning to be out there at 9am or so for the ride?....

2008 ride

2009 ride

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I'm curious though, how many anchorage folks are going to get their 4 year olds up at 7:30 or so in the morning to be out there at 9am or so for the ride?....
    The last two years we have had similar start times and the fun ends around 5 - 6pm. If we start any later we will be running into folks heading home in the dark.

As of right now, I should be able to attend. I will know more in the next week or two. If I am able to attend I will help the ATV club run the event as I have in the past two years.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

It'll be good to have you there AKMuddy!
    This is coming up this Saturday, it will be good to see everyone again.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

ANYTHING to SAVE THE TA-TAs!!!! I'll be there!!!!

Early weather looking good...

Saturday...Mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 40s to mid 50s. Light winds.
    Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it. - Steven Wright

Tomorrow's the Ride!!!
    I wanted to post up a copy of the map ahead of time so that anyone interested could print their own copy in advance.
    Saturday will be a good time we're you can ride you ATV/UTV in some gorgeous scenery, put faces to names (or aliases), share experiences, and maybe find others willing to let you try out their make/model. This is a really good chance to bring the wife and family as this is a very family friendly event particularly with the idea of helping fight breast cancer. Below I've put in a short introduction to Breast Cancer Focus and what we'll be doing for the cause. Take the time to visit their website at http://www.breastcancerfocus.org

2010 Poker Run Map.jpg

We've also laid out a few ground rules just so they're known. Don't want to spoil anyone's fun just ask that we follow some common sense rules and follow the laws laid down specifically in designated our riding area.

PRINTED ON THE BACK OF THE MAP:
    ATV Poker Run to benefit Breast Cancer Focus
    Welcome to the third annual Alaska Outdoor Directory ATV Poker Run. The organizers of previous years were unable to put on the event this year so the Alaska ATV Club – Anchorage Racing Lions has stepped in to help make it happen in 2010. We at the ATV Club have long wanted to do a charity run to show the positive nature of our sport and its enthusiasts. This was the perfect opportunity to do that. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and we’ve chosen Breast Cancer Focus as the our charity. This year half the money collected will be given directly to Breast Cancer Focus in their fight against the disease that has affected so many of our lives. The rest of it will be split between the winning and losing hands!

Who is Breast Cancer Focus?
    Breast cancer claims the lives of thousands of women and men each year in this country. The mission of Breast Cancer Focus, Inc. is to support advocacy, education, research and compassionate giving in Alaska and to help eradicate breast cancer. This is an Alaskan charity helping Alaskan people.

ATV Poker Run Rules
    Violation of the rules will result in forfeit of your hand, your entry fee, and expulsion from the ride.
    * All participants are REQUIRED to adhere to the rules of the of the KRPUA. Some basic rules include no littering of any kind and do not “play” in the streams. Cross the water with minimal impact and only when needed.

* No alcohol, drugs, or other substances that might impair your ability to drive.

* This is a "run", there are no prizes for speed - it does not matter who is first to complete the course. It is not a race. Ride safe, ride sober and ride smart.

* Each participant will draw a playing card at each checkpoint. The winning/losing hands are determined by standard poker hand rankings. Five cards will be used to build the winning/losing hand. If a player draws a card that they already have, they must draw a different card. This is a situation which never occurs in "real life" poker, and it should not be allowed to happen on any poker run either. The reason is simple - poker hand rankings are based on the likelihood of each hand occurring, and if duplicate cards are allowed the probabilities of a given hand change. It becomes easier to get four of a kind if you are allowed to have two examples of the King of Hearts in your hand for example. For example, if you draw the seven of clubs and you already have the seven of clubs on your score card, then you must put the card back and re-draw another card.

* Checkpoint staff will record the card drawn so participants won’t have to keep them. It is the participants' responsibility to check their score before leaving each checkpoint, to ensure that the card they drew is correctly recorded on the score sheet.

Okay, now that all that's done... LET'S RIDE!!!!

On your map, it appears that the 12:30 - 1:00 draw should read: third card at start of Friday Creek trail(not second card as shown)

Should be a nice day tomorrow so hope to see a lot of turn out.

On your map, it appears that the 12:30 - 1:00 draw should read: third card at start of Friday Creek trail(not second card as shown)

Should be a nice day tomorrow so hope to see a lot of turn out.
    OH BUGGER! Good catch Rich, glad that came up before I sent it to the printer.
    2010 Poker Run Map.jpg

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Poker Run. Beautiful sunny day for a ride and we raised several hundred dollars to fight breast cancer! Thanks to TeamCC Wasilla for donating a few items to sweeten the pot. Biggest thanks to all the volunteers who registered riders, manned the check points, hauled wood, and helped out the during the entire event.

Love to hear back on how riders felt the event went. We tried having the checkpoints setup so you can ride quickly (or slowly) out to the lunch meadows and then back without long waits at each checkpoint. Wanted it be up to folks to set their own pace and for the fast crowd to have plenty of time to go play around or ride to the glacier.

Lastly, thanks to the AOD guys for putting this on in previous years and we'll be there when they take it over again next year!

Excellent job. You timed the check points perfectly! People who didn't ride MISSED OUT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast