Thread: TAG Bags

Default TAG Bags

Has anyone had a bag rip at the seam? This particular bag was holding a rack of ribs off of a 3-4yr old bull. Nothing too big.

Should I expect better performance from these bags?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I dont know if anything but the heavy canvas bags will hold up to a set of ribs with the sharp bones concentrating all the weight in one area. I have used Tag Bags and other similar lightweight bags for moose, I just wash them after the season and make any needed repairs before the next. They really wash out great and are easy to sew up.

I would like to clarify a bit. These ribs had most of the meat taken off of them. The bull was rather small as were the ribs... 3yr old at best (32") and the tear wasn't in the cloth...it was on the seam. The bags holding the 4 quarters and the neck (meat on the bone) all made it just fine.

AKArcher

I'd show it to Larry and see what he says. Good for him and good for you.

Yea maybe the bag did not get sewn correctly, I would email or call Larry when he gets back in from the field. Larry is a pretty stand up guy, never heard a bad word about him, except from M......

Like the others said I would get in touch with Larry B and let him have a look. I bet that if it was a defect he will give you a new one. One hell of a stand up guy!

Will do... Thanks!

AKArcher

I believe that Larry is now a member of this forum and you should be able to pm him. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I believe that Larry is now a member of this forum and you should be able to pm him. Let us know how it turns out.
    Yep, Larry has rejoined the forum as of a couple months ago. By all accounts I am sure that he will make it right. Sounds like a sewing issue to me but I bet he would like to take a look at it. This is the first time I have heard of a problem like this with the TAG bags so one in several thousand isn't too bad, wish some of the "high end" hunting gear I have purchased had that record. (dang sitka gear!)

dont want to hijack the thread but I was wondering if anyone knew the trick to have the meat dry out in the TAG bags... I have used them for two seasons now and have had the same problem of the meat staying moist and not crusting over well...??? I like the weight and strength of these things though. I was able to maintain the meat and didnt have any loss but the moisture is concerning... anyone else have similar issues?? thanks

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    dont want to hijack the thread but I was wondering if anyone knew the trick to have the meat dry out in the TAG bags... I have used them for two seasons now and have had the same problem of the meat staying moist and not crusting over well...??? I like the weight and strength of these things though. I was able to maintain the meat and didnt have any loss but the moisture is concerning... anyone else have similar issues?? thanks

Greg
    Hi Greg,

It appears that the TAG Bag material has been upgraded as of this year, to a material that vents a bit better than the old stuff. Larry sent me a sample, and it does breathe better than the older bags. I have not tested it in the field though, so I can't say for sure.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There was another thread talking about the bags and one member posted something reguarding new material and the old. Stating that larry was going back to the old material. I had asked Larry to comment on it but no respose. Hopefully he will see this new one and shed some light on the situation. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...54-T.A.G.-bags

Just got back from a long Koyukuk hunt w/the wife. We used the TAG bags and had one tear at the seams and make about a 8" hole I had to tape up. There were no bones in the bag, just the trimmings with the neck meat. Also I had to remove the bags at night due to the meat not drying out enough to form the crust. We did this for a few days until the meat was dry enough to leave the bags on and then I shipped it out to Fairbanks for pickup. I do like the bags but wish they allowed more circulation for better drying. My wife has closed up the hole with her sewing machine so no more problems.

Hey fellas, sorry i missed this thread until now.

As for the comments about seam blow-outs...uhg! I hate that sh@!. Yes, when we moved our production facility outside AK it went to Mexico. The manufacturer had a hard time with the concept of double-stitching the seams. On one entire production run they skipped the second sewing of the seams, which resulted in some blow-out issues (not on all bags, but some). It pissed me off, too, since who ever needs to spend that kind of coin on quality bags, only to have a seam blow-out in the field? Not me, certainly not you guys.

From that production forward we developed a new material that is slightly textured and holds a stronger seam than the old material type, and it doesn't require double-stitching on the seams. It's a stronger material blend and breathes slightly better than the original Game-Vent material.

While I can't take back the problems a few hunters had with seam blow outs, I can certainly square you away with replacement bags.

Just send the blown ones back to us at PO BOX 83909 Fairbanks AK 99708. I'll replace them at no cost. To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the material, just a sewing oversight that has been corrected hence forth.

Thanks for the feeback, and i don't forsee any future issues like this one. New production facilities seem to always require a bit of tweeking before perfection can be achieved. Now that the Mexico plant knows what needs to be done, even the original material won't have such failures because they'll double stitch the seams.

larry

Here's an independent review of the TAG Bags, done by a guy named, Steve Alderman, out of Idaho. Some other good gear reviews for interested hunters:

http://www.muledeercountry.com/?tag=...ight-game-bags

By reading all the positive post on the Tag Bags=they seem like the one to buy for the best quality product and they stand behind the product it is a sure deal maker. Reading below it's too bad that the tag bag company had to move to mexico for whatever reason??. Myself i try and buy 100% american made products and support businesses on the homefront rather then some foreign entity.(Americans always wonder why their jobs went overseas??) But that is the way it goes sometimes. Things have to change.

It does sound like tag bags has changed to a stronger material in their bags which i assume they need to take some rugged abouse or your meat would fall out.

I'll have to go to the Tag Bag website and look into ordering some for future use.

From everything I know about meat care in the field you need to keep your meat dry. How fast it dries depended on temperature, humidity and air flow. Anytime you cover meat you are going to reduce air flow, if you are having problems with the meat not drying, remove the bags, let the meat dry and put clean dry bags on. You can not expect TAG bag to do the impossible you have to use some common sense.

Hey Turk, the "company" that makes TAG Bags didn't move to Mexico, just the manufacturing. I own the said company, and we're based solidly in Fairbanks AK.

A brief history of the TAG Bags for your enjoyment:

We innovated the product from a home-grown science project studying mold comparisons between cotton fabrics and a variety of "synthetic" fabrics.

http://www.pristineventures.com/home...l-testing.html

After some time I found a company in kentucky who could sew the material we innovated as Game-Vent, and they manufacturered this material in to Game Bags that we started marketing as Technologically Advanced Game Bags (T.A.G. Bags).

http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html

To bring the product home to Alaska, a lady who manages the Production dept. at the Alaska Correctional Facility in Eagle River contacted me at the Anchorage Outdoors Show one spring and promised to make our product better and cheaper, plus we could have the stigma of Made in Alaska.

We complied and they delivered, so for about 2-3 years the TAG Bags were made in Eagle River by our very own prison inmates, men and women.

A strange labor law went in to effect in early 2003 (or thereabouts) which allowed prison inmates to make more than minimum wage for their labor force. This forced the State to charge "industry comp" wages, which drove the production costs to well beyond what we could do elsewhere...the production was changed again to save money and to save the future of the TAG Bags.

About 5 years ago I set up a sewing facility in a large shop below my former home in Fairbanks, and we gave my mother a full-time Alaska career of sewing our TAG Bags. She sewed her fingers to the nub, working as fast as she could alone for 8-10 hours each a day (year-round) to have a few hundred sets to sell by July-Sept. She could't keep supply ahead of demand, so we found another source to make these bags and to save her joints.

viva la mexico, baby.

Today, but not entirely, these TAG Bags are sewn by mexican workers. However, Mexico is changing their labor laws and excise tax structure, making production costs go up still again.

While sales continue to climb nearly 400% every year as new hunters use our product, demand continues to be greater than even mexico can supply, so we have found another company in NY and also a potential source in China to manufacturer our product. The company base is still located inside Alaska (Fairbanks), and I am still very focused on quality control, customer service, and product development.

We produced a Field Care of Game Meat video, called Project Bloodtrail, specifically tailored to Wilderness Float Hunters, and TAG Bags are a large part of this project's success.
    http://www.pristineventures.com/prod...d-library.html

The TAG Bags are here to stay, while companies like Caribou Gear in CO begin to borrow our design concepts, marketing colors, and profit from our game bag innovations. Such is life in the business world, i reckon. While they claim to have come up with the concept of synthetic game bag material on their own, their "story" is a mere cut and paste of our product development, using a float hunt as their intellectual vehicle (go figure). There is no mention of our history on their website pages, but hunters sense the blending of our product development without a doubt, plus they charge more for their subtle similarities.

http://www.biggamebags.com/Big_Game_..._the_game_bags

Interesting tidbits, I hope this helps.

larry

Default Game Bags

This is a subject that has been covered for years, but it’s time to update this subject since the game bags have been improving over the years. Game bags overall have come a long way over a short period since the industries norm was cheese cloth and Canvas.
    Neither really works! “cheese cloth just doesn’t work period” Canvas is to heavy and takes forever to dry, not to mention stain and smell retention, shrinkage, plus the conditioning that needs to take place before use. Form fitting bags are not easy to handle, stretch, does not totally protect meat from insects, they may survive a second use, if you go easy on them.

Having used I believe all of the game bags made over the years, I have used both Tag Bags and Caribou Gear Game Bags; I find that they are similar when it comes to both being white and with pull string locks. TAG bags and Caribou Gear fabric are greatly different to the touch, TAG bags feel like nylon and Caribou Gear seem more like a combination of cotton and nylon (highbred of nylon). As they (Caribou Gear) say “100% not cotton” a Custom Synthetic blend. Caribou Gear game bags allow meat to glaze over better. Not to mention the light reflective attachments and lock loops (Great Idea).

Given the fact that Tag Bags have posted that they are switching back to their original fabric tells me they are not happy with the new fabric also giving account that they are changing manufactures adds credibility to the fact that they are not settled with their bags.

As far as Caribou Gear game bags, they come in a variety of sizes and packaged to suit a hunters needs from full carcass bags, meat bags and the packaged bundles. Plus have you seen the publicity and recognition they have received from clubs, a number of magazines and not that this means anything but I even saw them being used on Sara Palin’s Alaska, “The Caribou Hunting show”. I’m sure the bigger chains tested the hell out of the Caribou Gear Game Bags before they decided to sell them.

I would have to say the Caribou Gear Game Bags are more expensive but you get what you pay for! "You be the judge" I switched this last year with 1 moose, 1 elk and 1 deer using the Caribou Gear Game Bags, they are tough durable, clean up like new and breathable (Reusable).

Do what you will, I do believe there is a new industry standard.
    Just my opinion but my vote goes to Caribou Gear Game Bags.

Bcmoose, i find it very interesting that all your 4 posts have related strictly to caribou gear's game bags. I've tried to email you through this site and get nothing in response, but your IP address leads me back to Caribou Gear. Email me directly to chat about your credibility.

I can't speak for everyone else, but reputations are earned here. This site is about sharing valid information, not trolling for sales.

bartletthome@gci.net

Larry