Thread: 375 Ruger RL17

Default 375 Ruger RL17

I did some mroe shooting today to test performance with the 375 Ruger with 260 Accubonds and RL17. I started by loading up 3 loads at charge weights in half grain increments from 83 grains to 84.5 grains. I was pleased with the velocity I gained over H4350 in a comparable load. I was also pleased with how well RL17 fills the case. My results are below. I will post target pics later.

All loads were loaded with CCI 250 primers in Hornady brass loaded to a COAL of 3.350

83.0 grains 2835 fps 1" group, 2 touching
    83.5 grains 2880 fps .75" accuracy
    84.0 grains 2915 fps .35" accuracy all 3 touching
    84.5 grains 2930 fps 1.5" group

I didn't get any pressure signs or hard bolt lift, but judging by the chrony readings and and the opening of the group the 84.5 grain load is approaching max in this rifle.

What length of barrel does your rifle have? Nice work by the way.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

BrentC,

Glad to see you're testing with RL-17. I did a few batches with 300gr TSX's and RL-17 with great results.

As you mentioned in your post, RL-17 gives a nice case fill and delivers about 55-65fps more velocity than H-4350 with no adverse signs. I also think that the RL-17 burns with less carbon fouling and the spent case is much cleaner.

Keep us informed if you experiment with seating depths. The 260gr Accubond is a good bullet and well suited for the .375 calibers.

By the way, my best Accubond load was COL 3.330 which was .162 off the lands. Your load is within .020 of that COL. If you play with seating depths starting at max magazine and back off in .020 increments you may find a better result. However, your group was very nice and it may well be the best recipe for your rifle, good job.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-17?highlight=

My rifle is a factory Ruger African with a 23" barrel.

I've shot the Accubonds at different seating depths and I always come back to 3.350 for accuracy. I'll load some more around 84 to verify the load, I want to get a better sampling of ES and SD to see how it all shakes out.

Thanks for the data. I may play with some 300gr Accubonds when hunting season is over. I have a 100 on the bench just itching to go down range, mine is the 20" Alaskan.

The thing I really like about the Accubond is the B.C.. I am now using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with the Rapid Z 600 reticle on the rifle, and the feature that really excites me is that at close to max power with the Accubond at 2900-2920 fps the trajectory matches up with the reticle marks nearly perfect. Of course, it's all mathematical with the exbal reticle program at this point. I'll have to shoot it at the specific distances to verify.

Here is the group from the 84 grain load. I know I said .35, but when I put the calipers to it it's actually .54, but still I'm happy with it.

I shoot the 20" Alaskan. Mine is partial to RL 15 and a 270 gr Hornady.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!