Thread: Square sterned canoe "fuel mileage" let us know your numbers:

Default Square sterned canoe "fuel mileage" let us know your numbers:

On my moose hunt we ran at least 150 miles total mileage (both short trips and the long commute). We hauled an estimated 1000 lbs. Total fuel used: 7 gallons of fuel

The motor used was a Tohatsu 9.8 fourstroke lifted to the point of cavitation for the entire trip (but trimmed properly). I had brought 18 gallons of fuel and could have easily freighted two moose, people and gear in a series of three runs if I had to with this one boat and would have burnt 14 gallons of gas for an estimated 380 miles of river and lakes.

I say nay to jet boats,.........go grab an Esquif Cargo canoe You can bash it into anything, drag it across shallows, paddle it quietly, and burn minimal fuel. Yah just gotta get your balance so you can stand with a tiller extension.......and your going anywhere you need to, even if the water is 8 inches deep with a thousand pounds in the boat. If it gets shallower than that.......get out and pull the boat over the shallow spot, or.......if going down river.....lift the motor and pole.

A jet boat broke down where I was this year, so plugged up with weeds his motor wouldnt work.

nice idea.. i'll have to look into that...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

any pictures that you can share of your rig and of the trip?

Default square stern mileage ....

My rig isn't typical. However, the load capacity is 1950#. My Yamaha 15 hp 2-stroke achieves 10 mpg - for the loaded boats and averages 13.5 mph (GPS). Once we get to our hunt area, we separate the canoes, and use the Wenonah (camo) boat on off-river ponds, lakes, creeks and other places where the Grumman isn't appropriate. Once the hunt is thru, we re-attach the 2 canoes, and load up to return to the landing. We can separate the 2 canoes to work over log jams and beaver dams. The idea is to be able to get to where most river boaters don't even try to go, and still have enough capacity to haul as much as 2 moose.

I consider 10 mpg reasonable for this rig. It's a pretty adaptable setup.

mariner
    glad your enjoying the esquif cargo.What are you running for lift?So you had 1000lbs in the canoe,how much freebored did you have left?

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    mariner
    glad your enjoying the esquif cargo.What are you running for lift?So you had 1000lbs in the canoe,how much freebored did you have left?
    Nah, no Esquif yet. still running an Old Town. I was just stating that to get "equivalent" or currently avail. performance, you'd be best off to pick up an Esquif Cargo. With my Old Town, I had about 9-10 inches of free board left.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    any pictures that you can share of your rig and of the trip?
    no pictures of the actual trip but I do have a pic of the boat on the Yukon. 100 miles going up the yukon with about 500 lbs: about 8 gallons of gas. One thing that has really improved fuel economy was going four-stroke. The 9.8 Tohatsu has equivelent fuel range of my old suzuki 6 horse two-stroke. One thing that really improved power was switching to NGK Iridium spark plugs and alway mixing iso-heet in the gas. I seems to allow the motor to run at a better temp. due to our cold Alaskan water. I just built an even better lift transom and it's AMAZING! It's both striking in appearance, light-weight, and tough as nails. Without a lift......your canoe is nothing......and you're stuck to the main rivers. With a lift and a rock-hopper or river runner prop protector.......there's no stopping you. We actually ran the canoe up a creek that was only 4 ft. wide. If felt like bumper cars as the canoe bashed against the sticks and sides of the creek.
    Lift Stern..jpgyukon canoe.jpg

Question new beauty mark?

That big biff on your port side near the transom looks new; is there a story behind that one?

Default Whats an alaskan red neck

Rick, I think that you are the new poster boy for "You might be a red neck" Really, looks interesting, Just out of curiousity... what are the sizes? How does it track with the two different sizes and the power to the one side? Is that green handle some kind of lift? Is that something that you made or bought?

Dang Mainer, that first pic makes it look like the biggest canoe ever!

Running flat out with 4 folks in the boat I get just under 1HPG (thats about 20 mpg). The freighter is 21 feet long 54 inch beam and I am running a 20 horse tohatsu.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default gas mileage/ H.B. with surface drive

On a recent late september trip up the Yukon from Circle I kept carefull
    records of fuel use. I run an Alagash legal [ 4 inches narrower than a standard]
    Hudson Bay with an 18 h.p. surface drive. 95 miles up river/ 95 down for a
    total of 190.I used exactly 10 and a half gallons. I was only running at about
    60 to 65% throttle. 11 to 12 mph upriver. 17 to 18 down. We had 30 gallons
    of gas and plenty of gear. The rig would go 15 up and in the low 20's down [gps]
    at higher rpm but starts to use the gas.I continue to be impressed by the motor.
    It starts instantly at 10 degrees. The prop seems indestructible. However, because
    there's nothing under the boat I occasionally chip off hunks of gel coat at the
    extreme stern in the really shallow riffles. Perhaps next spring I'll epoxy up
    several layers of kevlar for a sacrificial skid plate.