Thread: Workshop on Kenai and Kasilof River chinook salmon

Default Workshop on Kenai and Kasilof River chinook salmon

With the Board of Fisheries in Feb the issue of Kenai and Kasilof River chinook salmon will be on front stage. The only problem is that in the heat of battle rationale discussion gets lost and the pressure of a huge meeting does not allow for good communication.

Therefore, I am suggesting that the guides, joe fisherman, wildlife watchers, and others interested in chinook of the Kenai River put aside the allocation issues and write to ADF&G asking for a workshop on Kenai and Kasilof River chinook salmon. This could be a weekend event in Soldotna/Kenai area - the Kenai Visitor Center is a good location or the CIAA building. At the workshop they will present what they know about these stocks, update the public and scientists with results from ongoing studies, and frankly plan a future for long term research on these stocks where data gaps exist. In addition, they should outline their position on some of the proposals dealing with conservation issues at the Board of Fisheries.

It would appear to me that if KRSA, KAFC, UCIDA, KPFA, KPGA, CIK, KWF, and the dip net groups would join in this effort it could happen in late Nov or Dec.

If not I am afraid that the BOF will get confused and do what it does in that situation - maintain the status quo.

The BOF will be in Soldotna/Kenai in mid October (14-15??) so they are available to talk with at breaks. They are not taking public testimony.

Just a suggestion. Maybe KRSA could sponsor it as they have money from the classic and this certainly would be going toward the Kenai River fish.

Great idea Nerka.

Biggest impediment will be overcoming the reluctance of the various stakeholder groups to show their cards before the big game this spring.

The resource would be better served by all sides freely airing their concerns and suggestions, with ADFG moderating and providing the necessary data to make sound decisions BEFORE the whole confusing mess is presented this spring to board members who may not be up to speed on the critical issues surrounding these fisheries.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Nerka, it is my understanding that the F&G reports would not be ready at that time. I thought I remember hearing sometime around the new year they would have their reports ready for the public and have the data from this past season in a usable format. You have a good idea, just the timing may have to be adjusted. With some of your contacts within the department I bet you could make it happen.

Heck, I would just be happy if F&G could explain how they come up with a sonar count for kings, what level of confidence they have in thier numbers, and how they use the various indicies (and how much weight they give each) to come up with a number. It seems they will post their numbers are high, but they don't have a clue how high the numbers are.

Personally, I think they need to explain all of that to the BOF, if the BOF is going to manage by the sonar number, the BOF should know the level of confidence F&G has in it as a management tool. And if the sonar can't be uses as a management tool then what do they need.

I heard last year the only thing keeping F&G from using the Didson on the lower river is the inability to pay someone to count the fish 24/7. I would be good for F&G to clear the air on some of the fact verses fiction that is out there.

I know they are doing a lot of research on the ER kings and where they are going, it would be good to hear what they are finding out.

I agree with yukon.... the more pertinent data the better. and in as digestable a format as possible to keep the minutia from cluttering the big picture.

After the past season, it feels like we are throwing darts blind at a big-@$$ picture without any clue as to where in that picture the darts are actually landing, if at all.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD