Thread: Nunivak muskox

Default Nunivak muskox

Shot a nice bull muskox on Nunivak this past Saturday (the 4th). Hunted with Mr Ed Shavings, Sr. and his sons. Photos to follow.

Are you saving the meat? Sept is rut. Generally not good meat. (These are just questions guys. Don't get your panties in a bunch).
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Just wondering if u sent ur meat with grant aviation from mekoryuk. I had some meat in the grant aviation freezer and it was sent into anchorage via nac with someones muskox. i have recovered some of it but am still missing some.

IMG_2607.jpg

Here is a photo of my muskox. I shot him on Saturday Sept 4 at 12:10 pm about 40 miles west of Mekoryuk on Nunivak Island. We were unable to access the hunting area by boat for 5 days and finally the wind changed direction and the sea calmed down enough to let us get out and find an animal. We past up a couple of younger bulls. The one I shot was the older and bigger of a pair that were eating grass about 500 yards from shore. I shot him once with the 378 Wby using a 260 gr. NP. He went down in seconds. These bulls were not yet in rut. I have never heard that muskox meat is not good eat, even when they are in rut. My bull was 7 or 8 years old and was in his prime. His meat is excellent, even if a little chewy. I flew Era roundtrip from Anchorage to Mekoryuk with a stop in Bethel. On the way home I ended up checking about 400 pounds of skull, hide and meat on the airplane I was riding on. The Era Cargo guy told me that it would be best if I kept the meat with me! I hired Mr. Ed Shavings, Sr. as my guide and his three sons, Chuck, Ed Jr., and Lincoln took me out and took great care of me and the animal. I was a great hunt. I have an excellent specimen and a freezer full of exceptional meat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking animal and horns. Are you gonna have them scored?
    Glad to hear the meat is good. I always send a bunch of the tougher parts in for sausage. Indian Valley. Ribs, back straps, tenderloins are cut and wrapped and go in freezer.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I'll say he was 4 or 5 years old. But a dandy of a bull. You should be happy with it for sure.

I've had a few bulls in rut that were...well, not great. But WAS great in tacos w/some seasoning.

A really n ice bull for sure!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

The age estmate is based on the size and condition of the horns and how much hair present between the bosses. The bosses are very close together wiith little hair between them. An unofficial b&c score comes in at 107.

Before you read on, KNOW that I'm not knocking the animal. It is a dandy and anyone would be proud to have harvested it. This isn't in a negative way at all...

Oh, I know how they are visually aged. I've shot "a few". Musk Ox usually don't get real old. Mature up by 3-4. The fact that any hair remains means the boss hasn't grown together all the way (which is what you'd look for in an older ox). And the boss tends to grow out (creating a ravine) between the two bosses. I have a "few" pics in my albums section if you want to see a variety of ox, and you can tell the old ones. Also, 4 in there make book...
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!