Thread: Rifling twist question Rem 721

Default Rifling twist question Rem 721

I just aquired a Remington 721 in 30.06 on a trade and I'm thinking of getting a barrel made for it. I want to turn this into a more compact package say 18" to 20" barrel still in '06 but I want to shoot 180 to 220 grain bullets. Is a 1:10 twist good to go or should I go tighter say 1:9 or 1:8?
    One more thing, does anyone know what contour the factory barrel is?

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good idea, IMO. Make a handy Bar gun shooting the heavy for caliber boolits.

Maybe, a Receiver Sight for the rear, and a Wide Post for the front. Or a Low Power Scope.

I wouldn't shorten the barrel to less than 20", because of muzzle blast, and loss of velocity.

1-10 twist is sposed to stabilize 220 grain bullets. That's why it's that fast.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Google "Greenhill Formula" and this will give you the math to determine optimum twist rate for any diameter/weight of bullet at any given velocity. Basic physics and math.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."