Thread: Continental 0-300A in a 170A

Default Continental 0-300A in a 170A

I'm looking into buying an airplane and was really interested in a 170 but they all have the 145 HP 6 cylinder continental engine unless they have been modified. Believe me I'd like to find one modified with a 180 HP, but can't find one in Alaska. I'm a new pilot and not ready to fly one up from the lower 48.

I've heard bad things about this engine does anyone here have an opinion. Should I hold out for something with a different engine?

Thanks

One of my primary student clients had one and it worked just fine. Another guy who did his private in an old C-172 had the same engine. They purr because they are a 6 cylinder. As long as they are not over-loaded they do just fine.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

What bad things could you possibly have heard about that engine? It is bombproof. I'd take one over three O-320s any day.

You concern should not be over the engine but the HP provided by the engine. Plenty of folks feel fine with the 145 horsies but they aren't loading (overloading) them like they are a 185, either.

you may also be hearing bad things about the Cont. O-360 vs. O-300. The 360 has a bad rep. and the 300 seem to do quite well. People confuse them often.

Once had a C-170A with a heavy case 165-hp Franklin and a climb prop. Loved that airplane! Could have used the B-model's larger flaps, but the 165-hp and climp prop worked well for me. Last time I saw it, though, it was upside down on the ridge just on the north side of Lake Telaquana. Sad sight indeed.

And . . . . . . no, I didn't put 'er there!

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    I'm looking into buying an airplane and was really interested in a 170 but they all have the 145 HP 6 cylinder continental engine unless they have been modified. Believe me I'd like to find one modified with a 180 HP, but can't find one in Alaska. I'm a new pilot and not ready to fly one up from the lower 48.

I've heard bad things about this engine does anyone here have an opinion. Should I hold out for something with a different engine?

Thanks
    Don't worry about flying something up from the Lower 48. If a good mechanic says it's OK to fly, then it's OK to fly. As for the scary trip itself - - - - - ALL long flights are just a series of thort flights. Just multiply a atrip from Anchorage to Homer a few times and it's all done. If taken one leg at a time, the scary will go away.

The biggest problem is waiting out weather bring up a plane. Make limits for yourself and don't break them. Also you have to be ready to land short of your desitation if the WX goes down and just get a hotel. This spring it took 8 days to bring a 180 up from the eastcoast because of wx delays. The cost has to be figured into the purchase price also. $3,000.00 gas and $1500.00 in hotel and food. I've had trips that I flew the whole AK Hwy in one day, Dawson Ck. to Glennallen (in a Pacer), just plan the long trip though.
    The up side is its fun and a great experience builder. Just find someone to fly the trip with you that is higher time and experienced, But on that note remember its your trip and plane, you make the go no go calls. good luck and keep it fun!

+1 for the O-300. I flew an old 172 years ago with an O-300 that was at least 500 hrs past tbo and it ran like a top. 6 cyl smooth like mentioned, just a friendly little motor in my book. I wouldn't hesitate in the least to buy one. Fly 'er till she's wore out and then decide if you want 180hp.

The first 170s where originally a rag wing, although many have been metalized. They originally had a V strut as well.
    In late 48 or early 49 the A model was introduced with a single wing strut and metal wings. There was no wing dihedral on the 170s and 170As. They look flat across the top.
    They also have smaller flaps than the later 170-Bs.
    The B models have something like a Fowler type flap. I think it is the same or almost the same type of flap they put on the L-19 Bird Dogs.
    As a result the B models are sometimes thought of as more desirable. Particularly for installing a larger engine.

If you go with an A model,
    Just don't over-load it. Take out the back seat and treat her like a 2 person airplane with a big camping gear bay.
    If you think you are really going to haul around four people, full fuel and gear,,,, well,,, you might want to re-think that part...

I must be mixed up with the 0-360 like algonquin said. I learned in a 145 horse 172 that the instructor complained about because we had to use a fuel additive for it to run on 100LL, he said he'd never have bought that plane. it must have been the 0-360. This will be a trainer for me to build hours and I don't plan on doing any tight take offs or landings. I do have a small wife and two young kids that I'd be flying around with but all of us together are still under 400 lbs. And if camping I'd have to make a two trips one for the family and one for the gear. The 170 I was looking at has had the gear switched out for 180 gear and it has 180 flaps and trim. It sounds great to me but I don't know a thing about airplanes except how to start em fly em and land em. I was gonna have a mechanic look at it before buying. Any other suggestions on what to do for a pre buy?

Have you mechanic check the legality of those mods. If the paperwork was not done correctly, it will void any insurance you might have.
    Look for corrosion in the gear box and inside the wings. Look for any wreck history with that N number on the NTSB web site. Sometimes it is not mentioned in there but it can't hurt to look. A local guy bought one that had trim tabs added all over the place. It had been in an un-documented wreck and the last owners had added all sorts of trim tabs in an effort to make a bent airplane fly straight.

O-300s work well. So do IO-360s, by the way. The comment about the 172 needing a fuel additive? I hear lots of guys say that lead gives them problems. It's never given me any. Even in the two TCM IO-360s I've had.

The best performing 170 I ever saw had an o-300. It's the same as with all airplanes. Horsepower overcomes weight. Keep it light and 145hp will work fine.

I must be mixed up with the 0-360 like algonquin said. I learned in a 145 horse 172 that the instructor complained about because we had to use a fuel additive for it to run on 100LL, he said he'd never have bought that plane. it must have been the 0-360. This will be a trainer for me to build hours and I don't plan on doing any tight take offs or landings. I do have a small wife and two young kids that I'd be flying around with but all of us together are still under 400 lbs. And if camping I'd have to make a two trips one for the family and one for the gear. The 170 I was looking at has had the gear switched out for 180 gear and it has 180 flaps and trim. It sounds great to me but I don't know a thing about airplanes except how to start em fly em and land em. I was gonna have a mechanic look at it before buying. Any other suggestions on what to do for a pre buy?
    PLease, PLEASE - - - - - do NOT separate your family from the emergency gear when camping. If anything untoward should happen during the gear/family separation, you'd never ever forgive youself. Matter of survival . . . . . right? Your emergency gear must ALWAYS be aboard.

Good Advice Grizzly, I would have seperate gear that remained on the plane always.

Thanks everyone.

I must be mixed up with the 0-360 like algonquin said. I learned in a 145 horse 172 that the instructor complained about because we had to use a fuel additive for it to run on 100LL, he said he'd never have bought that plane. it must have been the 0-360.
    No it was probably the O-300. It doesn't like 100ll and TCP added will help. OTOH if you run it right you won't need TCP. Most folks who have problems with lead fouling in low compression engines run them too rich.

Feed her mogas like I do. Save money and the engine likes it.

I agree , the older engines like a mix of car gas. I flew a O-290 D2 On a mix of 50/50 a lot with no problem. I yeild to Mr. Pid on the IO 360, he has ten time the experience I have with a IO 360. Lots of times aviation things get a bad rap because of improper operating proceedures. What ever you get find some people that have flown one like it for several years and pick their brain.

Some early engine models have bad raps. Like an o-470A. The Lycoming o-320H2D, etc. That hasn't made the entire series bad. So it goes with the TCM IO360. In fact I used to dream of putting an IO360 into a 170B using the XP Mods STC. That would be a fun airplane. Just like the Hawk XP but with a tailwheel and lighter.

And now Stoots has a STC for a fuel injected Lycoming engine for 170s. Lycoming IO-360 I forget the variant.

Downside is no mogas.

Default Good motor in its day.

The 0-300 and c-145 are good engines. BUT call around to get overhaul cost of one!!!!
    Parts for those are getting really hard to come by and if you can get parts they are very expensive. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Someone fed you bad info the C-145/O-300 is an very good engine. It would just be nice to have more power in the 170!
    Tim