Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my first moose this morning!!

Default Got my first moose this morning!!

I got my first moose this morning off of the Parks Highway in 20b right at dawn at 6:18am just enough light to see. I was riding down the ATV trail and wasnt paying too much attention and just happen to see if right off to the left maybe 20 feet off the trail. So I stop to get a look and it looked like a cow to me because of the angle he was standing and because it was still pretty dark. I busted out the binos to get a up close view and sure enough it is a bull by this time he is trotting away so I let out a cow call and he stopped dead in his tracks so I creep off of the trail into the tussocks being a small pine and let out another cow call now he is interested but had trotted to about 100 yards away when he took off the first time. I wait for him to turn broadside since he was quartered away and it seemed like it took forever for him to turn. I take a decent kneeling position ( as decent as you can on a tussock) and lean up against the small pine for stabilization (bad Idea) right when I shoot the pine doubles over I though for sure I missed him but he didn't move so I racked another round in the 30-06 and shot again this I knew was a good hit because he was garden hosing but for extra insurance for him not to go into the lung shot. Say what you will about shooting 3 shots but I was sure my first was a clear miss as the pine broke in half that I was leaning on so it was 2 shots (in my mind) but if I had to do it again I would of done it the same way since I thought the first was a clear miss. I am super excited about my first moose and glad I managed it solo. I have been on many other moose hunts as a pack rat / skin monkey but never taken my own.

61525_430788132265_507287265_5208509_4375618_n.jpg

Oh and thanks to whoever it was that recommended that little gator grip tripod It worked great and only took about 3 attempts for me to make it back before the flash haha!

61180_430791217265_507287265_5208554_3305830_n.jpg

He isnt the biggest bull but it is meat in the freezer for my family and I and thats what counts. I wont complain for my first tho!

Congrats! you wont get any grief from me for shooting 3 times.

Congrats on a nice bull, so did you hit him with your 1st shot I could't figure that out and if you did mention it please excuse me I'm kind of slow. If you did where di dyou get him on the 1st shot?

It's just a little rib meat, Bsj, so good on ya!
    Congratulations!

Taylor

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

congrats that first one is always a thrill...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You earned that bull with your last critter harvested It was just good karma...

It takes as many bullets as it takes. If that moose hadn't moved after the first shot, regardless of tree breaking, a second shot would have been on my list too. Congrats on your first moose. Someday I'll get mine.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Congrat's on filling the freezer and getting your first moose.

Congrats on first moose. I envy you not being in a 50" 3 brow tine area

Great job young man - congrats!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yes my first shot hit him I was aiming for vitals but the tree broke left so the shot was high left hit him in the neck that shot alone would of dropped him had I have been a little more patient but I wasnt letting my first get away

Congratulations on a well earned trophy. I always like to shoot until they are down to stay, I don't agree with those who will let an animal suffer longer than necessary so that they can have a one shot kill.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Congratulations on a well earned trophy. I always like to shoot until they are down to stay, I don't agree with those who will let an animal suffer longer than necessary so that they can have a one shot kill.
    I agree. You deserve the respect of all hunters for ensuring the animal was killed quickly with minimal suffering. I hand-load, so ammo is cheap. I will shoot until I'm confident it's done. The one-shot, quick and humane kill is what we all strive for, but reality is often different. Enjoy that meat, and again - CONGRATS!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Nice Job!!!!!! Great eating there. You have pine trees up there?? Are you sure they are not spruce?

Congratulations and may it be the first of many more to come.

Yeah it was a spruce, I don't know why I said or even thought pine my head was all over the place when I typed up that story now that I re read it 90% of it doesn't make sense and there are a million grammar and spelling errors and it will not let me edit it oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Great job young man - congrats!
    and I am not that young im nearly 24 but I do look about 12 in that picture haha.

Good shooting and good going.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Great job dont ever be afraid to shoot again, I blasted a bull last year at 20 yards with my 325 and he started walking into a swamp so i shot him until he fell 4 times might be a over kill but the further he walked the further I had to pack. I was already about 1/2 mile from the boat so every inch counts hahahahahhahahh

BSJ - To a lot of us 24 is "young" you little whipper snapper!

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast