Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: and the rant continues!

Angry and the rant continues!

Well the bad luck with new guys hunting in Alaska with me continues! So have who I thought was a buddy beg and beg me to take him moose hunting. Talk my other friends say hey man he is legit good guy, so they are good with it. So we take off up to tangle lakes Weds night, get their early around 5 in morning at the parking lot we load up and take off. Things are going good everyone enjoying themselves. My so called bud is using my wife brand new Artic cat we cross the middle fork with no problems and we continue until we hit the first hole Broncoformudv wheels thru it no problems my so called buddy easy in and the whole time going I donít know I donít know he swamps it doesnít help that the dealership in Wasilla forgot to tighten the hose clamp for the snorkel that goes to the belt housing so we drain the belt housing seems like 4 gallons of water comes out, pull the plug drain water from the carb off we go. So fast forward to the next day the night before we talked on how we did not see any birdís ptarmigan. So next day we see them I shoot one with my ďSo called BuddiesĒ 22 we continue the day run into more birds but we missed them we are heading back to camp and run into more birds I grab Robs 22 pistol and was going to shoot at one but it flew then Rob says there is one right there, so I turned and popped it didnít think nothing of it. The fella who I thought was a bud goes I was going to shoot it I just looked at him and hopped in the ranger and continued on. So we get back to camp and he disappears about 30 mins later he shows back up he has been on the phone with his wife I asked him what was up and he just loses he it starts yelling at me how I endangered people lives shooting at the bird I was like a 12 year old with a gun I was like what the hell. Anyhow he says his wife will follow my wife up and pcik him up blah blah I tell him to shut the you know what up and he tells me the same and then he wants to fight all I know is I had a e-tool by me I would have beat him on the side of the head with it. So I he calms down and he decide to stay but in the end I should have told him to pack his S&@t and start walking. My friends at this point are in disbelief shaking their heads telling me I know how to pick them. So now he thinks nothing of it and keeps asking when Iím going hunting again and is ready to ***. I not even going to mention how he changed our game plan on a stock we were putting a moose as well. So from here on out I will not take anyone I donít know for a t least year hunting with me!

(fixed for easy reading not grammar - spelling. Very insightful post 323. Thanks )

and the rant continues!
    Well the bad luck with new guys hunting in Alaska with me continues! So have who I thought was a buddy beg and beg me to take him moose hunting. Talk my other friends say hey man he is legit good guy, so they are good with it.

So we take off up to tangle lakes Weds night, get their early around 5 in morning at the parking lot we load up and take off. Things are going good everyone enjoying themselves. My so called bud is using my wife brand new Artic cat we cross the middle fork with no problems and we continue until we hit the first hole Broncoformudv wheels thru it no problems my so called buddy easy in and the whole time going I donít know I donít know he swamps it doesnít help that the dealership in Wasilla forgot to tighten the hose clamp for the snorkel that goes to the belt housing so we drain the belt housing seems like 4 gallons of water comes out, pull the plug drain water from the carb off we go.

So fast forward to the next day the night before we talked on how we did not see any birdís ptarmigan. So next day we see them I shoot one with my ďSo called BuddiesĒ 22 we continue the day run into more birds but we missed them we are heading back to camp and run into more birds I grab Robs 22 pistol and was going to shoot at one but it flew then Rob says there is one right there, so I turned and popped it didnít think nothing of it. The fella who I thought was a bud goes I was going to shoot it I just looked at him and hopped in the ranger and continued on.

So we get back to camp and he disappears about 30 mins later he shows back up he has been on the phone with his wife I asked him what was up and he just loses he it starts yelling at me how I endangered people lives shooting at the bird I was like a 12 year old with a gun I was like what the hell. Anyhow he says his wife will follow my wife up and pcik him up blah blah I tell him to shut the you know what up and he tells me the same and then he wants to fight all I know is I had a e-tool by me I would have beat him on the side of the head with it.

So I he calms down and he decide to stay but in the end I should have told him to pack his S&@t and start walking. My friends at this point are in disbelief shaking their heads telling me I know how to pick them. So now he thinks nothing of it and keeps asking when Iím going hunting again and is ready to ***.

I not even going to mention how he changed our game plan on a stock we were putting a moose as well. So from here on out I will not take anyone I donít know for a t least year hunting with me!

I've found that a week of hunting will show you a person's true colors and definately show any compatability issues people may have.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I want to hear the "buddy's" side of the story...

Please, scratch me off your list too.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Picking a hunting partner is a tough task.

Not intending to offend, but I am curious what your "so called friend" would say about the situation. Did he explain why he thought you made an unsafe shot? Where was everyone else in relation to the bird and you?
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

It was at a 45 degree angle to me I saw everyone so I was aware of the situation what his problem he not shooting anything. My buddies saw this as well, the day we were putting the move on the bull he came with us cause he thought we were going to shoot a bull from out from underneath him even though it was a small one I had a any bull tag. I hope he reads this thread too! I'm pretty darn sure if it was a unethical shot my other counterpart would of told me anyhow, and they told me thier was nothing wrong with the shot I made.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I want to hear the "buddy's" side of the story...
    Heck do you one better I will give his number to you and tell him you said you would take him hunting...

LOL, no thanks...was just saying I wanted to hear both sides of the story...springer style..

I'm sure he will tell you a completely different story, but have two other witnesses as well and they will tend to agree with my side. Again never again will have to know them for awhile before I do it again and they bring their own crap. If they don't have a wheeler oh well not using mine...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

323, bro i hate to say it... but differences between friends belong between friends, not open for discussion... sorry you had a rough time, but over the course of the years, i have figured out it takes two to hurt feelings.... sit down and talk to him/them and work it out. take time to teach a new guy rather then run rough shod over them....every one thinks does acts differently then the person before them and recognizing that difference in people is a huge factor in teaching them... it matters not how the solutions get resolved as long as the end result is accomplished... some things need to be laid out in advance before the gear is packed to prevent misunderstandings... and sometimes in parties of three or more, there needs to be one person that takes the lead and sets the example... for many hunting is very competitive, there is a strong need in some to be the one that pulls the trigger and takes the life... personally i don't care where the bullet came from as long as we all go home with meat or eat dinner that night in the case of small game....

Patience, my friend is virtue, expected by all, yet practiced by so few....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I know that the forum has a member of the year award, and I can think of a few other "distinguished member" awards that could be given out.

I've got a nomination if anyone wants to second...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well the bad luck with new guys hunting in Alaska ... continues!!
    gee dude, IF i were gonna rant about "new guys" hunting in alaska.... you would qualify.

i can see whining a bit about a bad experience ( you want some cheese with that?) but to quantify it as a "new guy" issue is silly.
    you are a "new guy" to me, and there are guys on this board that trump me 3 fold on "alaskan-ness".
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    gee dude, IF i were gonna rant about "new guys" hunting in alaska.... you would qualify.

i can see whining a bit about a bad experience ( you want some cheese with that?) but to quantify it as a "new guy" issue is silly.
    you are a "new guy" to me, and there are guys on this board that trump me 3 fold on "alaskan-ness".
    ........Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    323, bro i hate to say it... but differences between friends belong between friends, not open for discussion... sorry you had a rough time, but over the course of the years, i have figured out it takes two to hurt feelings.... sit down and talk to him/them and work it out. take time to teach a new guy rather then run rough shod over them....every one thinks does acts differently then the person before them and recognizing that difference in people is a huge factor in teaching them... it matters not how the solutions get resolved as long as the end result is accomplished... some things need to be laid out in advance before the gear is packed to prevent misunderstandings... and sometimes in parties of three or more, there needs to be one person that takes the lead and sets the example... for many hunting is very competitive, there is a strong need in some to be the one that pulls the trigger and takes the life... personally i don't care where the bullet came from as long as we all go home with meat or eat dinner that night in the case of small game....

Patience, my friend is virtue, expected by all, yet practiced by so few....

Thanks Vince but to be honest with you I'm done with him... He can find someone else to hunt with not me.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post

I agree but if "YOU" tell me to do something I will follow it to a T and not deviate from it... That is my problem maybe not new to Alaska hunting i guess, if we tell you to do something do it...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I agree but if "YOU" tell me to do something I will follow it to a T and not deviate from it...
    do you think you could explain this concept to my boy?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

All I will say about this experience is it was a very special one!

I am pretty choosy about hunting partners or even guys I take fishing for that mater. Over the years I have had a large number of people ask me to take them or demand I take them with me and I have seldom given in. After this past week I doubt I will change the way I have been doing things, except to maybe be more choosy?

Some of you are correct, airing dirty laundry on the internet may not be the way to handle things but everyone is different and allowed to have their own opinions thanks to the free society we live in so if you don't like it don't read it and or don't comment on it. There is plenty of crap typed on this forum that I get heated over but normally I just sit back and go on to the next post and hope it is better. Yeah every now and then I get sucked in and bring down a post, I will just chalk that up to cabin fever or combat outpost fever much the same thing.

Alaskan22 you are correct a week in the woods will bring out anyone's true colors not to mention they might come out even sooner if atvs, boats, horses, or such are involved.

homerdave when you get your boy trained to do what you tell him will you stop by my place? I have three girls ages 10-16 that could use some lessons. On the other hand they listen to every word I say when in the outdoors so maybe they are trained?

dkwarthog I don't think this forum is up to a springer style posting of this past week if the event around the campfire is any indication of what will develop. I honestly thought it was the most immature and outlandish thing I have seen in camp. Sure wasn't what I wanted my teenage daughter to experience and one I doubt she will ever forget. Hopefully the failed stalk on that huge bull moose will overshadow that experience and be all she remembers in years to come.

My father only hunted with about three other guys while I was growing up and I never understood it at the time but have learned a lot about hunting partners this year and now think I understand why he did what he did.

Just a guess on my part but maybe new guys should be tried out a little closer to home on smaller game and on shorter trips where you can just turn around call it a day and drop them at their door step.

To those of you planning on taking out new hunting partners this season GOOD LUCK!!!

I had a sheep hunt with two guys that i didnt know real well that went all bad. When the "experienced" guy said "when you hear the shot bring the game bags" I knew I was in for a interesting 4 days of idiocy. I told him to take his own game bags because i was not going to sit in camp and wonder where they were exactly. Apparently He didnt get the clue because after i hiked the ridge east of them and gained higher elevation i watched them shoot a ram and start kicking it off the mountain with no hide attached as they were decending into a ravine. I ran down the mountain and climed up a ridge and got to them before they had kicked it off a ledge which i knew was not going to let them retrieve it again. I got the two shoulders into a game bag and told him not to kick the hind quarters any farther but he didnt listen. While back at camp i was so ticked off I had made a wrong choice of hunting with people i didnt know very well. I had an awsome time hikeing around the next three days being where probably no man has ever walked. There are 3 other bad parts but simply between takeing another animal and saying he was going to give it away to people not even on the hunt, not following my plan getting out of the valley from my viewpoint seeing it from higher elevation, and saying he was going to kill any other species in season on the drive home that night, I will never hunt with people of this character again. Thank God i now have a wife and two young girls that will allow me to have hunting partners. I feel your frustration

Live, learn, and laugh it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast