Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine Stories???

Default Wolverine Stories???

With all of the melodramatic banter on here recently, thought I would offer up a new subject hopefully a few of you can chime in on. We talk here often of Alaska's most majestic animals, yet one I never hear much about, is that elusive predator of the night, the Wolverine. So, if any of ya'lls have any stories about a run in with these cool critters, I'd like to hear about it. Here's my story from this past season. It also falls in line with the recent thread concerning sleeping with one in the chamber.

It was August 9th, the evening before sheep season opened. I had located a group of about 6 rams, that had all bombed down the mountain to feed. After watching the rams a bit from about 1000 yards, I decided to set up camp, and get to bed, as it was around 10 at night, and starting to get dark. I found a spot at the top of a ravine, that would hopefully put me in good striking distance the next morning, hoping the rams would still be there. I should mention, I was hunting alone, and when doing so, I don't bring a tent. So I layed out my bag and bivy, covered it with my space blanket, and crawled in. I then cooked up a tasty Mountain House Lasanga, and let my mind wander to the excitement I would hopefully be in for tomorrow.

After eating, I laid my head back and tried dozing off to sleep. I figure it was about 12:30 or so at this point, getting pretty dark. At about that time, I kept hearing some rocks falling, up in the shale slide above me, along with some peculiar snorting/grunting noises. I kinda figured it was just those darn sheep, antagonizing me, and went back to bed.

About 20 minutes or so later, finally in a dead sleep, something woke me up, and this something was very close. I popped my head up, and about ruined my shorts, when not 10 yards away, I saw the black outline of a Wolverine, walking directly towards my feet.

Now, I've always wondered how I would react, if I were ever in a situation with a bear, or anything else for that matter, that called for immediate, calm, cool, and collective action. Oh yeah, and back to the whole sleeping with one in the chamber thing. Well, due to my history of sleep walking, and doing all sorts of crazy things in my sleep (peeing on the Christmas tree one year), I've never had one in the chamber while I slept. But my rifle was laying along side me, underneath the space blanket.

So back to the Wolverine. The moment I spotted him at 10 yards, and realized what he was, I yelled "YO!!!!!" At this point, he was about 6 or 7 yards away, and stopped, staring directly at me. I tell you what, that was one of the most soul piercing stare downs I've ever been involved in. Well, in about .2 milliseconds, I grabbed my rifle, threw one in the chamber, flipped the caps up, and had the barrel, barrelling down on him. Did I mention it was dark. Well, looking through the scope didn't do a darn thing, couldn't see any crosshairs, just the black outline of that Ghost of the Night. Well, in hindsight, I should have looked down the barrel, but hey, I am still here to talk about it, so it didn't turn out that bad. Anyway, I held that dark outline in the middle of the picture, and KABOOM!!!! And, sure as heck didn't hit him, but he was gone like a flash. Actually, not a really a flash, he wasn't that fast, but he was outta there, and for the next 4 or 5 hours, every little noise had this boy puckered up pretty good.

On another note, I gave those sheep fair warning to what time of year it was, and didn't see a sign of em for days. Had to go back a week later, but finally got my sheep.

Anyway, if your still with me after that novel, please share any run in's with these critters you all have had. It was the third one I've seen, which makes me luckier than most, and only increased my fascination with Wolverines.

Thanks for you time, and have a nice day!!!
    J

Unhappy have a couple stories but no hide

my first encounter with the low rider was about 20 yrs ago,was drinking my morning brew and day dreaming out the window,have a very nice view of the nush and its surroundings,any way caught site of a caribou standing by its self and moveing oddly,got the glasses and only then saw it was being harsased by a low rider,well it did'nt take long to be geared up and on the sno-go,got up to were the bou was and only the low rider was present,just standing there looking at me like what the hek,needless to say i was unslinging my trustie 10/22 that i had just clean the night before and had the the critter in my sights at less then 50 yrds and pulled the trigger with no response,ejected the round and tryed again-no response,at this point the low rider took off and hit the brush in a hurry.lesson learn-back off on the oiling in the winter months of the great north land

Talking wolverine roll

I saw two wolverines shuffling along a caribou trail up on the Ho-Holitna one year and I tried to get a shot while they were heading into a gully. Apparently, the lead one must have been a female in heat, because the back one would tuck his head between his front legs and roll down the hill for a few yards, slide on his sides and flip all around like he was crazy. Did this several times, but the other one just kept on going into the brush, acting like the other one never even existed. Amazing to watch such a vicious animal act so foolish. I hope this doesn't parallel and trigger memories of some of you guy's own personal lives!

gusuk, close one huh?! almost shot a big game animal with a rimfire..lol
    had a slinky squirrel come into sheep camp this year, standing there have breakfast and looked over and he was staring in my ten about 10 yards from me, small one just poking around. season was closed outwise he'd have died by my tent. had a client miss one once, had a couple follow me stalking sheep and this past fall on a bear hunt we took one from a look out. you can see his pic at www.blackriverhunting.com on the grizzly page.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default wolverine

Saw one while sheep hunting. I was figuring out a route so I could get above a nice ram. I looked below where I had come up and saw what I thought was a bear, but then realized it was wolverine. A reddish colored one. It crossed my tracks and disappeared!

Other one I saw was out trapping. We left the cabin and had a wolf set torn up and had a wolverine foot in the trap! The tracks headed out into the trees and no way to follow, not that you would ever find it. We'll about 8 miles over the hill, I was crossing a lake and looked up and saw a wolverine running down the trail! I hit the throttle and caught up and it ended up in the deep snow, so I got off and shot it! It was the one that had just lost its foot in the trap! What is the chance of that??? What made it even better was about 6 miles from there we had another wolverine alive in a trap! A great trip!

I've seen only two.

The first during a moose/caribou float hunt in 93. I was still hunting along a dry slough, heard a snap and grunt in the brush to my left and lightly grunted back, at which point Mr. Gulo comes tearing out of the woods snarling until he see's Mr Sapien. He's as surprised that I'm not Mr. Alces as I am that he's not Mr. Alces. He slams on the brakes about 15 feet from me and about turns himself inside out reversing directions. The whole thing only lasted 3 maybe 4 seconds but remains one of my coolest wildlife encounters.

The second was last winter. I was cruising down the Denali Highway on my sled. I came over a rise in the road on a long stretch and 400 yards ahead is the unmistakable silhouette and undulating gait of a Wolverine crossing. I closed to a good vantage point about 100 yards of where he crossed, killed the sled, and watched him cross a big open area. It took about 5 minutes for him to drop into a creek bottom and out of sight.

Default Sat Phone Wolverine

We had been dropped off for a bear hunt out of Bethel a few years ago and since we hadn't seen any bears my brother shot a caribou close to camp. Every morning the first thing I did was check the gutpile to see if a bear had come around. On the second morning I knew something had been there and soon spotted a wolverine nearby. I knew we could shoot bears and caribou but didn't know about anything else and we didn't bring a copy of the hunting regs. I definitely didn't want to shoot anything that wasn't legal.

I quickly grabbed the sat phone and called my boss in Anchorage. When he answered I blurted out, "Get your hunting regs out, Unit 18 wolverine!" He didn't know who it was at first and asked how the caller knew he would have hunting regs at his desk. I quickly explained the situation and he was able to tell me it was legal for each of us to shoot a wolverine. I hung up grabbed my brother's 300, shooting sticks, and cranked the scope up to 14X. One shot at 214 yards and it was all over. What a unique trophy. Shooting a wolverine was better than getting a bear.

AKFOOL - Any pics to share?

I've seen one wolverine, but only for a few seconds at a time as he was running through the alders along a creek corridor. I was above him about 300 feet up a hillside and never had a clear shot. Actually, I didn't even think about trying to draw on him - he was moving too fast and was just really enjoyable to watch.

-Brian

Erik............any self respecting REAL hunter would have hit the throttle on the sled and had that wolverine tied behind him 5 min. later. You need to spend some time in rural Ak.................. :-)
    Don't tell me you didn't have a gun?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Erik............any self respecting REAL hunter would have hit the throttle on the sled and had that wolverine tied behind him 5 min. later. You need to spend some time in rural Ak.................. :-)
    Don't tell me you didn't have a gun?
    Ah, but you can't use a motorized vehicle to chase a game animal, right marten? Hmmm....

-Brian

Marten, I guess that makes me an UNREAL hunter lol

I was, at the moment sans firearm and to be honest, my only thought was I needed to come back out here the next winter with the .223...

Who said, "chase" there buddy? The snogo is used to position yourself for a shot. Sometimes it just takes longer than other times to get into the right "position".
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default all righty then...

glad this isnt the "no spin zone" Trap.

I've seen three gulo(s?) in my travels...Two different encounters in the sheep mountains way up high and one this past Spring crossing the Elliot while bear hunting.
    In all three cases they were very wary and made tracks when they spotted me.

Lb. per lb. toughest critter in the Alaskan wilds.

Default stories

My first hunt in Alaska was for caribou several years ago. We had bagged and packed out a couple bulls 2 days prior, and were now helping some other hunters field dress their bou in the vicinity of our kill sites. All of a sudden I had that uneasy feeling in my gut. . . .the kind you get when you eat too many blueberries. . . . which I did. So, I grabbed the tp and headed for the nearest brush patch. . . but for some reason enroute decided I'd head down hill a bit to a little larger one. As I was finishing my business, I heard a yell and looked up-hill to see a wolverine slinking out of the brush patch I had passed on. He'd been in there snacking/regurgitating on pieces of our carcasses he'd drug in there. Might have made for a more than exciting toilet experience if I'd gone the other way! One other story I heard from a guy I know involved him helping his brother kill and pack out a sheep to camp, where they arrived after dark. After rinsing their packs in the creek and stashing the sheep, they hit the sack. When they awoke in the morning, the sheep was all but gone! They thought a griz had been the culprit, but discovered wolverine tracks instead. After searching for hours, all they could find was a small chunk if the cape left. And to make matters worse, they discovered their camera had been ruined the night before in the pocket of their wet pack. Ouch!

The last spring bear season it was pretty chilly for most of the hunt. My usual tactic is to sit tight and glass but it was so cold we had a 2nd glassing spot so we could warm up changing positions. We were about 75yds from it one time and a wolverine came up the ravine and dug up the grassy nob and pissed all over it and (downwind) the smell and burning sensation we experienced even from our distance is hard to believe. My wife and I trap for a living but I've never come across a stench like that in wolverine before.

Default sheep hunting encounters

I like to trap wolverine in the winter, so I'm partial to nice January hides, but I've been tempted a few times in September. The first time was when my hunting partner and I were just climbing up a creekt to where we were going to camp for the night. It was Sept. 1st, and like a fool, I never bothered to look at the regs for wolverine for that unit. Well, I had the only gun, and as my partner and I went around different sides of this little hump, he ran into a wolverine, about 10' away, with no gun, he tried to shoo it over to me. It popped up in front of me, about 20' away, but I didn't react because I didn't know the season dates. As it was racing away, my partner ran around the hill yelling 'shoot it!', I said 'what about the season?', he said 'it's open, just shoot it'. Of course by that time the wolverine was just another rock in the distance. I was so bummed. Then 2 years ago, we were taking a quick break on top of a large flat bench. We had just climbed about 1000' to get a peek over a pass, to see if there were sheep on the back side. We sat down and as we were taking out the scope, a wolverine came loping up towards us. It loped about 50' from us, and kept on going. It never saw us, even though we were out in the open. We didn't want to shoot in case there were sheep over the hill.... Of course, no sheep, and no wolverine. Who says hunters aren't avid wildlife watchers!

Afew years back I was stalking a blk bear with my bow.
    I had spotted him way up a sidehill and was traversing gulleys uphill towards him. When I closed the distance to 200 yds, I sat and was thinking of my final approach, when movement below caught my eye.
    In the gulley below a wolverine was running straight up the middle.
    I couldn't believe it. I nocked an arrow and waited. He kept coming and
    at 20yds equal with me I drew and gave a bark, He stopped perfectly
    broadside staring my way. I let her loose and he rolled down the hill 70 yds. Was a male right at 48". Beautiful! Once and a lifetime.
    Cancelled the bear stalk. Only regret, no camera, idiot! Never again.

Default ...

I dont really know why ... but I think that a wolverine is the best "trophy" of all time ... (for me that is)

Does anyone have pics of their mounts? Or have most just tanned the hide and called it good?

Default wow!

Quote Originally Posted by cutty View Post
    Afew years back I was stalking a blk bear with my bow.
    I had spotted him way up a sidehill and was traversing gulleys uphill towards him. When I closed the distance to 200 yds, I sat and was thinking of my final approach, when movement below caught my eye.
    In the gulley below a wolverine was running straight up the middle.
    I couldn't believe it. I nocked an arrow and waited. He kept coming and
    at 20yds equal with me I drew and gave a bark, He stopped perfectly
    broadside staring my way. I let her loose and he rolled down the hill 70 yds. Was a male right at 48". Beautiful! Once and a lifetime.
    Cancelled the bear stalk. Only regret, no camera, idiot! Never again.
    Thats rarified air, Cutty. Probably very few Wolvarine ever taken with a bow...
    Way to go!

Default wolverine

Those things are fairly abundant and I bagged one/year the past 12 or so years. I'd have to resize a pic to post on here, don't want to do that now. One of the toughest creatures around, gnarly li'l buggers.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast