Thread: Go to fly for Silvers

Default Go to fly for Silvers

Alright, I'll try to simplify the situation as much as possible. You're fishing a brand new hole, you have never seen this place before but you know there's a pile of silvers laying on the bottom. You get your gear out, pop open the fly box, which fly do you choose?

To simplify the situation more, this hole is 4-6 ft deep and the water isn't moving terribly fast. But good enough for a decent drift. I'll let you guys figure out the color/clarity of the water based on the most common water for your area.

Me, Most water I'm fishing is brown muskeg water. First fly is usually a chartruese clouser during the early season. Purple ESL later.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

#2 purple esl bunny with pink head has been my favorite fly for silvers. Best ones I found were on the Alaska Fly Fishing Goods website. Being from Juneau, I am sure you are familiar. Those guys run a great shop. Below is the link to the fly I speak of. It is also my favorite fly for big dollies in NW. Got a 14 pounder on this fly.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yup, gotta love those. I buy most of my tying supplies from Brad. I tied some jigs last year that were just like that. Those things are deadly.

to narrow it down once more, what is your go to fly (color) on bright sunny days? which is what we are going to see here for the peak of coho season.

Ironically enough, it was a #2 bead head olive woolly bugger that got fish for us on a SW float when we had bluebird skies each day. All the pink and gaudy "silver" flies we took didn't work well at all. We got some silvers on esl and the olive wb. The bottom right of this box is the wb we got silvers on, just some cheap flies from Cabelas, but they worked well on the tight lipped silvers we found.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Pink clouser makes works well in cloudy water. In the clear I prefer purple esl or an all-red flash fly.

When we get the sunny days, like this week, the stream levels drop a ton and the water clears up. Water will be moving pretty darn slow and with the bright light I shy away from big flies and flashy flies. usually I'll go for the purple ESL, or I've got a fleshy pink maribou fly that I made up, anyone that did the last fly swap has one. Even a sparsely tied #2 clouser, usually in pink or orange has worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    When we get the sunny days, like this week, the stream levels drop a ton and the water clears up. Water will be moving pretty darn slow and with the bright light I shy away from big flies and flashy flies. usually I'll go for the purple ESL, or I've got a fleshy pink maribou fly that I made up, anyone that did the last fly swap has one. Even a sparsely tied #2 clouser, usually in pink or orange has worked well.
    I nailed a few saturday on a peachish flesh fly. And I usually get at least one every time I fish the same color on the kenai. For some reason the silvers like it as much as the bows??????

alright. olive plus a little flash. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9130304_crop.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	38925