Thread: German #4

Default German #4

I finally settled on and bought a scope for my .375 Ruger Alaskan and it arrived today. I purchased a Leupold VX-3 1.5x5 20mm with the German #4 and will use Warne QD's for the Ruger receiver.

After taking a look through the new scope tonight, I'm curious as to how this German #4 reticle compares to the heavy duplex for dangerous game situations and why quite a few folks end up with the #4 reticle on DG rifles?

I've hunted over 30 years with a standard duplex and wanted to give the German #4 a try on the .375 Ruger. It will be used for bear defense/hunting along with elk and moose hunting.

Granted I've only had it for a couple of hours so my experience with this reticle is very limited. So far, I do like it but was just wondering as to what there is about this reticle that makes it so popular over the heavy duplex.
    Last edited by AK Bear; 09-09-2010 at 21:03. Reason: Fix grammer
    NRA Life Member

I have one. Like my other scopes it is in Warne rings so I pulled the 2.5 x 8 Leupold off and put the 1.5 x 5 on. At 100 yards I could not see a difference in my groups. For sure it looks odd to those of us used to a standard Duplex reticle. I had Leupold's Custom Shop put a Post/Duplex reticle in a Leupold 1.75 x 6 scope. I think I like it better and may replace the German #4 in the 1.5 x 5. If I was shooting past dark like they do in other parts of the world I would probably want the #4. Still, it is a proven and popular reticle on calibers like yours.

I've had a #4 in a number of scopes and I really like them. I personally feel that they are faster than a duplex up close but I can't substantiate that in a meaningful way. I also like that they obscure less of the target- especially the heavy duplex.

At longer range I couldn't tell any difference (and no handicap either) but for snap shooting at 50 yds I think the #4 is easier and faster to use.

I have a Leupold Euro-model (30mm) 3x9 with a German #4. I have it mounted on my 30-06 Rem M-700 Titanium Mountain Rifle. I really like that scope. It seems to gather light better for some reason.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Lots of options in reticles, mostly because the market will support the variations. Having used a significant array of reticle types I've yet to see anything as an improvement over the standard duplex for any rifle that will serve general duty. Selecting a #4, dot, stadia wires, mil-dot, etc. (ad infinitum) reticle in its place is an improvement in only a few particular circumstances of shooting. This is not to be critical of your selection of a #4 for your new 375 Ruger (not necessarily a general duty rifle); that is an outstanding pairing in several instances. IMO a scope's only job is to provide an accurate means to place the bullet at POA. The quicker it can help you do that the better. A standard duplex is the best tool for an easy 80-90% of shot opportunities in the field or at the range. Personally, I'd rather cater to the majority of my use and work the edges than prepare for the edges and struggle for the majority of my shooting. Obviously, YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have a Leupold Euro-model (30mm) 3x9 with a German #4. I have it mounted on my 30-06 Rem M-700 Titanium Mountain Rifle. I really like that scope. It seems to gather light better for some reason.
    The 30mm tube can be credited for the extra light gathering abilities, I don't know the reasoning, maybe larger exit pupil. but I do know it works. I also have a leupold European 30 with the German #4, mine however is the 2-7 and it sits atop my 358 Norma.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

FYI -

Well, after putting the scope on my rifle, I can say I DO like this German #4 reticle and I believe it WILL aid in quick target acquisition - especially in the brush and low light conditions. Granted I havenít had it in the woods yet but while looking through it around the house it does appear to stand out compared to my standard duplex equipped Leupold on my Winchester M70.

Overall, the 1.5x5 and the German #4 reticle seems like a great combo for my .375 Ruger Alaskan and I am quite pleased overall with my Ruger/Leupold/Warne package!!!

Just wanted to pass along the results.
    NRA Life Member

That will be a very deadly combination.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

AK Bear- I had a very similar setup on my Alaskan... I used a Burris 1.75-5x with a #4. Perfect match to that rifle.

Back when premier reticles was a leupold distributor and could put custom reticles in leupy scopes w/o voiding the warranty, I had them fit one of their 4a reticles in a 2.5x compact. If I'd known they were going to sever ties with leupold, I would have had a few more scopes so fit.

Anyhow, the premier 4a has the same size fine lines on the inside of the reticle, but the heavy outer lines on the side and bottom as per the heavy duplex reticle. It provides quick sight aquisition, the heavy lines for low light where you have trouble finding the fine lines, and you still have the fine interior lines for precise shot placement.

I've yet to find any problem with that scope allowing me to shoot small groups, in spite of what some think about needing lots of magnification.

The only caveats are I don't like leupolds #4 nearly as much as premiers 4a, and I'm not sure the added cost of sending a scope to have a new reticle fit is justified for all aplications.

Paul- I wish I had Premier do a few more for me too back in the day.

I had a M8 scout scope made up with a German post and it was the fastest scope I've ever used hands down- I even made some longish shots with it even though that really wasn't its strong suit.

The post was similar to a #4 without the finer crosshairs intersecting the vertical post.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have one. Like my other scopes it is in Warne rings so I pulled the 2.5 x 8 Leupold off and put the 1.5 x 5 on. At 100 yards I could not see a difference in my groups. For sure it looks odd to those of us used to a standard Duplex reticle. I had Leupold's Custom Shop put a Post/Duplex reticle in a Leupold 1.75 x 6 scope. I think I like it better and may replace the German #4 in the 1.5 x 5. If I was shooting past dark like they do in other parts of the world I would probably want the #4. Still, it is a proven and popular reticle on calibers like yours.

I too would like to have a scope with the Post/Duplex reticle. I have the Leupold 1.75x6 on my .375 ruger alaskan. The 1.5x5 with the #4 just wasn't doing it for me. I think the 1.75x6 is a good compromise, would be excellent with post/ duplex. I think it is pretty much the opposite of the #4 right?

Check Leupold's web site for a pic of the post/duplex it. Horizontal and bottom vertical are thinner then a #4 and thinner then the heavy Duplex. If the #4 had the thick part about half the thickness it is now it would be near perfect for me. I am starting to feel like a thread hijacker!