Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean up your crap!

Default Clean up your crap!

Just a quick rant. Maybe this isn't the place for it, but I'm putting it here. On a few occasions out in the woods this year, I've come across areas that were littered to hell by slobs. Today was another one of those times. I don't have a ton of time off this year for moose, because I took a bunch of time off to chase sheep. Today, on one of my few days off, I hit the trails near the house to look for a moose. I hate litter, but I know sometimes things fall off a wheeler etc I get that it's not always on purpose. When I hit these trails, sometimes I'll come across a water bottle or something, so I'll stop and pick it up. Innocent enough in my opinion. However, today I found a recent moose kill. It was a very young bull (head was still there with nubbies), but none the less legal meat in the freezer! My first thought was darn someone got one back here (nice little pothole), my second thought was good for them. My third thought was what a bunch of lazy slob *******s! Whoever shot it, could muster the energy to clean it up good, and pack it out, but couldn't find the same energy to clean up their empty water bottles, cans, and purple (and blue) rubber gloves. This isnít the first time Iíve found this slobbery while out and about. The kill site was a good grip in, and there was evidence of a wheeler being used. That being said, I just cannot wrap my head around why those items were left behind. Pick up after yourselves, itís disgusting

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i hear ya, i get all kinds out at the claim area also.... i like to clean the kill site up also... if a gut pile is left i cover it and any head parts with the hide stretched over it,

it is not so UN - attractive and easier to spot if something else has been on it..

but i have another gripe too...

just got finished processing a couple of moose and have 3 .22 bullets 1 pellet and nearly 1/2 a shot shell of shot out of TWO moose hind ends...

WHAT THE HELL GIVES? when is it okay to wound a moose?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i hear ya, i get all kinds out at the claim area also.... i like to clean the kill site up also... if a gut pile is left i cover it and any head parts with the hide stretched over it,

it is not so UN - attractive and easier to spot if something else has been on it..

just got finished processing a couple of moose and have 3 .22 bullets 1 pellet and nearly 1/2 a shot shell of shot out of TWO moose hind ends...

Wow! Unreal. There are a bunch of morons out there for sure! It's not right.

THAT is just so not cool. Crap. Ya gotta wonder where their parents were when they sent those kids (yes, I'm guessing, here) out with those small arms... But so many parents are kinda-absent these days...

Here Here On this subject!
    Why do so many people go out to enjoy the outdoors and than leave a Big Ugly Mess for others that come behind them.
    I have a little spot that I like to take the family to on the Little O. Itís pretty popular and usually fairly well kept. This year we had to spend several hours cleaning the place up just to be able to stand the place. Thatís the bad news.
    Good News was we made a 2nd trip in a couple of weeks ago fully intending to spend some more time cleaning the place up, but someone had beat us too it.
    Whoever it was thanks for the work. We really appreciated it! Heck! If they came behind us, they probably thought we left the mess.

Than Labor Day evening the wife and I decide to take a hike up the Little Sue and although the trail was pretty well kept, there were still places along the trail where people had used the bathroom and just left the Baby Wipes and TP laying in plain site. UCK!
    Than again! The wife left one of the Dog leashes laying on a rock and we thought she had lost it, but some Good Samaritan had picked it up and left it in plain site at the trailhead. Thanks to them too!

Long and Short of it is. I hate it when others leave a mess. Havenít they ever heard of ďPack It In Pack It OutĒ or ďLeave No TraceĒ, they should be ashamed of themselves!
    On the other hand. There is a lot of ďGreat PeopleĒ out there that have great respect for the outdoors and their fellow Outdoorman, ladies and children. Heck! Whatís the proper term these days? J

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    THAT is just so not cool. Crap. Ya gotta wonder where their parents were when they sent those kids (yes, I'm guessing, here) out with those small arms... But so many parents are kinda-absent these days...
    ya know i am guessing ADULTS chasing moose out of gardens.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Can't agree more with you guys. There's nothing more disheartening than thinking you may be the first person to ever have walked some piece of beautiful, remote country followed by stumbling into some trash.

As a side question to you all, how do you personally feel about the following situation:
    - Hunter packs in food, spike camp.
    - The next day, hunter harvests animal.
    - Their bag is overflowing with fresh meat and gear, and can't find a place for a few cubic inches of trash.
    - They compact it down as small as possible, and bury it under a heavyish rock.
    - No evidence can be seen, unless rock is overturned.

I'm not personally condoning this behavior, but I once found an example I would assume went something like this when setting up a spike camp in a perfect flat spot next to a creek at the top of the mountain. Cool in one way because the old can I found had to have been at least 20-30 years old, and I got sort of a surreal feeling from it. Not cool in another, because animals might find it and munch down some plastic.

Any thoughts?

i think BURN IT if you can, carry out what wont burn, i see no point in burying trash the frost will eventually push out

meet on face book here

i just got finished processing a couple of moose and have 3 .22 bullets 1 pellet and nearly 1/2 a shot shell of shot out of TWO moose hind ends...
    That is completely unacceptable. I hope you have filed a report with the Troopers. If they know the area the moose were harvested from, perhaps this is a piece of the puzzle from some known bad behavior. You just never know, but it could be helpful or at least get them interested in knowing who is shooting moose with .22 rifles.

I once found the first 2-inches of a wooden target point arrow in the front shoulder of a moose. That was probably 20 years ago in the Swanson river area, well away from any residential areas. Makes you wonder.

I hate trash and I hate "litter bugs". I can't count how many hours I've "donated" to voluntarily clean up public lands. I'd be OK with bumping littering up to a misdemeanor offense. Heck, if a corporation can get charged with a felony for littering, why isn't there a more convincing punishment for individuals?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Probably the OP is preaching to the choir. I'll bet most people on this forum care about keeping the outdoors clean. It's the wannabe's and wouldbe's that don't care, and most of them don't frequent these parts (but if you do, grow a brain and a spine and carry out your @#$% trash, idiot).
    This weekend I found my favorite camp site littered with beer cans and found bunches of green trees hacked up. I hope that the hell they end up in has them neck deep in beer cans, bottles and cigarette butts.

It seems to be everywhere - I ride a bicycle 5 - 10 miles every other day and a lot of trips I carry my pack frame with a bucket strapped to it - so far this summer riding the same country roads I have picked up and sold over 220.00 worth of aluminum cans! It takes about 30 - 35 to make 1 lb at 45cents - do the math! That does not count the plastic and paper tossed out - what do people think anyway!!!
    And, you never can guess who it is, a friend of mine who is 69 yrs old did this.
    He lives on a farm, has a small ditch that can run water from time to time in front of his house - one day I was taking him home from a shoot we were at - he said to stop on the bridge - I did - he immediately threw out some soda bottles before I could say "what the heck are you doing?" Same guy on a trip to Manitoba on a bear hunt had the guide stop his PU truck so he could get out and pick up a plastic bottle on the remote road - kinda like "I want to impress you with my respect for nature" gester, yet I sat in the back thinking what a fake!
    I agree with ya Vince - likely moose may have been victum of garden raids if they are in the area? Still very pathetic....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

First off, I agree with everything said here regarding trash left in the woods. For some reason, trash left in the mountains bothers me even more...

I apologize in advance for the thread diversion, but will someone clear something up for me regarding the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    However, today I found a recent moose kill. It was a very young bull (head was still there with nubbies), but none the less legal meat in the freezer!

I should already know this, but maybe if someone chimes in, more people than just me can learn something.

Is a bull with "nubbies" (say 1 1/2" or 2" long) a legal bull if its still with the cow? I wouldnt think that this years calves would have nubs that long this early in the year.

I know the regs say some bull calves will have nubs by november, but I could have shot a bull the other night with nubs that was with a cow and obviously her offspring. He was probably 2/3 her size, ie if the cow was say 1200 lbs, he would be maybe 800...

I dont feel bad about not shooting him, even if he was legal...still with momma and all, just curious is all..

I hate to see trash in the outdoors, it drives me crazy. I try to pick up and haul out as much as possible when I can. I went into an area looking for moose last week and found an old dilapidated tent and a bunch of abandoned gear. This all was left on State land. What are the rules for removing this type of junk? There were some salvageable items, but most was trashed and appears to have been there for a couple years with nobody having used it.

Had the same experience with my wife's 2008 cow moose. I pulled 50-60 shot shell pellets out of the right hind quarter while processing the meat, #2-4 size shot. Not just under the hide but deep into the muscle tissue. Just last week I finished using up the last of the burger and I'm still finding pellets I missed originally.

This is very interesting this subject has come up twice this year, both times what pig fishermen are with all the trash they leave behind. It seams to be a subject no one was willing to comment about but me. Now that we are talking about hunters, several people are outrage and you should be. Why should it matter who is trashing Alaska, letís all put a stop to it?

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    First off, I agree with everything said here regarding trash left in the woods. For some reason, trash left in the mountains bothers me even more...

I apologize in advance for the thread diversion, but will someone clear something up for me regarding the following:

I should already know this, but maybe if someone chimes in, more people than just me can learn something.

Is a bull with "nubbies" (say 1 1/2" or 2" long) a legal bull if its still with the cow? I wouldnt think that this years calves would have nubs that long this early in the year.

I know the regs say some bull calves will have nubs by november, but I could have shot a bull the other night with nubs that was with a cow and obviously her offspring. He was probably 2/3 her size, ie if the cow was say 1200 lbs, he would be maybe 800...

I dont feel bad about not shooting him, even if he was legal...still with momma and all, just curious is all..
    Actually the first thing I thought was that it was illegal. I was pissed off about the trash, so I actually measured the nubbies. They were barely longer than they were wide, making them legal. It was a VERY young bull, with hair covering the nubbies, not the normal velvet. It was probably shot with momma, which I believe is illegal, but how do yo prove that? Anyone else know the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    This is very interesting this subject has come up twice this year, both times what pig fishermen are with all the trash they leave behind. It seams to be a subject no one was willing to comment about but me. Now that we are talking about hunters, several people are outrage and you should be. Why should it matter who is trashing Alaska, letís all put a stop to it?
    I agree. I don't spend a lot of time on the fishing portion of this forum. If I had seen it, I would have said something! You're right though. I pick up trash off the rivers and lakes in this area as well. The one thing that gets me is the 50 ft sections of mono people through on the ground. Slobs! One step further. I'm a huge bird hunter. I cannot for he life of me understand why folks leave their empty shot shells on the gound! I pick up mine, and others as well.

I agree about the leaving your mess after the hunt. Burn it or pack it out. And, if you live in Alaska, Sportsmans Warehouse sells a military style "e-tool" (small folding shovel for civilians). Take that with you! When you gotta go, straiten out the handle and tighten the screw-down there. Then loosen the shovel head screw down and set the shovel head at a right angle, then tighten that screw down. Then dig a nice 1' wide by 1' deep hole. Wipe the shovel head clean. Placing the handle down next to the hole, drop your drawers and sit on the shovel head with one thigh. When you're done filing paperwork, fill the hole in using the shovel.
    Camp Shovel (e-tool)............................................. .....................................$8.00
    Biodegradable, flushable moist wipes............................................. ...............$1.75
    Taking a dump and not making the rest of the world see and smell it................ Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Actually the first thing I thought was that it was illegal. I was pissed off about the trash, so I actually measured the nubbies. They were barely longer than they were wide, making them legal. It was a VERY young bull, with hair covering the nubbies, not the normal velvet. It was probably shot with momma, which I believe is illegal, but how do yo prove that? Anyone else know the answer?
    Um don't you have to retrieve the rack? It sounds like they were definatly doing something wrong. (in addition to the littering)

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Um don't you have to retrieve the rack? It sounds like they were definatly doing something wrong. (in addition to the littering)
    It's an any bull area, so I don't think you have to bring the antlers out. Plus there wasn't much as antlers go! I guess they could have cutt off the nubbies and put them in their front pocket! LOL. Anyway, I think evidence of sex is all that matters in an any bull area. I suspect a touch of wrong doing, but I won't accuse anyone with out proof. In this case, there is no proof they did anything wrong other than LITTER! So at this point, they are only guilty of being slobby pigs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast