Thread: New to the forum... Need hunting help

Default New to the forum... Need hunting help

Hi everyone. I just learned about this site on Monday and I've been reading all week.

I'm in the Army and I've been here about 2 1/2 years, minus deployments. I'm at Wainwright. I've been trying to hunt caribou and I'd like to hunt moose, but I need some help. I don't know where to go or when. Last weekend I hunted on the Dalton. The weather was bad, and by the time I had walked the 5 miles in it was raining. Plus I saw no caribou the whole time. I hunted up there last year, too, but didn't get anything.

I was wondering if anyone would let me go along on a hunt. I'll help pack out meat and I can give away most of anything I shoot. I only need some meat for my wife and I. Some poeple I work with can give me info (one told me about that spot on the Dalton) but I'd really like to go with someone who knows what they're doing. I've hunted whitetail all my life, but it's a lot different up here.

I'm up for going this weekend. Even if you could tell me about a place I might have some luck, I'd appreciate it. I'm pretty limited because I don't have an ATV or a boat. So I'll have to go in either on my 4x4 or LPCs.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

gimme a call after 8 tonight, i may have a seat open tomorrow leaving for a moose hunt from Fairbanks around noon...back on sunday eve.

Vince978*8218

i have one other guy that i have already invited that has not returned my note yet....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yer a good Man , Vince.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Yer a good Man , Vince.
    hey shut the hell up i have a reputation to maintain,, and here you go trying to ruin it......

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you don't do any good with Vince this weekend, I am headed out the next weekend (17-19 Sept). Let me know. I live south but go norht to hunt.

Randy

wherethembouat... headed out this afternoon and have a seat in the prowler.. gimme a shout all ya need is a sleeping bag and food, clothes full camp already set up, can't promise you'll shoot a moose but i can show them to you, and probably send you some meat home if my partner fills his cow tag this weekend...

meet on face book here

I called and talked to Vince, and he invited me out this weekend. Thanks for the help Vince. I wish I had known about the forum years ago.

Alaskans helping Alaskans, there is still hope for mankind at least in AK!

That's great of you Vince to take one of our soldiers out.

wherethembouat,
    Thanks for serving our country, I hope you connect with a tundra bull.

Quote Originally Posted by wherethembouat View Post
    I called and talked to Vince, and he invited me out this weekend. Thanks for the help Vince. I wish I had known about the forum years ago.
    now where is our evil hand wringing, smily guy when we need one....

see ya after work, and we'll show ya what moose hunting is all about....

meet on face book here

Well I hope it all works out... and everyone has a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well I hope it all works out... and everyone has a good time!
    Had a great trip with Bradley, unfortuanaly he did not shoot his own moose that would have been the icing in my book, but he did help out when my buddy bagged his first ever at age 69...

meet on face book here

Awesome, you are a great man Vince! Now only if I can find someone to take this Bradley lol.

wherethembouat definitely take him up on it, I've been here about the same amount of time and am trying to learn my way around. We're having fun but no success. Soak up all the knowledge he offers you, I too have hunted whitetails for many years but Alaska hunting is all together different and not many offer much help here.
    Paul

WHERETHEMBOUAT and Ray (sorry for taking so long)

wherethembouat.... NOW???? one quarter= one white tail!

meet on face book here

Very very cool guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Zinker View Post
    Very very cool guys!
    lol what was even cooler, was setting a front shoulder in his wifes mini van!!!! LOL i thought more fur was gonna fly! hope they enjoy it.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    lol what was even cooler, was setting a front shoulder in his wifes mini van!!!! LOL i thought more fur was gonna fly! hope they enjoy it.
    Haha I went bear hunting in my wife's Scion Xb lol. Kinda glad I din't get anything!

Vince: If you have the time or tolerance to take anyone else out whether it's small game or what not I am dying to get out somewhere. My other Alaska newb is in AFG at the moment so I am solo without a clue. I am willing to be a tagalong not a hunter, but a student of yours!

Wherethembouat: Do you live on Post I saw someone last night taking care of shoulder had it hanging on a wooden "swing" frame?...

Quote Originally Posted by Zinker View Post
    Haha I went bear hunting in my wife's Scion Xb lol. Kinda glad I din't get anything!

Vince: If you have the time or tolerance to take anyone else out whether it's small game or what not I am dying to get out somewhere. My other Alaska newb is in AFG at the moment so I am solo without a clue. I am willing to be a tagalong not a hunter, but a student of yours!

Wherethembouat: Do you live on Post I saw someone last night taking care of shoulder had it hanging on a wooden "swing" frame?...
    were both up oin Fairbanks Zinker.. but if you get up this way... swing in..

meet on face book here

That is very cool of you Vince. I am stuck down here in eagle river and also one of those guys looking for a hunting buddy. I would like to thank you for helping him out that is great! I hope to get more time out next year. Is there more game up there vs down around my area?

Mont hunter