Thread: question for a taxidermist

Default question for a taxidermist

Is it possible to get a mount of an antlered speicies if all you have is the Antlers on the skull plate? Meaning is it possible to get ahold of a cape and skull and how much more would it cost?

yes, When doing a shoulder mount of an animal you do not use the skull. You place the skull plate on a form of the animal. If you did't save the cape of an animal you can usually buy a cape from your taxidermist if he has one, or you could possibly find one on taxidermy.net, but make sure you talk with you taxidermist about the cape you plan on buying to make sure it is a decent deal.

Hope this works for you. What are you wanting to mount?

Well I would like to do my largest caribou. Time and money prohibited me at one time so all I have is pictures and the rack. Thanks for the info.

Default Bison tanning

My mother drew the Bison permit and was thinking about getting the hide tanned. Any recommendations for an Alaskan based taxidermists?

No problem, you should be able to find a decent caribou cape. If you have trouble finding one PM me, I have a couple already tanned that are nice capes.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherAK View Post
    My mother drew the Bison permit and was thinking about getting the hide tanned. Any recommendations for an Alaskan based taxidermists?
    Are you just looking to get it tanned? Alpha in anchorage is the biggest company in Ak, but I still would be careful with them. There are numerous threads on here of people who had problems with them. I ship bears to them, capes and fur to new method in California.

When I shot my bison I sent the cape out to tan so I could mount it, and sent the back half to alpha. I only wanted the back half tanned to throw over the couch for a warm blanket and they worked fine for that.

Quote Originally Posted by akfirefighter View Post
    No problem, you should be able to find a decent caribou cape. If you have trouble finding one PM me, I have a couple already tanned that are nice capes.
    That would be great! Your PM box is full so free up some space then PM me the price on one of those capes. Thanks allot for your help. Are you a taxidermist?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Talking to Hoyt guy last week he also has a couple caribou capes in palmer..if Ak fire fighter can't work somthing out with you
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Where is he located?

Default Lungshot

I have a couple capes.. 1 from last year and I saved 2 off big bulls my kids took this year.. Give me the time and I can find one that closely matches in color to the one you have taken.. If your located in the anchorage area I can do your bou for you also. or you can ship it to me.. Ive taken stuff in from Sitka, Kodiak, Soldotna and Yakutat.. Drop me a pm and we can go from their.. Here is a caribou my daughter took last year in the brooks.. I did is a custom 360 floor pedestal, Rotates all the way around and is on a hand made solid walnut base 26" high..

Dahlberg's Taxidermy
    Palmer, AK
    Attached Images Attached Images