Thread: My first kill with a handload

Default My first kill with a handload

I have to admit, I was kind of nervous about using the Barnes TTSX after reading about some of the expansion and penetration problems some people had posted, but they performed flawlessly against my moose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41002_1344196256129_1567928475_30711631_7676074_n.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	38801

I bullet passed through the shoulder, ribcage, heart, then the other side in reverse order with a complete passthrough. The damage to the heart was massive with two of the chambers blown out. This shot was from a Browning 300WSM using 180gr Barnes TTSX bullets. Needless to say, he didnt go far.

Excellent shot!!!
    Always said- 'Put one thru the boiler room and they don't go far'

Can't hit'em in a better spot, right through the middle of that sucker. Nice going.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Coming from someone who has never killed anything bigger than a corn fed whitetail all I got to say is....that's a big azz heart!

Nice job!

Awesome! I haven't hunt with handloads yet, as I'm new and have focused on reloading revolver rounds more.

Good for you!

Tim

Great shot and congrats on a fine moose. I was up opening week and only saw cows and a big sucker with 2 tines and a spread in the 40's. I'm looking forward to putting a 300gr TSX in the same spot.

Enjoy your moose.

With shot placement like that, just about any bullet would work just fine. Good job!

Of course, the flip side of it working out so well is serious addiction. There's an extra measure of satisfaction in using stuff you made yourself, and one thing leads to the next. Let's see now- Handloading, gunsmithing, leather working.... It's all downhill from here!!!!

Good job.

Nice shot! haven't taken any big game yet myself, but when I do it will be with my handloads.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I keep coming back to your pic. It reminds me of a pic of my Dad holding a basket ball size moose heart back in the 70's with a hole made by a 30-30. Great shot and congrats again...

Nice shot! One in the fuel pump always works wonders!

Oh Man, that is a great picture, Nice Job, Apparently, your Handloading is going Quite Well.

Just took down my first Handload Big Game this spring and I can relate, what a great deal. But that is one seriously nice kill shot there.

Well Done
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !