Thread: Soldotna fishing

Default Soldotna fishing

I convinced the wife to spend this weekend in Soldonta so I can do some early morning fishing heheh. It'll be my first time fishing in that area. I'll have to fish from shore since I dont have a boat yet. Any pointers on where to fish and what to use? my target will be silvers and trout. Thanks.

Lots of people fishing at Centenial Park. Using eggs, just watch what every one else is doing. I went out with a guide yesterday and another guy and myself caught our limit and was off the water in 3 hours. Get out there while the weather is nice!!!!!

Hit the visitor center boardwalk at first light, earlier if you got some lighted bobbers, fish roe under the bobber about 2 feet, put a split shot about 8 inches from the bait. Fish the edge of the current and float the roe down the river while walking the boardwalk. Just join the crowd and enjoy the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    Hit the visitor center boardwalk at first light, earlier if you got some lighted bobbers, fish roe under the bobber about 2 feet, put a split shot about 8 inches from the bait. Fish the edge of the current and float the roe down the river while walking the boardwalk. Just join the crowd and enjoy the fun.
    Thanks. i'll do that first thing tomorrow morning. I got the whole morning to myself! hahaha. we just got to the hotel and i must say its perfect for the family. Lucky i brought my frozen roe to fish with.. not my best cure but that'll have to do. i'll try beads as well for some trout action. what size do you all recommend? i've got the pline bead pack which comes in 10 colors and size 6mm and 8mm.

If the fishing is good and you are running short on roe, Kens Alaskan Tackle has roe for sale right across the street. I have also had luck there with maribou jigs under a bobber fished the same way as roe. If there happens to be seals in the river that day, the salmon can get lockjaw. Happened to me a few times last year. My boss was up there last weekend and did ok. I would fish a bead pattern 8 mm in roe color. Had a lot of trout stealing my roe, friends wife landed a huge dolly while silver fishing. Also might be worth while to try a flesh fly just downstream from the cleaning table for trout.

Good luck

im hoping to test the waters a little before dark. got my cheap fly rod rigged up with size 8 pinkish bead.