View Poll Results: Do you support the legalization of bear snaring outside of a predator control program

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

109 52.91%
  • No

79 38.35%
  • Undecided

18 8.74%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ADFG Recommends to LEGALIZE BEAR TRAPPING

Default ADFG Recommends to LEGALIZE BEAR TRAPPING

Fellow hunters and trappers,

Our own Department of Fish & Game has recommended to legalize black bear trapping (using foot snares) in several areas of the state, open to anyone who purchases a trapping license. This would be done outside any formal bear control plan.

These new bear trapping regulations will be heard at the upcoming October 8-12 Board of Game meeting in Anchorage, that was originally supposed to only be an emergency meeting to discuss the Nelchina caribou allocation issue.

You will likely be reading much more about this in the weeks ahead. Alaska Backcountry Hunters strongly opposes bear trapping in Alaska. I hope many of you will join us in opposing any bear trapping seasons with written comments to the Board and showing up at the meeting to sign up and testify as well.

The Dept proposal can be read here:
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...Book-final.pdf

It begins on page 50 of that pdf file, is proposal #36

Alaska would be the only place in North America where it's legal trap black bears where grizzly bears are also present. To legalize "black bear" trapping is essentially to also legalize grizzly bear trapping. It is impossible to only catch black bears.

Also I have heard there is a push as well to allow non-residents to trap bears as a part of this, and for guides to be able to have foot-snare stations for clients.

Beyond that, everywhere else black bears are legally snared (Maine and a few Canadian provinces), those places have determined that the only "ethical" way to do it is to mandate that the trapper must check the snares every 24 hours. The Department recommends going to a 48 hour minimum check time.

Now I'm a longtime and current trapper, and I certainly have nothing against trapping, but I simply do not want to see this happen in Alaska, to allow the trapping of bears outside a formal predation control plan.

This is being pushed by the governor's office and ADFG leadership, Pat Valkenburg and Corey Rossi. I have not spoken to one manager or biologist within the Dept who agrees with this or supports it. It is being rammed down their throats. It is wrong imo what is going on, will hurt the reputation and integrity of the Dept, and this doesn't really help hunters and trappers in how the public perceives us.

I will post more info on this down the line, busy getting ready for moose hunting here. The way this whole thing went down, to not allow public proposals to be submitted (AK BHA submitted a proposal of our own on bear trapping regs, but it was denied under the claim that the "call for proposals" for this meeting was specific to Nelchina caribou issue) after we were notified of this "agenda change request," to do all this during the time when most hunters are afield and will be afield, and when Advisory Committees can't meet...well it all stinks to high heaven in my book. It is a subversion of our public process. For the first time ever the Board will consider legalizing bear trapping in Alaska, yet this is how it's being done?

Pshaw.

I have attached the proposal we sent in, that was rejected, that has much more info and data. Please read it and join with me to oppose this with written comments and attendance at the October meeting.
    Thank you,

Attached Files Attached Files

No offense to you Mark, but I want to see the opposite of what you propose. I hope that people push to allow this to happen. I agree with your opposition that the non-resident and guide thing is bogus.

Whats wrong with trapping bears? If its ok for one furbearer than its ok for the other one. If your argument is that "its a bear" than you are putting more value in a bear than another animal. That would not be fair to either animal.

woundedknee,

No offense taken. I understand there are some hunters who may support bear trapping seasons. I don't believe the vast majority do though.

Read the Dept proposal and read the proposal I attached, will fill you in on our stance.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Mark your prop was rejeted because all of this was carried over from last spring, when the props were written and tesomony was given. Did you see my other post that they WILL allow a comment period on this yet again?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This would be a good one for a poll Mark. Then we can see how we feel about the prop without having to post our names. Not that I am worried for myself... I would support it.

Steve, good idea on the poll. If I could add it to this I'd do it...maybe Brian or one of the other mods can add it to this thread.

Vince, don't recall your other posting, but yes indeed the Board will take oral testimony on the bear trapping regulations and written comments. So how do you feel about legalizing bear trapping seasons?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Vince, don't recall your other posting, but yes indeed the Board will take oral testimony on the bear trapping regulations and written comments. So how do you feel about legalizing bear trapping seasons?

Got any buckets for sale?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This will certainly be interesting to see how this is supported or not................

Well Mike???

Complete support here. Mark, do you oppose wolf trapping in places where moose and bou might be a by catch? Are wolf trappers able to learn to avoid moose and bou? Bear trappers can learn to avoid griz, use release mechanisms. Whatever.
    The only group hurting trappers/ hunters is yours, Mark. Led by unwarranted rants from you and Dave.
    This is a starting point for trappers. Plenty of opportunity to learn and refine the methods used. Glad to see Corey and Pat bringing more opportunity to the people of Alaska.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Complete support here. Nothing more than another tool made available to those of us who enjoy our freedoms in Alaska.

However I do think this post is located in the wrong forum. Trapping should never be confused with hunting, nor hunting with Trapping.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Mark,
    Well written proposal, better than most I have seen. After reading it am I correct that the main concerns are grizzly and cub catches? I don't see either of these as a reason not to do it. Some people like brown bear and I always wanted a set of bear slippers. Joking aside I don't see the difference between what bear gets caught in the trap, old or young, its still just a bear. I feel that an animal is just an animal, doesn't matter if mature, young, male or female. I understand the biology (thats what the degree is in) but just because something is controversial doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.
    At the very least I hope it is given a shot, if it's a disaster they can put an end to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Complete support here. Nothing more than another tool made available to those of us who enjoy our freedoms in Alaska.

However I do think this post is located in the wrong forum. Trapping should never be confused with hunting, nor hunting with Trapping.
    No dog in this fight but huntress is right. Mods move please.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Well Mike???
    Now, I am on the spot! I have not read through the proposal yet...... Honestly, to just open this up to anyone, I do not support at all. I can only imagine (and maybe I am totally wrong) having buckets hanging all over the place. Maybe some will call me a hypocrite as I like to eat my moose, caribou, and sheep, but I also try to do my best to harvest as many predators as I can. Believe me, trapping of bears is not going to be anything like trapping of wolves. Bears will come into anything and will be easily snared.

I personally like baiting bears and hunting them. I was personally asked what I thought of this this spring as this was already known that it was going to be "forced" down people's throats! I stated that I like to hunt bears. I bait bears every spring and enjoy seeing the different ones and being selective. If I wanted them all dead, I would/could easily kill them all. I am talking I could shoot and kill 30-50 bears a spring. Then what? Then I would bait to see 1 or 2 per year? This is an activity that I do with my kids and friends. It is something I enjoy doing and enjoy being able to see multiple bears. We "take" almost all of the bigger bears that are most likely the ones responsible for killing moose calves and in our area we have seen an increase in calf survival and more moose, so it is working I believe and is a "happy medium". I "support" predator control, but do not support wide spread indiscriminate killing of bears. With that said, I am leaning to "NOT" support this, but I do need to read the proposal to see all of what is proposed and then I will make my final decision.

With all due respect, I would really appreciate if this post stays on the hunting forum. I think this is an issue all hunters here should know about and frankly it is a mix of both hunting and trapping being proposed here.

Mike (martentrapper),

With all due respect, I keep hearing the argument that the incidental catch of grizzlies in black bear snares is similar to how trappers like us sometimes may catch a moose or caribou in a wolf snare. I kinda had to laugh when I first heard that. Because with bear snaring someone is going out after members of the same Ursidae family. One just happens to be bigger in the paws as an adult is all.

I just don't see the similarity.

The only real thing that can be done to avoid catching adult grizzlies is to decrease the size of the opening on the bucket set where the bear sticks his or her paw in. Thing is it doesn't stop a one year old cub, still with mama, or subadult, from getting caught. And being as how trapping, in general, is something it really takes many years to learn...well certainly it would be interesting, ay, to allow every Tom Dick and Harry who buys a trapping license to go out, and for the first time anywhere in North America, trap for bears where grizzlies will also be caught.

I suppose the compromise I'm looking for here, would be to continue our current Bear Conservation and Management Policy that states that sows with cubs, and cubs, and any bear trapping, can only take place as part of a formal predation control implementation plan. All this can't happen without changing that Policy. Once we go down the road of getting away from clear policy and due process that directs how we manage predators, and turn the reigns over to a future BOG to do whatever they may want with bears...well I have big concerns on that.

woundedknee, thanks for the comments, and yes you are correct in your assumption on what our opposition is about. But that's not all...the other stuff in the proposal as well. And keep in mind, re the grizz slippers <grin>, that in order for this to be fly, grizzly bears would have to be declared as "illegal" incidental catches. Any grizzlies caught, or other grizzly bears shot at snaring sites (like if a cub is caught and mama and another cub is around), would have to be skinned and hide and skull turned over to the state. Essentially, this is saying "we know you will also catch some grizzlies, sorry but you have to skin and pack them out and forfeit them to us."

This will not be moved to the trapping forum. This issue is of direct concern to all bear hunters and is thus appropriately discussed here.

I'll add a poll in a moment.

Brian, being a member of the alaskabackcountryhunters.org has not influenced your decision has it? Had someone come into the trapping forum and rallied the support of trappers on a Moose, caribou or muskox issue it would be moved immediately......even though most of us who trap also hunt. Hunting and or "control" was used in the proposition only to prove a point. I don't see how this has anything to do with hunting and should not be confused as such.
    I disagree, this is not a hunting issue...the prop clearly states that its a trapping/snaring issue. I also don't agree on the forum being used in such a way to rally support for the views of one organization.

Just one persons opinion.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default This is a major hunting issue as well as trapping issue, Huntress

Huntress, I respect your take on this. But here is a part of the Dept proposal recommendations:
    "If a trapping season is established, only centerfire firearm or an elevated bucket foot snare will be allowed as methods of take. Same-day-airborne shooting with a trapping license (as long as trapper is 300 feet from the aircraft), should be allowed, even if a black bear is not snared."

Just saying that this is classified as "trapping" but there are a lot of black bear management and hunting issues with it too.
    Sincerely,
    [edit: Brian thanks for adding the poll]

Mark, it is no different than being able to take fur-bearers with a firearm under your trapping license. It is still "trapping". This can be very misleading for the general public who aren't educated in the terms or someone who may not know the difference...

Default Here is the text of the ADFG proposal

Some have told me they are having a hard time getting to the actual ADFG proposal I linked to. Here it is in two parts, sorry if the formatting is off:

Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    Bear Trapping Recommendations and Proposed Regulations
    (September 2010)
    Background
    In the January 2009 statewide Board of Game meeting, black bears were classified as furbearers. This means that they may again be taken under trapping regulations with a trapping license if a trapping season is established by the Board of Game. It also means that all sales of black bear hides (raw and tanned) and parts (except gall bladders) became legal (as of 1 July, 2010). Black bear hides and parts must still have a CITES permit if transported out of the country, however.

Trapping of black bears is now also allowed in Maine, Quebec, New Brunswick, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan, and sale of black bear hides is also allowed in Idaho, Utah, and Montana, and some sale of bears is allowed in all Canadian provinces (black bears, grizzly bears, and polar bears). In Maine about 75 bears are trapped each year by about 330 permittees, including about 25 nonresidents. Nonresidents are not required to have a guide for bear trapping in Maine, but most hire guides because of convenience and the high success rate. Maine’s bear trapping program has encountered relatively little controversy since a ballot initiative to ban bear trapping was defeated in 2004. Sale of bear hides has not been shown to be a conservation issue in North America.

Recommendations
    At the present time, the Department of Fish and Game (department) recommends that there should be no trapping season for black bear in most areas of Alaska. The department is only recommending establishing trapping seasons in a few areas of the state, mainly Interior Alaska, to help with bear management problems—primarily to alleviate predation on moose calves in some moose populations and to experiment with bear trapping techniques as a management tool. It is the department’s intent to use trapping as a management tool for black bears and grizzly bears where hunting is not sufficiently effective to achieve population management goals. At the present time, the department does not recommend using trapping as a method to simply increase harvest opportunity for black bears. The Board could always do that in the future, but a few more years experience with bear trapping programs is desirable before trapping becomes more widespread. The department has the following recommendations for the Board of Game for regulations that will apply if a trapping season is established:
    If a trapping season is established, only centerfire firearm or an elevated bucket foot snare will be allowed as methods of take. Same-day-airborne shooting with a trapping license (as long as the trapper is 300 feet from the aircraft), should be allowed, even if a black bear is not snared. In addition, some of the restrictions that currently exist for black bear baiting under hunting regulations should be considered for bear trappers using bait, except that there will be no limit on the number of bucket snares a trapper may run. Trappers will be required to salvage either the hide or the meat of the black bear, and must check their bucket foot-snare sets at least every two days.
    Page | 51
    Seasons will occur when bear hides are most useful and prime, unless management objectives will not be achieved. Longer seasons, including year-round seasons may be needed to reduce bear numbers in some areas. There should generally be no bag limit for bear trapping. Sealing for bears sold within the state should not be required unless there is a sealing requirement for the Game Management Unit where they are taken.
    Since trapping activities do not allow specific animals to be targeted, any black bear, including sows with cubs, and cubs, will be legal. In addition, same-day-airborne restrictions will not apply to black bear trappers. This flexibility is necessary to allow dispatch of bears near snares and other bears in the group attempting to protect a snared bear. Regulations and bag limits (any bear) will need to be considered concerning same-day-airborne incidental harvest of brown bears that must be dispatched if snared or accompanying a snared bear.

Bucket snares, when used correctly, catch a very limited number of brown bears and or bear cubs. A reporting and salvage requirement will be established for incidentally taken brown bears. Consistent with other big game species taken outside of legal methods and means, incidentally caught brown/grizzly bears will have been taken illegally and will become the property of the state, unless retention of grizzly bears, sale of hides, etc. is specifically desired by the Board as an aid in meeting management objectives. Black bear trapping seasons will be closed by department emergency order if a pre-determined number of brown bears are taken incidental to black bear trapping.

The department is interested in discussing three options with the Board for considering the involvement of nonresidents in bear trapping: 1) not allowing participation by nonresidents, 2) requiring nonresidents to be accompanied by a second-degree-of kindred resident (who is also registered to trap bears) over the age of 16, or 3) requiring nonresidents to be accompanied by any resident (who is also registered to trap bears) over the age of 16. Complexity of implementation increases by including nonresidents, particularly as regards the statute preventing take of brown/grizzly bears without a guide. However, eliminating nonresidents may significantly reduce the chance of success and the incentive for residents to participate in some bear management programs, including trapping.

The department is recommending that the Board at least require all trappers to register with the department. Howerver, the Board may wish to require registration permits for all bear trapping, although this will require a greater effort on the part of department staff, registration permits will allow Area Biologists to specify permit conditions. Given the potentially dangerous situations, a minimum age limit (16), along with education and orientation requirements as a condition of the permit may be advisable.
    Unless additional regulations are changed, black bear trappers would be allowed to use mechanized access in the Glacier Mountain Controlled Use Area, Ladue River Controlled Use Area, Upper Kuskokwim Controlled Use Area, and the Holitna - Hoholitna Controlled Use Area, since current restrictions only apply to hunters. Aligning brown/grizzly hunting seasons and black bear trapping and hunting seasons should be considered if the Board decides to allow trappers to retain incidentally caught brown/grizzly bears.
    Page | 52
    The Board of Game approved this proposal be added to the agenda through an Agenda Change Request.
    PROPOSAL 36 - 5 AAC 84.270. Furbearer trapping.; 92.0XX Black bear trapping requirements.; 92.051. Discretionary trapping permit conditions and procedures.; 92.080. Unlawful methods of taking game; exceptions.; 92.095. Unlawful methods of taking furbearers; exceptions.; 92.165. Sealing of bear skins and skulls.; 92.200 Purchase and sale of game.; 92.220. Salvage of game meat, furs, and hides.; 92.990 Definitions.; and 99.025. Customary and traditional uses of game populations. Implement black bear trapping regulations as follows:
    5 AAC 84.270. Furbearer trapping. Trapping seasons and bag limits for furbearers are as follows:
    Units and Bag Limits Open Season Bag limit

(XX) Black Bear
    RESIDENTS AND NONRESIDENTS
    Unit 12, that portion Apr. 15–June 30 No bag limit, by
    north of the Alaska July 1–Oct. 15 registration permit
    Highway, and only; may be closed
    west of the Taylor by emergency order
    Highway when XX brown
    bears incidentally
    taken.
    Unit 16(B) Apr. 15–June 30 No bag limit, by
    July 1–Oct. 15 registration permit
    only; may be closed
    by emergency order
    when XX brown
    bears incidentally
    taken.
    Page | 53
    Unit 19(A) Apr. 15–June 30 No bag limit, by
    July 1–Oct. 15 registration only;
    may be closed
    by emergency order
    when XX brown
    bears incidentally
    taken.
    Unit 19(D) Apr. 15–June 30 No bag limit, by
    July 1–Oct. 15 registration only;
    may be closed
    by emergency order
    when XX brown
    bears incidentally
    taken.
    Unit 20(E) Apr. 15–June 30 No bag limit, by
    July 1–Oct. 15 registration permit
    only; may be closed
    by emergency order
    when XX brown
    bears incidentally
    taken.
    Unit 25(D), outside the Apr. 15–June 30 No bag limit, by
    Dalton Highway Corridor July 1–Oct. 15 registration only;
    may be closed
    by emergency order
    when XX brown
    bears incidentally
    taken.
    Page | 54
    5 AAC 92.0XX Black bear trapping requirements. Establish a new regulation for black bear trapping requirements as follows:
    (a) A person may not trap a black bear with the methods in 5 AAC 92.095, without first obtaining a trapping license and registering with the department.
    (b) In addition to any condition that the department may require under 5 AAC 92.051 black bear trapping is subject to the following provisions:
    (1) a person must be at least 16 years of age to trap black bear;
    (2) only biodegradable materials may be used as bait; if fish or game is used as bait, only the head, bones, viscera, or skin of legally harvested fish and game may be used;
    (3) a person who uses bait or scent lures must remove bait, litter, and equipment from the site when baiting is completed;
    (4) except in Units 12, 13, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 25(D), a person may not give or receive remuneration for the use of a black bear bait and bucket footsnare station, including barter or exchange of goods; however, this paragraph does not apply to a licensed guide-outfitter who personally accompanies a client at the black bear bait and bucket footsnare station site;
    (5) a person must report to the nearest department office, within five days, the incidental take of any brown bears taken by bucket footsnare or take of any brown/grizzly bear accompanying a brown bear taken by bucket footsnare;
    (6) a person who sets bucket footsnares must check their bucket footsnares a minimum of every two days;
    (7) a nonresident must be accompanied by a resident over the age of 16 who is registered to trap bears;
    A regulation allowing discretionary conditions to be applied to trapping permits has been in place for years. The Division of Wildlife Conservation is recommending additional conditions to allow sampling without requiring sealing in some areas, and require minimum distance requirements in some areas.
    5 AAC 92.051. Discretionary trapping permit conditions and procedures.
    In areas designated by the board, the department may apply any or all of the following conditions to a registration trapping permit:
    (1) a permittee shall demonstrate
    Page | 55
    (A) the ability to identify the permit area;
    (B) a knowledge of trap use and safety;
    (2) a permittee shall attend an orientation course;
    (3) only a specified number of permittees may trap during the same time period;
    (4) a permittee may trap only in a specified subdivision within the permitted area;
    (5) a permittee may only use traps or snares of a specified type or size;
    (6) a permittee may only set a trap or snare as specified by the department;
    (7) before receiving a permit, the permittee shall acknowledge in writing that he or she has read, understands, and will abide by, the conditions specified for the permit area;
    (8) a permittee may trap only during the specified time periods;
    (9) a permittee must check his or her traps within a specified interval;
    (10) a permit applicant must be at least 16 [10] years old;
    (11) a permit applicant less than 16 [14] years old must be accompanied by an adult, 16 years of age or older, with a valid trapping license;
    (12) a permittee shall submit, on a form supplied by the department, information requested by the department about the permittee's trapping activities under the permit; the permittee shall submit this form to the department within the time limit set by the department;
    (13) a permittee shall label the permittee's traps and snares as specified by the department.
    (14) a person using bait or scent lures shall clearly identify each site with a sign reading "black bear bait and bucket footsnare station" that also displays the person's trapping license number, or mark each bucket footsnare with the trapping license number;
    (15) a permittee who takes an animal under a permit shall deliver specified biological specimens to a check station or to the nearest department office within a time set by the department;
    (16) a permittee may not possess or transport an animal unless sufficient portions of the external sex organs remain attached to either the hide or meat to indicate conclusively the sex of the animal, this does not apply to the meat of an animal that has been cut and placed in storage or otherwise prepared for consumption upon arrival at the location where it is to be consumed.
    (17) a person may not use bait, scent lures, or set a bucket foot snare within
    (A) one-quarter mile of a publicly maintained road, trail, or the Alaska Railroad;
    (B) one mile of a house or other permanent dwelling, businesses or schools; or
    (C) one mile of a developed campground or developed recreational facility;
    Page | 56
    Trappers will likely need to use artificial light because they do arrive at sets after dark, particularly in September. This could become a safety issue. Use of lights could be restricted to within a certain distance of the set.
    5 AAC 92.080. Unlawful methods of taking game; exceptions. The following methods of taking game are prohibited:

(7) with the aid of a pit, fire, artificial light, laser sight, electronically enhanced night vision scope, radio communication, cellular or satellite telephone, artificial salt lick, explosive, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, chemical (excluding scent lures), or a conventional steel trap with an inside jaw spread over nine inches, except that
    (A) a rangefinder may be used;
    (B) a killer style trap with a jaw spread of less than 13 inches may be used;
    (C) artificial light may be used
    (i) for the purpose of taking furbearers under a trapping license during an open season from November 1 – March 31 in Units 7 and 9 – 26; or black bears under a trapping license during an open trapping season;
    The Division of Wildlife Conservation recommends the following modifications to trapping methods to 1) allow same-day-airborne take of black bears during a trapping season, in order to provide flexibility to dispatch other bears in the group that may not be in the snare; and 2) prohibit trapping black bears by any means other than centerfire rifles and foot snares of a specific design.
    5 AAC 92.095. Unlawful methods of taking furbearers; exceptions.
    (a) The following methods and means of taking furbearers under a trapping license are prohibited, in addition to the prohibitions in 5 AAC 92.080:

(8) a person who has been airborne may not use a firearm to take or assist in taking a wolf or wolverine until after 3:00 am on the day following the day in which the flying occurred; or in taking a coyote, arctic fox, red fox, [OR] lynx, or black bear, unless that person is over 300 feet from the airplane at the time of taking; this paragraph does not apply to a trapper using a firearm to dispatch an animal caught in a trap or snare;
    (20) taking black bears by any means other than centerfire firearm or a bucket foot snare
    When the Board of Game originally allowed the sale of bear hides and skulls, the regulations adopted required that all bears intended for sale had to be sealed. This would require sealing of bears taken as a furbearer. This requirement is included for review purposes.
    Page | 57
    5 AAC 92.165. Sealing of bear skins and skulls. (a). Sealing is required for brown bear taken in any unit in the state, black bear of any color variation taken in Units 1 - 7, 11, 13–17, and 20(B), and a bear skin or skull before the skin or skull is sold.
    Currently, meat of a big game animal, including black bear, cannot be sold. This prohibition would not apply to black bear as a furbearer taken under trapping seasons. For consistency, we recommend that no sale of black bear meat be allowed under either hunting or trapping.
    5 AAC 92.200 Purchase and sale of game. (a) In accordance with AS 16.05.920 (a) and 16.05.930(e), the purchase, sale, or barter of game or any part of game is permitted except as provided in this section.
    (b) Except as provided in 5 AAC 92.031, a person may not purchase, sell, barter, advertise, or otherwise offer for sale or barter:

(8) the meat of big game, black bear, and small game, except hares and rabbits; however, caribou may be bartered in Units 22 - 26, but may not be transported or exported from those units.
    Require the salvage of either the hide or the meat of a black bear taken by trapping.
    5 AAC 92.220. Salvage of game meat, furs, and hides. (a) Subject to additional requirements in 5 AAC 84 - 5 AAC 85, a person taking game shall salvage the following parts for human use:

(3) except as provided in (6) of this section, from January 1 through May 31, the hide, skull, and edible meat as defined in 5 AAC 92.990, and from June 1 through December 31, the hide and skull of a black bear taken in a game management unit in which sealing is required; from June 1 - December 31, the skull and either the hide or edible meat of a black bear taken in Unit 20(B),
    (4) except as provided in (6) of this section, from January 1 through May 31, the edible meat, and from June 1 through December 31, either the hide, or the edible meat as defined in 5 AAC 92.990, of a black bear taken in any game management unit in which sealing is not required; however, from June 1 through December 31, the edible meat of a black bear taken by a resident hunter taking black bear under customary and traditional use activities at a den site from October 15 through April 30 in Unit 19(A), that portion of the Kuskokwim River drainage within Unit 19(D) upstream from the Selatna River drainage and the Black River drainage, and in Units 21(B), 21(C), 21(D), 24, and 25(D) must be salvaged.

(6) either the hide, or the edible meat as defined in 5 AAC 92.990, of a black bear taken under a trapping license;
    Since trapping methods cannot totally exclude non-target animals, the prohibition on taking sows with cubs, and cubs must be modified to allow trapping of any bear.
    Page | 58

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast