Thread: RV vs. Car

Default RV vs. Car

In my continued research for our trip, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on if we should rent a RV or a car/van/SUV? My concern with the RV is access to certain areas & parking. Then Bears.. do you have to remove food & store it away from the unit every night? Plus, we cannot take it up the Dalton. Although, it might save us $ on hotels & we can bring our own food?

If we rent a car, etc., that would give us more access ?? Artic Outfitters lets you take there rentals on the Dalton (used them last time), but they are more expensive than others for obvious reasons & I really only need a car from them from Fairbanks up, not before or after (have not decided yet whether we are coming into Fairbanks or Anchorage first.)

Thanks,
    Jen

To answer what to rent that's your call, but as for removing food from the unit becouse of bears. Where would you remove it to to be more safe than in a hard box like an RV. That idea is mostly for tents. Still need to keep a clean camp. Not heard of many RVs ripped open in the night for the food.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I agree with power drifter. In addition, I believe you will be hard pressed to find a company that will "allow" you to take any rental vehicle up the Dalton/Top of the World Highways etc. I may be wrong.

I would also factor in the cost of fuel. RV's average 8-10 mpg, whereas a car will likely be 20-25. At $3.35/gallon, the RV fuel may add up quickly. Personally, I would enjoy a car and camping far more than an RV.

I agree that a clean camp is a must to deter the bears. But they shouldn't attack an RV!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I agree with power drifter. In addition, I believe you will be hard pressed to find a company that will "allow" you to take any rental vehicle up the Dalton/Top of the World Highways etc. I may be wrong.
    Arctic Outfitters has rentals specifically for the Dalton and Denali highways.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?