Thread: J-5 Pilot Owners Handbook

Default J-5 Pilot Owners Handbook

Hi All, my first post on the site all though I have been lurking for quite some time. I was hoping I could get some direction on how get a copy of a Pilot Owners Handbook for a 1941 J-5A I recently acquired. I am a low time student pilot trying to get everything ready for a check ride. I have the Type Certificate Data sheet from the FAA so I can compute CG but can not locate the POH. I tried univair and essoaircraft.com but the closest I can find is a J-5 aircraft specifications book. Is this the same thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

You're looking for a flight manual. POHs didn't come out until way after your plane was built. You TCDS should identify required equipment, placards, and documents. Does it mention a flight manual?

Quote Originally Posted by aksledder View Post
    Hi All, my first post on the site all though I have been lurking for quite some time. I was hoping I could get some direction on how get a copy of a Pilot Owners Handbook for a 1941 J-5A I recently acquired. I am a low time student pilot trying to get everything ready for a check ride. I have the Type Certificate Data sheet from the FAA so I can compute CG but can not locate the POH. I tried univair and essoaircraft.com but the closest I can find is a J-5 aircraft specifications book. Is this the same thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
    Mr Pid is right. Your Piper was built back during the dawn of man, but before his enlightenment. POHs came later . . . . . You should get all you really need from the PARTS and MAINTENANCE manuals. Those should be available from Piper.

Long story short. For your check-ride and for every flight in your J5A Piper Cub Cruiser, your placards count as your POH.
    Although when I had one, I did have the J5 Maint. Manual. It had some operating limitations listed.

Mine was a 1941 J5A which had been converted with PA-12 wings, Super Cub Gear and tail. Plus a larger engine.
    They were a A-75 engine originally. They sure are a stable plane.

Mine was an L4-F during WWII as a trainer.

Post some photos

Piper J-5A, B, C Aircraft Specifications (part# PAJ5-SPEC)
    Piper J-5C Super Cruiser Operating Limitations & Information (part# PAJ5-OP)
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thanks everyone for your help. I do have the service manual, the parts catalog, and low and behold while I was reading through the service manual I found the aircraft specification sheets printed in 1964 with the airspeed limits which is what I was concerned about mainly making sure the air speed indicator was marked correctly. So between the books and the TCDS I should be covered. Mine has a 0-290-D engine in it recently rebuilt by Mad Mike and also has PA-18 tail. A lot of history written in the logbooks. Thanks again for all your help and will post pictures soonest

I found alot of piper manuals at stoddards, they really set me up. I had 2 different sudents, one with a pa-14, another with a pa-12, got everything i needed from stoddards.

Its not N-37961 is it????

Float Pilot, I was wondering about the coincedence also but I fly N2364

Yeah that would have been something. Mine old one was serial number 5-832 and yours was 5-844 or something like that. So they were made about the same time. I just looked up the one I used to have and it is still owned by a guy up in Los Anchorage who I sold it to 11 years ago. It was used as a crop duster / insect sprayer, from the late 40s up until the 70s.
    I had a lot of neat adventures in that plane. The 0-290 D and 0-290D2 give pretty good range when leaned out.

The J3C-65 Atlee Dodge conversion to a PA-11-90, that I now use for float instruction is a LOT more narrow and not nearly as comfy as the J5 / PA-12 series.