Thread: Filled my 20A Cow Moose Permit last night...

Default Filled my 20A Cow Moose Permit last night...

Did a quick trip down the Tanana that turned into an unexpected overnighter. We left the boat launch at 5:45pm and got to where I wanted to hunt at about 6:30pm. After looking around a creek, we went to another location that has proved well for us over the last several years. Sure enough, upon entering the field I spotted a large lone cow. It went into the woods, and I knew of a trail that would take us right to her. In about 15 minutes I snuck into 40 yards and put one behind the shoulder. She made it 20 yards and took out some trees with a hard fall. Time was 7pm and we were headed back about a half mile to the boat to get the knives, pack and game bags. I was real concerned with time since I didn't want to boat back in the dark, but even with hustling through quartering and packing the moose, we didn't make it back to the boat until 9:30pm with the last bag of meat.

Condition of the cow was best I have seen. 3-4" rump fat, 1" thick backstrap fat and the kidney fat was plentiful. We made sure to saw off the bottom half of the jaw for F&G as well.

Anyhow, onto the interesting part. It got dark, rainy and our visibility was gone about 20 minutes into the boat ride out of there. We hadn't hit the Tanana again yet, and as we were finally getting back onto it, I hit a sandbar that I couldn't see and the work began. We managed to get it off pretty quickly, but it tired us out pretty good. There was one small channel to get us back to the main river, so I got in a couple feet of water, hugged the shore and gunned it. We had enough water to make it out, but found a few overhanding spruce that smacked the boat pretty good. We saw them at the last second and ducked out of the way. No damage to the boat or canopy at least. After that it was slow poke time. I didn't want to get on step, so I limped it for about an hour back upstream. I ran onto sandbars twice that I couldn't see, but since we were going slow I just reversed off of them and moved over. Around midnight, we saw a person flashing a spotlight at us from shore. We went over to see if we could crash next to them for the night, and to our surprise it was a guy with a cabin out there and he welcomed us in for the night. We had the gear to survive overnight easily, but this sure was a nice surprise.

Up at 6am and less than 20 minutes after firing up the boat we were back at the Chena Pump launch and loading the boat. Nice to be back home and have a moose heading to the freezer soon. We are headed back out this Thursday/Friday (with supplies for the guy at the cabin for a thank you) and will try for another moose. We have two more cow permits and when I was stalking the one I shot there was sign everywhere.

Boat lights will be an investment in the very near future.

Sounded like a fun boat ride!Looks like alot of good eating.Man that sure looks like a big ol' cow.How much did she weigh?

Congrats man. Nice write up. Moose, its whats for dinner.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

congrats Jerrod, we filled one 20 A and a 20B cow tag this weekend our selfs, i too am headed back out to help my old partner fill his, sure is rough some times EH?

lol... trying to get it all processed and froze, so far 5 other families have benefited from all of our tags, it is adding an new bonus to all of this on our part...

good luck out there and be carfull...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Not sure exactly on the weight, but she was a biggun. The hind quarters barely fit into my Alaska Guide Pack.

I talked to my dad today and he is mad at me for shooting "his" moose.

Very nice......sounds like you got a good eater. Moose meat is A+

Congrats to you on a fine hunt and taking supplies out soon to the old man. Ive been on the tanana and stuck myself twice on gravel bars and both times I was by myself..........................sucks!

Sweet! nice job on the cow! See you back on the slope sometime. Need to play some bball.

Well done! A nice animal and some adventure to remember the trip by - can't beat that!
    What were you shootin anyway - I don't see a scope and from pic it looks to be a smaller caliber perhaps???
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I actually shot it with my 30-06. My neighbor, Frank came along with me and he brought his .358 lever action along. I actually went back to the boat after spotting the moose to get my rifle as we first saw it from about 150 yards out and I didn't want to try with the open sights from that far. By the time I got back, the moose was just going into the trees so we had to stalk up to her through the woods. She piled up 10 feet from our trail on dry ground, so it was a nice easy, dry cleaning job.

For the picture I had taken my rifle back to the boat to get the pack frame and supplies, and Frank brought his gun back out in case something else showed up.

great job and story heading over there myself to try and fill any bull tag

Funny how so many talk about 300WM, 300WSM, 338 etc on up for moose, and yet so far almost every harvest story I have read lately the 308 / 270 has been used. I wonder if hunters did not have to worry about the big bears what caliber they would choose to pack just for moose???
    Thanks Jerod!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

way to go man!

I'm shocked to see a rifle in those pics!

Good goin'. What flavor '06?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'm shocked to see a rifle in those pics!

Good goin'. What flavor '06?
    ya i agree on that also... after all those slope bears with a bow.... a timid ol cow moose .... FOR JERROD? gee he prolly coulda used his swiss knife and sneaked up on it....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yea, Yea, Yea... I was expecting that. I wish I would have brought my bow, I managed to sneak in close enough, and the only reason she spotted me was from the noise of jacking a round. I had plans to bowhunt moose this year, but getting one is a little more important since we didn't do the big caribou trip this year.

Headed back out in a few hours to hunt with my family in the same area, so I'll be playing Sherpa this time around.

I don't know what type of gun my 30-06 is, it was a present from my grandfather for graduating hi skool back in '93. That was moose #5 for me though, 3 with the rifle and 2 with the bow so far. Looks like I need to catch back up with the bow.

congrats man, if you think of it save some legs for me, I am trying to get some sinew for bow building!

CONGRATS Jerod that should be some good eating this winter

Got my first Cow outta 20A on the first aswell. We hunted that area from the 27th til the 1st. i have learned alot this year.
    1. Bulls are easier to spot, hunt, and stalk in this area.
    2. Velvet on horns plain and simply SUCKS. I went on 3 separate stalk on what we believed was a cow. once closer, its a spike wearing velvet!
    3. That young cow we nabbed sure eats very nice
    4. Much easier to pack out a cow over a big bull!

I Love 20A Hunting!

BOY, I would love to go on a cow moose hunt. Still trying to convince the wife to move to Alaska (NO LUCK THUS FAR!). All we have around here (Missouri) is Whitetails. Family harvested three last year. Most is already gone.
    Do have a good deal of buffalo cow from a Texas trip in Jan 10- not what you would consider too wild of a hunt though.
    Going to a friend's place in Texas the end of October to add some wild pork to the mix.