Thread: haul road in October

Default haul road in October

Will the haul road be good the first week of October for bou? How about the weather. Should I expect lots of snow?

Its hard to tell as October is usually the transition month the weather in October is crazy and unpredictable last year it was pretty warm in October still but the year before was ridiculous with lots of snow even in the past 2 weeks the weather has changed ALOT it will no doubt be alot colder at night then it has frosted over a few times here already the only way to tell for sure is wait for it to come October is probably one of the hardest months to predict weather up here.

Me and a buddy was up there last year from 15-18 October and there was a considerable amount of snow on the ground already. I don't know if that is the norm since it was the first time for me being up there.

Like the others said, hard to predict in Oct. I will tell you that I have hunted the haul road in OCT many times. Usually around the Columbus day weekend and its been warm and cold from year to year. What I have noticed over the years is that in order for the caribou to really start moving it must be freezing. In other words 32 degrees or below and the snow helps. During the warm years the bou were far and few between but when the freezing conditions were present they were really moving through. One year we got up there, had snow on the ground and frozen with bou every where. The two days later it warmed up, snow melted and the bou all but disappeared. So, the moral of story is watch the weather. good luck.

1st week of Oct is the peak of the rut. Almost all on this forum who've eaten a bull taken during this period say they're inedible. If you're going that week plan on avoiding anything with a white mane.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

If the first week of October is peak rut, how long does the rut last? When would the bulls be tasty again?

The actual breeding part of the rut typically lasts about a week, but bulls stay worked up from about the last week in Sept through the end of Oct.

The become more edible in mid-November after their antlers have dropped. The same testosterone that makes them funky keeps their hardware stuck on. The dropping of antlers comes with the drop in hormone levels.

You can still shoot cows and yearling bulls to your heart's content.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I second the cows and yearling bulls in Oct, I shot a maturer bull a few years ago and it was the most horrible experience trying to cook and eat that animal.

We are heading up this Thursday hope the hunting is good will give a report once we make it back. Been checking the weather up thier and the temps look manageable but we all know that can change very quickly. If anyone is up thier this weekend we will be in a gray ford F250 extended cab, stop by and shoot the bull...

I agree with erik, october bou from the north slope is nasty! If you want to know how bad it is Ive got a friend that has most of a dandy old bull he shot up there a couple years ago that im sure he'd love to get rid of. It was so bad that the dogs wouldnt touch it. Jerky was no good, you couldnt marinate it long enough... you get the picture. Ive only done it once in october. They are good again by november. I really enjoy november up there. Also for meat i'd just as soon shoot a cow. They are excelent. Yearling bulls even in october arent bad either.