Thread: Thinking of buying a river boat.....

Question Thinking of buying a river boat.....

Hey guys,

My wife and I are thinking of buying a boat this fall or winter. We are thinking in terms of a flat bottom river boat with a jet outboard. Probly 18+ ft. Our reasoning is that hunting from the road system is turning into a zoo lately. We like to fish as well and want to take the kids up the rivers fishing in the summer and hunt the river system in south central as well.
    I am looking for some pointers on what to look for in a used boat. Pitfalls that could cost me big? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Step one, look for the name Wooldridge on the side of the boat.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I understand your reasoning (hunting the road system being a zoo), but don't kid yourself, the rivers are often just as much of a zoo. Not meant as a downer, and I would definitely press on with finding a boat. Just saying that if you hunt in southcentral AK, you hunt with 600K of your closest friends, regardless of mode of transportation.

I'll add to frostbitten's advice and say that if you get a boat....try to plan your river hunts so your not running the river in the primetime before dark...dohhhh!!

I cant believe the river traffic I hear during the best 2 hours to be sitting still and listening for moose!!

Other than that, and although I'd love to have a 35,000$ boat, I settle for a $3500 16' er with a 35 merc. Gets me where i need to go just fine and I'm not thrashing an expensive boat/jet running skinny fall rivers...

Default You can do it...

Well, I am going to butcher this up some from a fellow member but it goes something like this…

If you want to buy a boat, any boat… do this.

Go to your bank, take out as much money as you can or have, and if you need more, borrow it. Try to get about $30,000 or more if needed.
    Then get in your car or truck with your wife and start driving – north or south, but I prefer south because this is the road I travel most. And once your out of town a bit start throwing your money out the window, both of you, but not too fast, maybe a bill every half mile or so. Stop at Girdwood, fill up the tank and give the attendant an extra couple hundred bucks just for the heck of it and then continue on to Seward.

Once in Seward, stop at the Pit bar, go in and tell them you’re thinking about buying a boat and ask the biggest ugliest guy in there to kick you square in the nuggets, turn to your wife and ask her to repeat this step and then ask her to pick you up off the ground, get back in your vehicle and drive home.

This should get these thoughts out of mind until next year… But then again, don’t listen to me, I own 4 to 6 various sizes of boats.

But to be serious, there are so many variations on boats but one that is 18’ plus is great boat, get the biggest engine you can afford, 4 stroke would be my recommendation or the e-tec is getting a lot of good press and it’s a good motor I hear.

PM me if you want more details but you can learn a lot by reading past posting on this subject and the winter is a great time to find some pretty good deals usually. Good luck.
    Tony

Make sure you read the " Wall of Shame: Pictures on the sandbar.... " post first :-)

Yeah, I did see that thread. I figured there would be a learning curve on operating the thing once I bought it. Gimme a couple summers (or a couple weeks after I buy the boat for that matter) and I'm sure I'll have some matterial for you all to split your sides laughing at.....

germe, the pic I posted in that thread was my first trip out. I remember thinking as I launched "I wonder how shallow this thing will run" I still don't know the answer to that question but I know it requires more than an inch!

Don't listen to LuJon, Wooldridge SUCKS!!! Ha ha ha, SeaArk is the only way to GO!! Lots of boats out there with sellers dying to get rid of them. Do lots of searches on here, lots of reading. I live in Palmer if you would like to see my boat and the $800,000 of upgrades I've made over the last 2 years and still going. I figure I'll be at about a million in the not too distant future...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573