Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: simms waders

Default simms waders

well i have decided my pfd is going to get me a new fly rod and waders so my question is are simms waders worth the money im a big dude and they have big sizes im looking at the g3 guide.

asked and answered MANY times.

YES.

thanks guss i should have looked through old threads

I have the g4 series and they have been awesome so far. I would say they are worth the money definately even for the g3 series. Quality equals you get what you pay for and they are going to last you a long time because -

5-layer and 3-layer GORE-TEX® Pro Shell fabric technology
    Patented front and back leg seam construction for enhanced articulation, comfort and durability
    Patented built-in Guide Model Gravel Guards
    Exterior chest pocket with zippered closure holds large fly box
    Fleece-lined hand warmer pocket with DWR treatment

3 layers of tough gortex is going to hold up very well to tree branches or whatever catching on your legs and to kneeling in the dirt or gravel bar especially for you being a bigger guy. Also going to keep you warmer and the fleece-lined hand pocket is nice too. yes yes yes

I ordered some custom sized G4 Pros back in April and couldn't be happier. Their custom order program is awesome. Mine were XXL Kings with size 14/15 booties installed. I bought the Simms Freestone size 16 boots to go with them. Wish I had got them years ago. I had used the lugsole Cabelas hunting waders in 3XL as they had size 15 boots on them. Couldn't find much else. Bought them in the pants and full waders. Had some Cabelas neoprene before that. Being big has it's drawbacks at times. These Simms waders are top shelf. Used them in SE Alaska for first time in May. Hiked 15+ miles up and down a river looking for steelhead. Was as comfortable as if wearing jeans and hiking boots. I say go for it man.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

thanks guys i am also wondering what do you wear under them fleece or somthing all i have ever used were cabelas roughnecks and they were never very nice for hiking i think they are made of canvas or somthing. i was looking at the g4 but with the mark up for my size i think $850 is a little out of my price range so i think the g3 will suit me fine for now.

I wear Cabelas polartec thermal underwear (tops and bottoms) under mine. They come in reg, cold, polar, etc.. temp ratings. Very comfortable and warm. As for price, I got mine from Ronn at Yagers Fly Shop for about $580. Good guy to deal with. I have ordered from him several times.

http://www.yagersflies.com/

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dang! thats expensive. I usually just go with my stretch fleece pants from rei and i stay plenty warm and they are comfortable cuz of the stretch. Those are only 60 bucks.

Ha ha... sorry about that. I meant "price" of waders, my G4 Pros, was $580.

The Cabelas polartec is about $30-40 per garment.

It comes in pants and a few types of long sleeve tops. Med wt, polar wt, military wt, etc.. Best thing, you can get it in tall sizes up to 3XL.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...p.form1&Go.x=0

-Dan

oh haha gotcha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 007 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	38777

Well worth the money. The Simms in this picture are 14 years old; I beat the hell out of them and they are still going strong. Don't be afraid to invest in them; they will last a very long time.

I'm definitely going to invest in some after this fishing season. I'm looking at those g3 convertibles, I find myself always taking the waders off my shoulders all summer. I've heard nothing but good about them.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    I'm looking at those g3 convertibles...
    The Convertibles are the single best fishing purchase I've ever made.

I love them. If they go missing, there will be another pair on the way as soon as I have cell reception!

The convertibles are SOOOO COMFORTABLE compared to traditional waders. I've even unzipped the top a few times for river crossings. The tops are a bit baggy (without a cinch strap). That's OK because they are only up for a few minutes a year for me.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

quick answer. YES. You pay for what you get, and Simms are very high quality and they stand behind their product. I own a pair of G3's. About 4 years old and going strong.

I was against high end waders for years. I bought G-4s for the wife and I this year, plus the guide jackets. PRICELESS. High, dry, comfy and would not trade them for the world
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Definitely worth the money!!!
    I have the g4 zippers and love them. And no i wouldn't have bought them if I didn't get them for 200. I would have either went with the g3 or g4. Although the zipper is awesome. Especially when it's raining and you have to go.

I also have the bootfoot waders. The muck boots are rated to 40below. They are a lot warmer wader. I fish all winter and they are amazing. They work good for late fall on the boat too.

G3's will fit your needs perfectly. I 100% back simms waders and wading jackets. Tested and proved on the situk river for years it's nice staying dry there

Good luck

I didn't want to spend the money at the time and I ended up getting the Cloudveil waders the are similar in style to the g3 series ones, only difference is there isn't a flip out pouch, and the booties are different, same 3 and 5 layer design. Come october-november and feb-march I'm probably going to wish I got the g3 or g4 for the extra insulation in the booties!

Like everyone else is saying it will be worth the money, I am happy with mine so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayintrout View Post
    Tested and proved on the situk river for years it's nice staying dry there

Good luck
    Isn't that the truth, I somehow ended up with a hole in my foot this past spring. Talked about pissed!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Team SIMMS

I joined Team SIMMS today.

I ordered my waders, G3 convertibles, should be here in approx 4 days.

Took advantage of the $50 rebate trade in going on until Oct 31 and used some trophy clip cash, thanks for those that watched my videos, and allowed me to be able to aquire some sexy waders.

Only out about 175 bones out of pocket.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    well i have decided my pfd is going to get me a new fly rod and waders so my question is are simms waders worth the money im a big dude and they have big sizes im looking at the g3 guide.
    scotty - one key thing to realize about simms waders:

the stock waders (every size) are ALL narrow in the leg - which makes for a tight fit; even tighter with any layering (like one fleece); they work fine for people who have skinny upper and lower legs; or can otherwise deal with a tight fit. I'm not a "big dude" (150#; 5'7"). They do not fit me. This is not really "my opinion"; I've measured them - and the circumference in the lower leg is something like 2 inches smaller than other brands. What the heck Simms' thinking is here is unknown. Perhaps other people like this skin-tight feel. Maybe they want to save a little money on material. Maybe this reduces bunching and folding. Whatever the reason - they are tight.

Accordingly, my only piece of advice is to TRY THEM ON BEFORE PURCHASING. Otherwise, you will go nutz with repeated mail ordering and returning until you realize they are not for you, or you have to do a custom sizing (which may or may not work either).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast