Thread: Tangle report

Default Tangle report

We never get into anything decent sized in the Tangle Lakes/River. But go down the road a few miles and hike to some of the more remote streams and you start seeing decent sized fish.

It was a BLAST. Not a lot is more enjoyable than to watch a fat Grayling come leaping up out of the water after your fly.

My favorite hole in the world.

Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Wow. Great picts. Weather looks beautiful up that way.

Tim

Nice! Looks like you had a good time! Sweet Pics!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

We had some luck with the grays as well. No pics as dropped the camera in the lake while trolling if anyone finds a kodak easyshare, feel free to hit it with a bat.

I caught a laker where the 2nd stream mouth was at about 5:30am and a few 17" grays while fishing spinners for lakers. Steped on a big ol grizz while at landmark gap... SCARY SHIZZ he was a biggun and i learned my lesson hiking alone. But i fired a warning shot off and ran to the boat. Yep must be louder next time.

It got into the mid 30's at night! pretty chilly. I was the kid if any of you people saw at the tangle campground with the rc cars and the rc boat with the pirate flag
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    I was the kid if any of you people saw at the tangle campground with the rc cars and the rc boat with the pirate flag

"Real thugs live in Palmer" Ha ha ha
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'm to lazy to drive to Tangle and go fish for grayling, but it sure would be fun on a 3-4 WT. Nice pics, looks like a good time.

Hahah we had a flag, too!

Sounds scary man, good thing you had a gun! We forgot to pack one...but had plenty of spray. And sorry about the camera, that sucks =( While hiking back to Glacier Lake, we stumbled upon a very unhappy bou who bluffed us a couple times before taking off the other direction. And two weekends ago we has a brush with a porcupine who decided he wanted to crawl up under the truck and DIG at 1am, 3am, 4am....

We also got into some smaller lakers. Our buddy had better luck with spinners but we got a few with leeches. They are fun on a 5-6wt! It was also very pretty up there....

what do you generally use for grayling on a fly rod? Mosquito patterns or something? Or will they pretty much hit most things you throw at them? I was going to drive up there last weekend, spur of the moment type thing but I settled for Willow instead, ha.

In really fast waters I use nymphs. And in that case pretty much anything goes since they don't get much of a chance to look and consider what they are hitting.

In slower waters/lakes I use a size 16 dry, pretty much anything with a black body goes. They can either slam everything you throw at them, or be super picky. The key seemed to be keeping it HIGH and DRY more than matching the right pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
    Great Picture!!!!

Too bad a nice blue sky wasn't out there on the horizon to make it that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    what do you generally use for grayling on a fly rod? Mosquito patterns or something? Or will they pretty much hit most things you throw at them? I was going to drive up there last weekend, spur of the moment type thing but I settled for Willow instead, ha.
    Grayling aren't to picky, but definitely the Blue Dun is the best I've seen work. I haven't done to much Grayling fishing though...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks for the tips. I guess I have all the right tackle. Just have to put it to use

I've even got them on mini wooley buggers in a quick current =) Sometimes they hit so well that I swap up my flies just to play around =)

**Quoted content removed**

Wow. Classy, new guy.
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 09-13-2010 at 14:06.