Thread: how to make a tunnel hull

Default how to make a tunnel hull

have any of you ever made a normal flat bottom into a tunnel hull i plan on giving my 18ft monark a full make over this winter and want to make it a tunnel hull and i am wondering if any of you have done this and any info on the size and shape of the tunnel would be great. thanks

Not being familiar with a Monarch, is it an absoluetly flat bottom, as in 0 deadrise?
    For starters, I don't think you could go wrong by copying a Wooldridge tunnel, assuming you could find one to look at, measure etc.
    One thing to keep in mind is that you will have to add some ribs the length of the boat to allow the water to be fed into the tunnel, otherwise you will get major cavitation issues.
    Sounds like a great project.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I see you are in North Pole, 2 options on a tunnel. First a ?, do you weld? Tunnel design is or can be a tricky thing as you want to make your boat function better, not worse. For my $$, I'd just take it to Karolds Welding and let him have at it. He's installed dozens if not hundreds of the things and knows what is required, is fast and the work is topnotch. If you are bound and determined to do it yourself, some research online will help plus you will have to work within the boats structural design. I've made and installed two tunnels, one in a Lowe flatbottom, the other in a Alumacraft if memory serves. Both worked very well, both were nothing like a Wooldridge tunnel. A Wooldridge tunnel is, by design, all you need once you have read about tunnel design. I found it easier to work within the boats structure than try to completely reconfigure the bottom to get to the Wooly design. I have patterns etc and some thoughts and ideas about flat bottom boats that some say won't work with a tunnel, which is total horse*&^%. Anyway, my 2 cents, more here in my head if you want it. OzAK

Thumbs up for Karolds. if your not going to do it yourself.........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

i might just get ahold of karolds i had never heard or them before thanks guys.

i have copies of magazine articles that guy discribes about making tunnels PM me your email and i will locate the articles to send you
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

http://www.outboardjets.com/boatSelection.php
    Here is the site with all the info you need. Another thumbs up for Karolds, I just dropped some stuff off there yesterday and he didn't seem to busy. It's still early and most people tend to procrastinate until closer to spring

Default Be careful there

AkScotty, be careful digging around in the dark deep recesses of OZ's head. It is a scary place for sure. But, that old fart can weld, and most of the time, his ideas are good.
    Fozzy, drop by if you are in town.

You guys get all this retrofit stuff figured out, will you? Someday when I grow up I want to refit the 16' flatbottom w/ a tunnel and cover it with UHMW. I figure sooner or later I just get to copy what somebody else did.

i forgot i had these pics on there this is one i did on my 18 foot alumaweld it works great little or no caviton it is a shallow tunnel
    Attached Images Attached Images

here are a few more
    Attached Images Attached Images