Thread: Attention all Homer charters!

Default Attention all Homer charters!

I'm considering taking my wife down there for a nice one day vacation; she is very much NOT a fisherman though. Are there any activities I can get her on that might just take one or a few hours, getting her out on a boat out of Homer?

Anything fun, doesn't have to be fishing.

Here's a few suggestions based on my 4-5 trips to Homer.
    Check out the Bear Creek Winery for a wine tasting (free). All wines are made in Homer, with Alaskan berries. Good stuff! This takes about 1 hour. Bear Creek Drive (address unknown)
    Homer also has a brewery (Homer Brewing Company) 1411 Lakeshore Drive.
    The Salty Dawg Saloon is Alaska's oldest pub. Right on the Homer Spit. The decor inside is dollar bills all over the walls and ceiling. Friendly bartender, sweet stickers, and cool apparel.

If you're not in the mood to booze, you could always take her halibut fishing for a few hours. Rainbow Tours www.rainbowtours.net offers a 1/2 day halibut charter (6am-11am) for $100 per person. We've always brought home 20-30 lbs of fillets from these trips and the deckhands are very friendly.

Or, you could take her for a nice 4 star meal at the Land's End restaurant. I forget the name, but it's at the end of the spit. Good food, but pricey.

Or, if you'd rather stay dry and warm and pamper your wife, you could check out the Land's End spa:
    http://www.lands-end-resort.com/spa/spa.htm

There's also local art galleries, bakeries, etc. that you could easily waste a day visiting.

Have fun.

Two other options would be the DANNY J to Halibut Cove or one of the ferrys to Seldovia. Google is your friend here.

All good suggestions. As for stuff to do in Homer I would also look into the meadery in Homer. I met the owner fishing the Winter King Derby last year and he's a great guy. There's also Fat Olive's which has great pizza and the owner seems very nice. For the bay, which is why I go there, there's always half day charters or you could take a water taxi across the bay and do some hiking. Lots of great trails, good berries this time of year and the scenery if fantastic.

If you want to get on a boat without fishing involved, talk to homerdave. He can run you across the bay on his water taxi (Ashore Water Taxi) to take pictures at gull island, to hike some of the many trails in Kachemak Bay State Park, or to drop you two off for a night in a rented yurt.

I agree with Brian, for a great sightseeing boat ride call Dave at Ashore Water Taxi, great guy and very informative.

One thing that's often overlooked is the Norman Lowell Gallery (if it's still open now). It's between Anchor Point and Homer. The driveway is on the east side of the road, right across from that drive thru coffee place (Blackriver???) It is astounding. A "must see". 907-235-7344

If you have time, consider a trip over to Seldovia. I plan to see it myself next time I am in Homer. Also thought about doing the fly over to Kodiak for bear viewing. Some get real close, too close perhaps. But a great trip for a photographer I suspect. K Bay Air seems to run a professional outfit for the bear viewing. I had talked to them several times when I had planned on coming up in July. Lots of cool little handmade jewelry and pottery shops on the spit. Carrie loved them, perhaps your wife would as well. The Best Western room 132 has a nice hot tub. Homer is a cool little town. Awesome place to spend a day or two.

Check out the Russian Orthodox Church near Ninilchik on the way down...

Roadside images about 10-15 miles north of Homer...

Watering hole with some history...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

"danattherock", those are awesome pictures. I can tell they weren't taken with my "Brownie Starmite". For those of you not in my age group, that's old.

My apologies for off topic.

As mentioned above, Ashore Water Taxi is a great service and the owner's a wealth of knowledge. He might even know a thing or two about catching fish At the very least he'd could point you in the right direction if you're looking for ideas on things to do with you wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    "danattherock", those are awesome pictures.

Thanks Homertime, glad you liked them. Alaska gets all the credit. Anyone can take nice pictures if they spend time in pretty places.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

lots of things down here are shut down or running only occasionally. the spit pretty much rolls up the sidewalks after labor day.
    the danny j and rainbow tours come to mind... not sure if there are any 1/2 day charters running regularly, and the saltry restaraunt in halibut cove is closed for the year.
    still excellent hiking in the park, birds, some whales, and i can recommend a really fun kayaking outfit....
    drop me a line...<grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I'm looking for a quick and easy Saturday afternoon adventure on the water for only an hour or so; doesn't matter where to; just want to get her on the water once. Its supposed be beautiful weather.

I've got some ideas and am available tomorrow: we could go drop the crab pot, check out my cabin in Little Tutka, do a little rockfish hunting (half hour - hour), pull the crab pot, then head back to Homer. This is all 10 miles, one way, or less. Give me a call....jim