Thread: Nancy Lake Canoe Trails

Default Nancy Lake Canoe Trails

My wife and I are heading out in mid-October to kayak the Nancy Lakes system. This is our first trip out there, and we're staying at the Lynx Lake cabin.

My question(s) are:

1. Are the portages clearly marked, or are binoculars required to see them from a distance? (trying not to paddle around looking too much)

2. Are any of the lakes themselves marked? (trying to determine if I should bring the GPS).

3. Has anyone done any pike fishing out there recently?

Thanks all!

Portages are clearly marked with orange "markers" that are easily seen. After you put in, turn around and look at the marker, very easy to see when you know what to look for. Note there are two trails out of Tanaina Lake; both loop around the trail system, one CW and the other CCW. Trails are well marked/maintained. Memory is a bit spotty, but there seemed to be several signs with distance and lake names.

Take your own map. There use to be very nice (summer use) maps available at the entrance, but haven't seen any the last several trips.

One of my favorite areas in AK. Have fun.

Each of the portage trails have a sign at the beginning that tells what lake it goes to, and how far it is. When you get to the lake, it generally has a sign with its name as well. The only one that got us for a few minutes the first time is the portage between Jackknife and Frasier lakes...it's a water portage, and there isn't a sign from the Jackknife side. It's actually kind of neat, and a relief from carrying boats, but it can be overlooked if you aren't expecting it.

Carry a map, but GPS probably isn't necessary if you don't want to bring it. I can send you a topo page if you need it.

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by HiPlainsDrifter View Post

Carry a map, but GPS probably isn't necessary if you don't want to bring it. I can send you a topo page if you need it.

Travis
    Can you possibly email the topo page? Or is it available online anywhere?

Thanks Travis!

Hey, sorry I hadn't checked for a follow-up in a couple of days. I will send that tonight from my home computer!

Travis

Rowing originated in Canada. North Alaskan Indians from hunting and fishing will dry drawn out, sitting inside with a wooden paddle, it is also called canoe. Rowing two sharp, short hull, no paddle frame, no rudder. Rowing when the front legs into a lunge stand, legs Bangui, holding a paddle with a shovel-like blade fixed at the side in the water, and control the direction. A single, double, obstacles slalom.

Knee High Boots
    Thigh High Boots

I finally found a decent way to get these from PDF to jpg to be able to post them here. One is blank, the other has the loop drawn in. Hope these help.

Nancy Lakes 1.jpgNancy Lakes 2.jpg

A GPS will do a lot for your trip for your trip

We did the Lynx Lake loop this weekend with 2 kayaks and a canoe. The larger lakes were mainly fine, with zero ice. However, the smaller lakes/ponds were completely frozen and we had to drag the boats around the ice.....fun! Jackknife Lake was frozen, Milo Pond was frozen, and the southern end of Tanaina Lake was frozen too. Overall, a workout, but very pleasant weather. Stayed one night at Lynx Lake cabin, another at James Lake cabin. Only saw a young moose on the road into the park, other than that only a few beavers swimming.
    Perhaps next year we won't wait until mid-October to boat these waters! On the plus side, NO BUGS!

'Til next spring........

Glad you had a good time. "NO BUGS"! There's a plus. Were you able to build fires at the cabins? I'd think that would be pretty cozy.

Catch any pike?

To answer your questions, we didn't catch ANY pike. Not even one bite. Threw everything in the tackle box at 'em, but they were not to be found. We were able to build fires at both cabins, although we foolishly brought (and portaged) our own wood too just in case. The cabins don't take long to get REALLY WARM, which makes cold beverage that much more enjoyable! The James Lake cabin was way bigger and nicer than Lynx Lake cabin.

We'll be out there again after freeze up.

Can this trail system be accomplished in a weekend?

Portages are easy to spot. Pike fishing is great. I would recommend staying at the James lake cabin rather than the Lynx lake cabin. The lake is more secluded and private and the scenery is great also. Good luck.

Ryan: easy in a weekend. I did the loop one year in my kayak; it was about an 8 hour trip in the rain. It was the only day I had available. Towards the end of the trip I came across a large group that was camping. A woman offered to have her kids carry the kayak to the next lake for me. She must have been worried about a chubby out of shape guy dropping dead in her camp.

A weekend should give you plenty of time to relax and enjoy the trip.

Thanks Leonard. We normally do lil Su every year and think a change would be good. Can anyone comment on if Nancy will be ice free by the second weekend of May?

I don't think the ice will be gone by than, but we are having some really nice days now. Good rains and wind help as much as anything

My wife and I did the loop on May 15th last year and all the lakes were open. There was one small spot still frozen, but it wasn't bad at all.