Thread: looking for quiet .22 long rifle ammo

Default looking for quiet .22 long rifle ammo

The 6 & 8 yr. old grand kids shot a few grouse on our big moose hunt. I was single loading .22 shorts in my old Browning T-Bolt, what a pain, but not real loud. Any one know of any standard velocity long rifle loads that are quieter then the generic .22 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The 6 & 8 yr. old grand kids shot a few grouse on our big moose hunt. I was single loading .22 shorts in my old Browning T-Bolt, what a pain, but not real loud. Any one know of any standard velocity long rifle loads that are quieter then the generic .22 ammo.
    I have found the Win & Rem 22LR Target loads to be pretty quiet and will load and cycle in bolts well, some semi autos will feed them also....
    No matter how quiet they are if the kids were to shoot several at one time I would rec some kind of hearing protection. 22's are decieving and the hearing damage can kinda sneak up on the shooter and kids ears are pretty sensitive...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Remington subsonics are relatively quiet in rifle length barrels and will feed through a T-bolt magazine.

Not as quiet as CBs or Shorts but much easier on the fumble factor...

What about a good 22 cal pellet rifle. They are quite and no problem taking birds at normal ranges.

Any of the sub-sonic loads will be your best bet. Under 1100fps or so depending on elevation. I shoot CCI's that run 1052fps around the house all the time and you can't even hear them indoors.

If you can't find a solution you like, and aren't opposed to buying another gun for the purpose, you might think about a lever or pump action rifle. They can chamber and fire short, long and long rifle ammo. I have a Henry frontier model that I love, and with CCI's 790 fps. shorts, it's even quieter than my air rifles yet plenty deadly enough for small game out to about 50 yards or so.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I've used the Aguila 60 gr. subsonic load, pretty much a heavy bullet on a .22 short case with a minimal powder charge, and it's fairly quiet, but not all .22 rifles will shoot the heavy bullet with a 1-16 twist.
    If you're up for the expense and paperwork hassle, a 'silencer', especially with subsonic loads, is REALLY quiet. Just expensive, and a pain in the butt dealing with the ATF folks. Like somewhere around $4-600 for a decent can, and another $200 tax to the feds when you register it.

Sub sonic or target loads CCI Green Tags are great. When I can find them I pick up Eleys EPS Flat Points but their expensive. I like the flat point for hunting but the green tags shot just as tight of groups and 1/2 the price. Both are 1080fps.If you need a HP everyone makes a subsonic HP 22lr.

I have had the 60gr keyhole so my ruger 77/22lr must not have enough twist for them. But with the above ten shots get covered by a dime at 40 yards with a VX2-7x28 RF scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    I've used the Aguila 60 gr. subsonic load, pretty much a heavy bullet on a .22 short case with a minimal powder charge, and it's fairly quiet, but not all .22 rifles will shoot the heavy bullet with a 1-16 twist.
    If you're up for the expense and paperwork hassle, a 'silencer', especially with subsonic loads, is REALLY quiet. Just expensive, and a pain in the butt dealing with the ATF folks. Like somewhere around $4-600 for a decent can, and another $200 tax to the feds when you register it.
    There are a few outfits in Anchorage that can answer all your questions and help with the transfer. Currently running about 90 days. Cost of the can is relative; you'll always have it, and they don't wear out. With a quality subsonic ammo and can, all you will hear is the click of the hammer striking the firing pin and a pfffftt.
    The Aguila subsonic is unreliable in cold temps.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I would look for an older single shot 22 and use shorts in it. Maybe even one of the newer ones like the cricket or such. They are made to load single rounds easily and are not expensive and fit the younger shooters better than a full sized 22.