Thread: haul road archery double

Default haul road archery double

my dad and i have been planning this haul road caribou trip since last year and was really looking forward to the trip. my dad came from oregon and was wondering what to expect. i told him there could be thousands of caribou, hardly any, or none if its terrible. we got passed atigan pass and into caribou contry and started seeing them at slope mountain. got first stalk on slope mountain within 80 yards but couldnt get it done before dark. on day 2 i was on the high road at slope glassing into the valley and saw a white chest for a second. i told dad im going down there, he said without even seeing horns? i said bou are spotty im going for it, humped it over a mile down and had good cover. i didnt see the bou so i walked out into the tundra 300 yards and looked back and saw him bedded. i moved along the creek bottom and got to 150 yards and feeding my way. i was in grass over my head and holding tight, he walked within 10 yards and though he was going to run me over, he went broadside and at 30 yards i smoked him. tough bugger, went 300 yards with an arrow passed through behind the shoulder falling several times and getting back up and doing the stevie wonder the whole time. bou number two came at what im sure is the farthest north stop light where the haul road construction was. he was my red light special bull. my dad looks up and see's 3 bou and one's a good one and the other a little guy. i asked what way you want to stalk 'em left or right? and ill go the other. well i guess the left was a better stalk. i came to a v in the valley and he was feeding at the base. i got to 80 yards and needed to get closer so i climbed the valley and came down on him farther up the v. i got to 56 yards and was about ready to pull back when i looked across the valley and only 100 yards was a giant bull. my dad was 300 yards down the valley and i dropped my bow and bad a v with my hands and pointed to the bull across the valley. it took about 1 minute before he got my signals and started climing, from where he was would have been only a 30 yard shot if he could get to the top of the hill. i went back to my stalk and he was at 90 now, had to go back and around the v again. when i came down again i had a mound in front of me and couldnt see the bou. i peak over the mound and see antlers on the other side, i was thinking should i range? no its 40 yards just pull back behind the mound ready and peak over to make the shot. i make the shot and bou didnt even step out of his tracks, double lung pass through and looked like he got hit from a bullet. my dad watched the blood flow which looked like a hose. he came up and i asked what happen to the big bull, he said what big bull? the one right on the ridge, he said " i thought you were telling me there was a bull below you." dang i thought he had a perfect stalkable bou. i take all 4 quarters and start heading to the truck, get back to the beggining of the v valley and there is the same big bull in the exact same spot bedded down. i didnt want to take 3 bulls before my dad got one so i tried everything to get his attention. in the end i just yelled "hey dad!" the bou got up and bolted right towards my dad and he said he got to 67 yards on the bull but couldnt get the shot. it was a great trip and had a ton of fun. my dads hooked and ready to go back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default bigger of the two bou, love his bez, wish he was bigger on top but ill take it :)

bigger of the two bou, love his bez, wish he was bigger on top but ill take it

haul road #3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

haul road #4.jpg slick trick broadheads opened up those caribou! awesome flying and hitting broadhead. these are the magnums.

i had to run back and get pack frames and didnt get any pics in the field with my bowtech testarossa guardian. got a pic loaded with my bow.

black bowtech.jpg

Very cool meat haul. That sounds like a fun hunt.

Awesome hunt, fellas! If only you had a Wiggy Van to bring it all home with! ;-P Haah!

Very stoked for you,

Taylor