Thread: DIY Brooks Range Caribou

Default DIY Brooks Range Caribou

Just getting over the jet lag from the long trip home and already thinking about going back!

70 North, Mike McCrary and Bob, set myself and my buddy Mike, down right in the thick of Caribou, leading to an exciting and successful week of hunting.
    2010 Alaska (Brooks Range) 019.jpg
    Of course the first evening, while setting up camp, we had a beautiful, but off limits, bull come right by camp. Pictures only as he just trotted on by!
    2010 Alaska (Brooks Range) 024 (5).jpg
    Days two through six were spent at the Caribou school of hard knocks! Trying to guess which direction they would head, getting in position to determine trophy quality, and possibly a shot, then ultimately passing on many small bulls, or watching bigger bulls head a completely different direction. Day four I pulled the trigger on a nice bull, then it time to look for one for Mike.

Day six we struck, last day of the hunt we decided to head out early as the majority of the activity had been mornings until about 11:00. About 1/2 mile from camp Mike spotted two nice bulls coming off a ridge and, as dumb luck would have it, headed right towards us. We decided that "on three" we would take both bulls. He decided that he, of course, wanted the bigger of the two, then on "ONE" he pulled the trigger. The second bull ran about 150yds and my .338 gave him a nice resting spot right there. Thankfully we had taken both of them, then we had to revisit the "on three" discussion.

2010 Alaska (Brooks Range) 008 (2).jpg 2010 Alaska (Brooks Range) 009 (2).jpg
    Mike McCrary suggested that we come out of the field that evening in order to make our flight the following day. We spent the day butchering the two bou, packing them back to camp, then breaking camp. We had a quick flight back to Happy Valley and recruited some help from Don in caping my animal. The meat was boxed and we headed off to Prudhoe Bay to catch our flight home the next day!

I can't say enough good things about Mike and Bob at 70 North! Don, it was great to meet you, thanks for help, and enjoy that couch!

Thanks for the good story. I've hunted with the "quick draw" type before....only once.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Sounds like a great hunt. I still give my buddy a hard time about the 3 count. I said "On Three okay.... One... Tw-BOOMMMM!!!"
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Congrat's to the both of you. That one is a slob

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksandnoles View Post
    We decided that "on three" we would take both bulls. He decided that he, of course, wanted the bigger of the two, then on "ONE" he pulled the trigger.
    Hey, I think I've hunted with the same guy. ("We" have since decided to not hunt together any more.)

Great pics - thanks for posting!

Hey thanks for the story and pics. You two guys really had a nice adventure.

Great report. My family and I will second your endorsement of 70 North. Two top-notch guys to work with.

Nice bulls. Congrats on a great DIY Brooks 'bou hunt!
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Two great bulls congrats

Awesome! So how exactly did that conversation go down?

Looks like great results, and good meat under all that antler.

Myself, I wouldnt do any counting, it can lead to bad shooting.I shoot when Im good and ready.

Seems it was his turn, anyway, as you had one down already. What comes next is what comes next, animal wize.
    Stand spotter, and when he's made the hit, then shoot at will, they always stop and look after a bit anyway.
    From the smiles, it looks like you two didnt mind the outcome.

goood.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Glad to hear you had a great hunt and made some memories that will last forever. I hope all the info I gave you, helped you out. Did you get any fishing in?

You gave me great information, thank you! I felt like we were well prepared for our hunt. We didn't get any significant fishing in, as we were having to hunt hard to fill our three tags. On the last morning we tagged out and we began organizing and packing for the trip home. Thanks again, hope to do it again next year. I will, however be doing some research on float hunts, sure sounds like a blast. Not sure that I want to try it myself for the first time, but we'll see.

Float hunting is addictive. Float hunting is by far my favorite way to hunt and guide. I can help you with float hunting info also. Rod