Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite .300 win mag round?

Default Favorite .300 win mag round?

Hey guys,
    What is your favorite .300 win mag round for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by fishin4rainbows View Post
    Hey guys,
    What is your favorite .300 win mag round for hunting?
    Mine would have to be 180 gr fusions

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

180 gn accubonds,
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Federal Premium Safari 180 grain Nozlers. Haven't bought a box in many years so not even sure if they still make them. I bought a case years ago and just now appear to be needing more. Never had anything move more than 10 feet after being smacked with one. Did have a moose get up once, but he looked like a drunk sailor. Three or four steps and he fell again, never to again see the light of day. I recovered that bullet under his skin with 98% weight retention. They are a bit heavy for Caribou, but nice insurance if the brown hairy thing shows up. I actually sight them is a bit high at 100 yds (about 3 inches) but it puts me at pie plate accuracy out to 300. If the animal is close, I just hold a little low, offeres a great site picture. On that note, with the exception of sheep and goat, a dead on hold that hits a paper plate from 100 to 300 yards is Alaska accurate in my mind.

Seems like I keep going back to the 180 gn Nosler Partitons as a comparrison to all the others that are very good on the market. The Accubonds, Barnes TSX & TTSX, Swift A frames etc, all work pretty well. I think the final straw is find one that "your gun likes" more than you like...
    If'n ya can get a mashmellow to fly fast enuff it will do the job - but will it be accurate?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I'm becoming a big fan of the 180 Accubond in the .300.

My favorite is the 180 grain tsx followed by the 180 hornady sst

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm becoming a big fan of the 180 Accubond in the .300.
    the nice thing about it also is that you can shoot the cheaper Ballistic tips and get the same practice as the more expensive Accubonds, as they both have the same Sectional Density and ballistic coefficient
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    the nice thing about it also is that you can shoot the cheaper Ballistic tips and get the same practice as the more expensive Accubonds, as they both have the same Sectional Density and ballistic coefficient
    Thanks Vince! I didn't know that. So they shoot to same point of aim in your rifle?

If I were shooting a .30 cal the 168gr Barnes TSX is the choice. You will retain 95% of the bullet weight and enjoy the benefits of the flatter shooting bullet. You would be hard pressed to find a 180gr Nosler of any flavor that will retain 168grs of weight. The TSX will....you'll be lucky to recover a bullet anyways.

168g Berger handloads
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I'll take the ranting but here goes.
    For me, it's Federal Gold Medal Match, 190 grain Sierra Boat Tail Hollow Point.
    I care more about hitting where I aim, far away if need be, than imploding his insides.
    Out to 600 yards is the farthest I'll ever take. The moose hanging in the driveway got it between the eyes yesterday at about 40 yards. Fell in his tracks.

ive used my 150 grain Hornady GMX handloads to take a sheep and a moose. Both at around 200 yards. Both were one shot kills. no bullet recovered in either case

I have used 180 grain Hornaday spire points for about 30 years. I used to weigh any recovered bullets and almost always found the weight of the large piece to almost equal the original bullet weight. I like the ability to put a light crimp on the canelure (sp). They have been accurate. They were less expensive than most of the specialty choices and with the retained weight, accuracy I never saw a reason to change. Used them on moose, black bear, sheep, caribou, deer, bison (switched to 220 grain round point) and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Thanks Vince! I didn't know that. So they shoot to same point of aim in your rifle?
    thats correct. i like the B/tip as a hunting round also it does a nice job on balck bears and such makes big holes at each end leaving little doubt where the spun into...

meet on face book here

Winchester XP-3's 180 grain.

I have had great luck with this round after having to find a replacement with the discontinued Fail Safe line.

Why they discontinued the Fail Safe's, I have no idea, great bullet IMO but the XP-3's seem to work great.

I've shot several elk, deer, a Kodiak brown bear, dall sheep and a slew of heavy boned African animals with this round and it performed great in all cases.

180 gr Barnes TSX
    150 gr Rem Core-Lokt

180 gr Core-Lokt's My rifle loves em and I have yet to need to put a second shot into an animal. Most are DRT.

Just my Nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

I'd have to say so far it's the Winchester 180gr. Ballistic Silver Tip. Took my goat this year with it, one shot with good placement was all I needed. I am going to try out some 180 Winchester Supreme Elite XP-3's and Hornandy 165 gr Inter-bonds.
    Used some Federal fusions in the past with horrible luck. They were all over the place.

Factory loads that both shoot under MOA from my stock Browning a-bolt in 300WM (Alaskan proven).

For big stuff - Remington Safari 200 grain Swift A-frames

Everything else - Remington 180 PSP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast