Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide Load

Default Wide Load

How many of you got picked up this holiday weekend for pulling your, more than 8.5ft boat to the water? I did. I was stopped Friday afternoon by a trooper just after turning off the Seward Highway toward the tunnel. He waved another guy over that was going around me as well. He was sitting there just to nail wide-load boat trailers as they were going to Whittier.

I thought I would be OK on Friday, but, they started the holiday at Friday noon. They need to change this. My boat is 9.5ft and a 9-10ft boat pulls down the road just a easy as an 8.5ft boat. I can see the need for construction equipment and materials or something that requires slower speeds or other accomadations that could lead to hazardous situations in heavy traffic. It seems like recreational boaters are caught in the middle here.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

You can pull a 9.5' boat... just get the flippin' permit and you'll be legal. I hate it when people intentionally and willfully break well established laws and then complain when they get cited for it. BTW, the width thing has nothing to do with how well it tows; it is all about the width of the road and the safety of the rest of us out on the highway.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Lighten up!! I had the permit. The issue was pulling it during the holiday weekend and the issue continues to be closing holiday weekends and in this case from noon on friday to midnight on tuesday. Especially trailers that can be pulled safely and at speed with the rest of the traffic.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    You can pull a 9.5' boat... just get the flippin' permit and you'll be legal. I hate it when people intentionally and willfully break well established laws and then complain when they get cited for it. BTW, the width thing has nothing to do with how well it tows; it is all about the width of the road and the safety of the rest of us out on the highway.
    I don't know if you have a boat that requires a permit to be hauled. If you do, then read what it says about specific holidays like Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day. If you don't, well...... Regarding the safety of others, I'm pretty sure the rig "dtol" was hauling was much safer then the clap-trap rigs you see getting hauled down the highway on a regular basis. He's probably got in excess of $250k invested. The six inches per side "extra" doesn't have any effect on your safety. The rule is in place to prevent commercial oversize loads from impeding traffic on an extremely busy weekend. The permit process for non-commercial rigs needs to be overhauled. If the Troopers were really interested in your safety, they would pull over the clap-traps for an inspection.

I missed the point of the OP, sorry about that. Thought you were complaining about the wide load permit need in general. I forget that some people get holidays off.

If the permit regs need to be changed, then go to the state legislature and get them changed.

This has nothing to do with troopers enforcing a law that's on the books. Rules is rules regardless of what you think of them. So lay off the trooper just doing his job and lay onto the lawyers at the Capital building who are making the rules that the cops have to enforce.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Talking

If I was a Trooper I'ld stop you just for a 1st hand look at that boat

A couple of things here.....1st it has been stated a couple of times here on this forum about the restrictions and towing a wide load, 2nd you either did not have all the required paperwork or didn't read it, or just decided to ignore the Holiday Restrictions (HR) supplement you are suppose to be carrying, 3rd remember if you are moving between 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 after sunrise you are require to carry the Hours of Darkness (HD) supplement and have the proper reflective tape attached and lights, last thing at least he stopped you off the Seward Hwy outside of the Double Fine Zone, yes that applies to more then just speeding.

I'm sorry this is so pointed but you know you knew you were illegal and I tried to warn folks back July time frame that they were planning to do a little sting operation for the last holiday weekend.

I don't agree with nor do I care for the restrictions but I do try to find out and abide by the law as written.

I didn't get pick up for begin oversized on the hoilday, because I won't tow then, as it was part of the agreement to be able to get a wide load permit. I often think that my Wide Load sign on the back of the boat has been changed to read Pass Me, since even though I am tow at or above the speed limit, everyone assumes I am going slow and passes me. On the July 4th weekend this year I counted 14 officers on patrol between Seward and Anchorage. They have a problem with people getting in a hurry and killing others on this section of road, so they are doing what they can to stop it.

One more thing, I think the restriction times are fair, since as you get closer to the holiday weekend the traffic picks up, and they don't want the wide loads on the highway during these high traffic times.

****, I must be getting old. I am supporting the Man and all of the rules I use to break! They are starting to make sense to me.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

dtol - How much was the fine? Just curious.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I tried to warn folks back July time frame that they were planning to do a little sting operation for the last holiday weekend.

I don't agree with nor do I care for the restrictions but I do try to find out and abide by the law as written.
    "Dupont Spinner", you did throw that out the last time. I also abide by the rules. I was merely venting, as I did in July. I wanted to haul mine up to Anchor Point on Monday, but it stayed put.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    "Dupont Spinner", you did throw that out the last time. I also abide by the rules. I was merely venting, as I did in July. I wanted to haul mine up to Anchor Point on Monday, but it stayed put.
    Nothing personal taken......I hated most when you haul somewhere and the long weekend ends up being bust for a mechanical or the weather up and changes to real bad and there you sit either tied to the dock or worse yet on the trailer waiting for 12:01 Tuesday morning to make the haul back.

If they let you thru the contractor operating the tunnel will be fined......a few years ago they were nailed with 79 violations for allowing oversize loads thru without proper paperwork and/or during restricted hours. That is where the pipe measurement system 1st came about to check oversize loads.

I don't want to be a butthead....but, when you buy a boat knowing it is over the legal width of 8.5' you need to know and understand the rules. If you do not want the hassles then stay under the 8.5' limit and tow whenever you please. MHO!!!!!

The rule is in place to prevent commercial oversize loads from impeding traffic on an extremely busy weekend.
    As a commercial trucker I can easily say that my 565hp. Cummins powered semi has no problem what-so-ever getting down the road with a 120" wide load behind it at the posted speed limit. The rules are there for all of us and it's sure a pain when I HAVE to move something that requires a permit because of a holiday. I'm just trying to make a living and those towing boats are doing it for fun (in most cases). There are loads, because of their weight, that limit us to certain speeds. However, lots of overwidth loads allow us to cruise right along at 65mpgh like everyone else.

Just be glad that you guys don't have to deal with Commercial Vehicle Enforcement. Private guys have it easy. I now even have to have D.O.T. numbers on my pickup, have a class A CDL and follow all the commercials regs because I tow a 10,500# capacity trailer behind it for my business. Now they changed the regs to require you to stop at the scales or all CVE roadside stops if your GVW of your company truck is over 10,000# or combined weight of 10,000#. What a complete ass pain if you are a contractor that just tows a 4000# tool trailer behind his 7000# truck.

Just wait for them to start pulling over all the charter boats being towed by pickups. If that boat and trailer is more than 10,000# and is used commercially you are required to have a Class A commercial drivers license.

I agree that the whole thing has gotten to be insane, but right now it's the law.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The requirement to have DOT #'s on your pickup have always been in place for business operations, just loosely enforced(my interpetation is below). Something to note is that many of the Charter operations out of Deshka Landing have had their DOT numbers on now for at least 2 if not 3 summers.

Even thou you are not a commerical operator but moving an oversize load it does not exempt you from all DOT requirements. It's just that the DOT can't write you the ticket if an equipment violation is found and why they do not check very hard. They will call the troopers if they deem it serious enough violation.

The law reads, and this is not the offical interpetation just mine, but if you use your vehicle to make money then you are required to have DOT numbers affixed to the vehicle. I asked one time if that included the Pizza delivery guy and the answer I got was YES it could. So bascially if you use your vehicle to advertise said business and use it to transport materials that benefit that business then you are required to obtain DOT #'s.

At one point here a year or so ago they were nailing guys pulling their rigs to the drag races or tractor pulls down in the lower 48. Some pencil pusher figured it was for profit because they were awarded cash prizes for winning.....a horrible interpetation but it got alot of folks tickets for a couple of months.

Alot of the new enforcement came about because of Hurricane Katrina. There was many rules that got bent or just completely ignored on the basis of National Emergency. People were moving huge loads with pickups with little to no enforcement. There was no commerical enforcement for those drivers, they were driving around the clock, hauling loads way beyond the vehicle capabilities, etc, etc, etc. out of this came the new enforcement focus, just took longer to get here to Alaska.

Last but not least is this is the State enforcing Federal Regulations. The state has to meet the Federal standards at a minimum and the state can make them stricter. If they do not enforce the fed regs we get no federal road funds.

IMO I believe they should be some type of inspection required for all trailers pulled down the road to ensure properly functioning brakes, lights and breakaway devices.

A little on my back ground.....I use to be involved heavily in Hazardous Material Transportation Class "A" across State and International borders. I currently carry a commerical "B" license with a HazMat endorsement.

D.O.T number for cars involved in commerce...nope. Pickups, yes because they generally have a combined GVW of over 10,000 lbs
    Commercial Motor Vehicle (49 CFR Part 390.5)

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle:
    1. Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
    2. Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
    3. Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
    4. Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Just wait for them to start pulling over all the charter boats being towed by pickups. If that boat and trailer is more than 10,000# and is used commercially you are required to have a Class A commercial drivers license.
    I agree that the whole thing has gotten to be insane, but right now it's the law.
    There is selective enforcement everywhere. For example, the charter operators in Ninilchik/Deep Creek always move on Holiday weekends (albeit a short trip). And I'm pretty sure some don't have any permit whatsoever, much less a Class A license.

I did a big tow from NC to WA this past year. I first started getting OW permits, then gave up and save a bunch of money. In MO they wanted a $750K liability insurance policy. I told them to shove it.

You can read it here: http://clubsearay.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27625

As Alaska has limited roads and the amount of traffic in the summer, I can understand the restrictions. These restrictions are normal in the L48. It will be interesting if I decide to tow my Sea Ray up the highway from Washington.

Question: Can a 30' boat that is 10' wide can fit in the tunnel? Cost?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Question: Can a 30' boat that is 10' wide can fit in the tunnel? Cost?
    It should be $35.. Here is a link to the toll fees: toll
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

So this would be $35?
    Attached Images Attached Images

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

If it is 10' wide or less at it's widest point. If it is 10'1", it is $350.00. They where measuring this year and marking the wide load permits.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    If it is 10' wide or less at it's widest point. If it is 10'1", it is $350.00. They where measuring this year and marking the wide load permits.
    Wow that is a big jump. Mt transon is exactly 10 wide on the boat. I will have to remove the trailer guide-on as it places it a little over 10'.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast