Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horses or packers needed! Denali Highway

Default Horses or packers needed! Denali Highway

Good Morning. We have a client at Alpine Creek Lodge that has taken a couple of moose about 3 miles up the Clearwater River. One of the guys got sick and they are looking for a way to get the meat out. They are looking at getting horses in there, or hiring packers. Do you guys have any quick suggestions? Please give a call if you have a good idea to get them out at 907-743-0565.

Thanks,
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Claude to verify that is the Clear water CUA area also? walk in only correct?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Good Morning Vince.

Yes, it is in the Clearwater Controlled Use Area. No motorized vehicles..... I knew I should have bought some mules!

How did they get in? Walk? Seems like most drag canoes or ride horses. They shoulda had a better plan rather than shoot a couple moose then worry about them.

There is a guy with horses in Healy, but he'll charge an arm and a leg to get them out. Don't remember his name.

Tim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Good Morning Vince.

Yes, it is in the Clearwater Controlled Use Area. No motorized vehicles..... I knew I should have bought some mules!
    I have a Soar Pro pioneer available to float meat down the river to the road. if some one from this end can make it down that way... i don't know that i can break away with two moose of my own hanging in the trailer... the clear water should be able to float it still.. the raft is 80 lbs empty and rolled.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

There is a guy with horses in Healy, but he'll charge an arm and a leg to get them out. Don't remember his name.

Tim
    That would cost an ass load for sure...

I hear you on the cost! They said money is no object. If you have a number and name, I'll give them a call.

No suggestions other than, there are a few forum members with horses. Be sure to advise them of the Transporter Licensing requirements. No money or compensation can change hands, unless the transporter is licensed. The Troopers will big deal it and both will be in hot water. No trading out the meat either. It can only be done as a favor or pay a licensed transporter.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

How about if 20 or 30 of us just hike in and have a huge BBQ party?

J/K...Kudos on requesting help when you get in over your head. Hopefully, someone can step up and help out.

BTW, I once hunted with a guy who got sick shortly after we started packing meat...uh huh...

No disrespect, but why in the heck did they shoot 2 moose 3 miles off the road?? Even one moose that far is quite the endeavor in getting it back. Good luck in finding help!

Yep, aware of the requirements. Hoping someone here might know of someone. I can't get ahold of any of the transporters this morning, so we'll see. If not, I may walk up there tomorrow and grab a couple of loads to help out. My back is telling me 'hell no!'.

If they were to buy the horses and tack with receipts and everything, use their own horses, then sell them back with receipts and everything, dang if they didn't take a loss....but then that's horse tradin!

Yeah, we can question why they shot them, but they are moose, and they will get them out by themselves if needed, but were hoping to hire some pack animals. I hear you on everyone getting sick all of sudden once the meat hits the ground! One of the guys pulled the out of State tag, so he's pretty jazzed.

By the time they get this figured out they could of lassoed another moose with a rope domesticated it then have a pack moose to carry its buddies out.

I'd help the guys out with my horses just for gp if it were a bit closer
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Are all Alaska hunters such pansies? Three miles.

Spoken like someone who has packed a 120# hindy 3 miles then turned around and done it 15 more times...LMAO..

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy View Post
    This is gonna get interesting...

Nah just the ones we imported from Montana, seems like all them Montana boys are pretty weak compared to the rest of the imports. Heck they make the California imports look like pack mules and thats saying something!!!

A hind quarter of a moose weighs almost as much as a deer, how far can you carry an entire whitey
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast