Thread: conversion or replacement?

Question conversion or replacement?

I've got a sporterized 03-A3 with a loose front sight that's been sitting in my gun case collecting dust for quite a while now. Even if it was fixed, I'd still pick up my lightweight BDL Mountain 270 for most hunts. So, I've been thinking about converting the '06 to either 35 Whelen or 338-06 (leaning toward the Whelen). I'd keep the peep sight and use it as a mooser/brush beater, where I'll admit my go-to 270 might be a little out of its element. So, would it be worth it to do a conversion, or should I fix the sight, sell it, and then just buy one of the big '06 variants?

Also, any recommendations for a gunsmith in the Valley with a reputation for doing good work without requiring a limb for payment?

P.S. I'm also looking at bagging this plan altogether and selling off a couple of my dusty rifles and picking up a new BLR take-down in 325WSM. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Check these folks out,good work and fast for service rendered. It may well be cheaper in the long run to sell and buy but if you like your 03 a couple hundred might make it perfect

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the link. But for any work done, I'd really like to keep the $$ as local as I can. Surely there's a good local gunsmith out there.

Try Craig Parker & Associates.

How "sporterized" is the rifle? If it has yet to be drilled and tapped, and has merely had the stock cut down, you'd be ahead to find an original or replacement stock set for it and sell it off. Decent A3's that haven't been buggered up, and restored to 'as issued' condition can be worth quite a bit more than you might imagine.
    An original A3 sight assembly is held in position on the barrel with a spline and cross pin, and the sight blade itself is pinned onto the sight base. It's not uncommon to see the sight blade work loose, and other than bothering the owner, does little to affect accuracy. If, on the other hand, the sight base is loose, you can knock the small pin out, remove the base, and peen the spline, or install one if it's missing.
    I've got to assume that it's got it's original barrel, which on it's own, can be worth up to a couple hundred bucks.
    Please give a bit better description of the A3, like, is it a Remington or Smith Corona, barrel date and manufacture code on the barrel behind the front sight, and describe the rear sight.
    If the metal has been polished, the receiver drilled and tapped for scope base or side mount aperture sight, or if the bolt handle has been altered, you still have a really decent base for a sporter project, and any good gunsmith worth his salt can thread, contour, chamber, and finish a barrel in any caliber you wish. Biggest problem with an A3 sporter project is that they're fairly expensive to convert, unlike a 98 Mauser, where there's almost any part imagineable made in the aftermarket for them.
    Unless you want a 'custom' gun, you're money ahead to sell or trade the A3 on a commercial rifle in a chambering that suits your needs. Customs are rarely worth the money put into them, and are only really valuable if the owner takes 'em to the grave with him......
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-12-2010 at 18:10. Reason: .

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get a better description together, maybe with a couple of pics.