Thread: How to clean your leather sheath?

Default How to clean your leather sheath?

After a successfull hunt this weekend, I put all my knives and saws away in the leather sheaths and am now wondering how to clean the inside of the leather holders. Seems odd to clean the knife and saw and put it right back into the same sheath that was used minutes after the last piece of meat or bone was cut. Any ideas how to clean these leather items so next time I have the oportunity to use them I won't be disapointed by what I find inside the sheath and on my tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    After a successfull hunt this weekend, I put all my knives and saws away in the leather sheaths and am now wondering how to clean the inside of the leather holders. Seems odd to clean the knife and saw and put it right back into the same sheath that was used minutes after the last piece of meat or bone was cut. Any ideas how to clean these leather items so next time I have the oportunity to use them I won't be disapointed by what I find inside the sheath and on my tools?
    Take a rifle bore brush on a short length of rod to scrub the inside of the sheath with detergent and water. Rinse with fresh water and dry a bit. Mix up a mild bleach/water solution (5%) and spray it into the sheath (recycle an old Windex bottle or somesuch). Let it set for 1/2 hr and then rinse with fresh water again. Let it dry thoroughly. Reoil the leather with mineral oil or vegetable oil once dry.

My $ 0.02, hope this helps.

- Jay

ps. don't let the bleach solution sit for more than about a half hour. If the sheath has cotton thread stitching, it'll start to weaken the threads.