Thread: Anchor

Default Anchor

Anchor is slow for cohos the past few days. Stuck 5 over the weekend but not many fish being caught. Decent numbers of fish moved into the river on Sunday but most we moving fast upriver due to rising water. Series of big tides are coming the next 3 days so perhaps one last slug of fish will move up.

Steelhead fishing has been fair to good. Caught 2 chrome-bright beauties in the AM on Sunday while fishing for cohos. In fact, by far most of fish being caught on the river are steelhead. Sad to say that I saw many steelies pulled onto the banks, badly handled, or even bashed on the head because folks don't know they aren't silvers. There were some near brawls between knowledgeable locals and morons who were abusing steelhead. I'm really concerned about the steelhead fishery in the Anchor. There aren't nearly as many fish as people think as many of these fish are being caught multiple times. I probably saw 30 steelhead caught this weekend and barely more than that went over the weir....

Coho pics:

I like your photos. Good shots. Thanks for the report, and it will get worse before it gets better.

great photos OK!

How some one could not tell the difference is beyond me. It is sad that people take the stealies out of there not knowing any better or people miss handling them. Once there gone we will have no one to blame but our selves.

This world has all kinds. Some think a fish is a fish is a fish. I have tried to help folks with identification, and more often than not, they think they are being reprimanded and are just plain *****e$$. Then there are the others that claim ignorance. Those are the ones I am not nice with.

Really no different than any other Mixed Stock Fishery. There will be some level of By-Catch.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

That's a shame about the mishandling...looking forward to some metalhead action later this month down there. Great pics though!

Sapper in the Skies

Need to start calling F&G when you see something. The hotline works (800-478-3377) well, go program it into your cell phone. When you see something, call it and report. Take a couple of pictures if you can, get their license plate number. You can also call the troopers down there at 235-8239 or the Homer F&G office at 235-8191.

The enforcement officers can't be every where at once. But if they know somehting is wrong, they will try to come. Granted most of these people just need an education, it might just take a hard lesson for it to sink in.

Being NONLOCAL / NONRESIDENT I will have to plead ignorance on the fish ID situation. I have downloaded several articles and pictures on the salmon. I have seen / caught Kings, Silvers, & Reds, but I still need help. Not sure on pinks & chums. Guess I'm a slow learner. As you can see by my location, I am a Missourian and our state motto is "THE SHOW ME STATE". So the best way for me to learn is SHOW ME.

BUT what is a quick way to tell the differance?

Steelhead have squarer tails than coho, with a slightly different spotting pattern. spots on a steelheads caudal fin are arranged in lines along the rays, and are on both the dorsal and ventral sides of the tail. Coho have a more randomized spotting that is generally (though not always) confined to the dorsal side of the tail.

For steelhead, the posterior edge of the anal fin lies in a vertical plane relative to the posterior insert of the fin...the coho is past vertical, rising front-to-back.

Steelhead have 12 or fewer rays in the anal fin, coho have 13 or more.

The inside of a steelhead's mouth is white or cream colored - the coho has a black tongue, mottled mouth, and a light gumline.

The maxillary of a steelhead does not extend past the posterior edge of the orbit...on a coho this is variable, but they almost always have maxillae that extend past the posterior edge of the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Steelhead have 12 or fewer rays in the anal fin, coho have 13 or more..
    That's the surest way to tell (IMO). I'm pretty sure all Salmon are 13 or more and steelhead are 12 or less.

Any of the steelhead coming into the anchor I have seen already have their blush colors down the side and cheek.

Thanks for the update Okisutch, I plan on heading down there in the next few weeks. I've never hit up the Anchor for Steelies, any suggestions on where to hit it. I've fished for Metalheads before on the Situk, but never on the roadsystem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I usually look at the color of the mouth, spots on tail (fin), and the color and shape of the fish. See below for in-depth analysis, or check the ADF&G website or Regulations book for pictures/descriptions.

Correctly identifying AK salmon/steelhead can be tricky, but it HAS to be done in order to keep our fisheries intact.
    Don't be like my buddy a few weeks ago on the Kenai and throw back a beauty silver thinking it's a pink!

I've caught many Steelies in the Anchor that do not have blush color. They are silver bright. F&G does need to post a few more fish ID education pictures to help people. That is an awesome fishery and needs all the help it can get.

At every parking area on the lower Anchor there have been (in past years) pictures of steelhead posted by ADF&G with a discription and even the reg about not being allowed to take steelhead or rainbows out of the water. Not sure how much more ADF&G can do to educate those fishing this river on this matter. If you are not sure if you have a silver or a steelhead then simply release it without taking it out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Thanks for the update Okisutch, I plan on heading down there in the next few weeks. I've never hit up the Anchor for Steelies, any suggestions on where to hit it. I've fished for Metalheads before on the Situk, but never on the roadsystem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Fish On!
    Hey bigcox,

I usually park at the Slidehole campground and fish the first big bend downstream of the campground at first light. Another good holding spot for steelhead is, ironically, just upstream from the Steelhead campground. Also try the first big hole/run upstream from the weir. Any relatively deep run, especially if it is tight against the bank, is a good spot for steel on the Anchor.

I fish a conehead rabbit leech in combinations of black, purple, and/or fuchsia, often with a bead pegged above the fly. This works well because you can dead drift and swing. Dead-drifting a large (10-12 mm) bead is probably as if not more effective, too.

Good luck.