Thread: Marlin "do not fire" list of 1998

Question Marlin "do not fire" list of 1998

OK, my gunsmith found my old Marlin turn of the century shotgun was in 1998 listed with a bunch others as "do not fire" by Marlin Arms, with no reason why. Anyone have the link for this and the true reason for the listing? Thanks!

Their biggest worry was the bolt disconnect and possibility of the bolt coming out when fired. The same thing could happen with the Winchester 97. Its also possible for hammer wear so the hammer follows the bolt home when pumped. If your gun is sound it should be safe to shoot with loads up to 8,000psi. In older guns I have found the Winchester AA featherlites a good shell or any of the 2 1/2" loads out there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yep Amigo Will as far as I have been able to come up with would be what you describe. I shot it about 15 years ago with Walmart trap loads of some manufacture that I can't remember but I had to use a cleaning rod to knock out the shells either due to either maybe a bad extractor or a tight chamber? Either way I think this will go over a future mantle of mine. Will I am enjoying that holster my friend! Thanks again!

Glad its getting good use. Sounds like extractor problem and maybe just another spring to fix. I think most of the Marlin 21 bolt parts interchange with the 1898
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hmmm that sounds like that could be the fix for it. The stock needs replacing as it is oil soaked and missing pieces so I think I will just leave it as a wall hanger. Interesting gun though, has some serious history too. Will look good above a future cabin mantle.