Thread: quasi-digiscoping: point-n-shoot camera and spotting scope

Default quasi-digiscoping: point-n-shoot camera and spotting scope

I know you can buy special adapters for using a digital camera with a spotting scope to take pictures (i.e. digiscoping). However, my question is for you folks who have had decent luck just holding your camera up in front of your spotting scope eye piece and taking a picture of that far off moose or Dall sheep. Are there settings on your camera that make this easier? Perhaps it pertains more to the style / model of point and shoot digital camera being used....? I know the quality of such photos is really sub-par compared to a DSLR set-up with a telephoto lens. But it seems some folks have pretty good luck at least capturing the image of what is being seen in their spotting scope. I have tried this in the past and have had terrible luck, often all I get is black in the picture. Perhaps it is just my model of camera (older version Pentax Optio WP). I ask as I'm about ready to go on a caribou hunting trip and figure there'll be a time or two I might want to take a picture of a bull through my spotting scope - the zoom on my Pentax ain't gonna cut it

Thanks for any advice,

Zoom in a bit on the Pentax and position the front of the camera a mm or two from the spotting scope eyepiece. As you stated, you really need an adapter. I have done this with my Zeiss Diascope and Sony point and shoot. Works ok, but is a pain even with a bracket. Larger lcd screens help as you can more easily see the focus in lcd. Tossing a shirt or something over your head will block out light and aid in this as well. Holding the point and shoot steady with the high magnification of the spotter will be the challenge without a bracket. Rig up some kind of counterweight under the tripod to steady the spotter. That alone will pay big dividends.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for the tips Dan. I should have mentioned I have a Swaro ATS spotter with a really nice eye piece so I'm guessing the scope isn't nearly as limiting a factor as is the Pentax Optio.