Thread: Denali Highway condtion?

Default Denali Highway condtion?

Want to take wifey on a drive across the Denali Highway starting from the Cantwell side.
    How are the road conditions for a 30 foot RV?
    Tennessee

no problems
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Just had a co worker get back from the big Su crossing. 3 flats 2 on the trailer 1 on the pickup. Lots of sharp fractured rock graded to the surface. He talked to the grader operator he gave every excuse in the book. Drive slow.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Want to take wifey on a drive across the Denali Highway starting from the Cantwell side.
    How are the road conditions for a 30 foot RV?
    Randy flew over yesterday and vehicles looked like they were moving along very well for the Denali. Secure everything and watch for the wash board on the hills, turns, bridges and many other various places that folks would tend to brake/accelerate hard. Did see one small wash out towards Cantwell but no issue to drive by, but if buzzing along after dark going west it could sneak up on you as I did not see cones marking it.

Just drove it today with my camper, no problem. The only caution I would give is to watch the little stretch where the graders are building up the road. The soil they are pulling up from the ditches onto the road is a bit greasy if its raining, but no big deal.

Thank you for the updates on the Denali. We will be heading that direction on 9 Sept and be there till the end of the season.
    Good hunting everyone.

Been out there many times this season including yesterday. This summer is the best I've ever seen it. Even with all the rain. Rumor has it there is a new DOT foreman there

Same old Highway, the areas with sharp rock is the result of 'hands off engineering', very hard rock, and with no 'fines' mixed in, conditions are,,, the faster you drive, the odds go up for flats. Lots of the grease, mostly comes from mag cloride put on this year, more than any time since it was built.
    The road can be fine on a Friday, but with rain and heavy traffic, it can goe to 'hades' by Monday.
    Even at its worse, drive a bit slow and its fine. Ups the odds for seeing game too !
    I've lived on the west side for some time now.

Smile just got home 3 hours a go

the road from cantwell to big sue was in very good shape

Just got back from the MacLaren. Excellent shape. They're re-grading some of it right now. You might get held up for a little bit but it makes for excellent roads right now.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6