Thread: Half fishing, half camping, probably half...

Default Half fishing, half camping, probably half...

...azzed question.

Might anyone have a recommendation as to where we might find a riverfront RV campground on the lower Kenai next July with some bank access when the reds are around? We were kind of hoping for a private campground so's we wouldn't embarass ourselves too bad in front of the general public.

There was a thread on here a couple of months ago that kind of talked about the subject
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t-on-the-kenai but we were hoping to get beyond the Centennial/Swiftwater competition in terms of making reservations and not muddling up the locals with our "yet to be refined" technique.

Any advise much appreciated!

Thanks, Jay

here's my half azzed answer:

I think you should. Good luck.

Kidding. Of course. I fished centennial a bit this year and to be honest, it never really felt that crowded. I just walked a little away from the parking lot and always found a good stop. I met some good people and to be honest, it seemed like the majority of people there didnt really know what they were doing so you guys might fit right in! haha!

Its not like you'll be surrounded by a bunch of pros laughing at you guys because you're not good 'flossers'.

"Oh man!! Look at that guys yarn! Its yellow! What a loser! All the cool kids are using Orange!"

Its not a big deal. People are there to catch fish. If you're really bad at it, someone is more likely to offer help than to be bothered by it.

I know your question was more about finding an alternative, but if you do not find one, just keep in mind that centennial is a more than a decent spot to go fish with some buddies.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Most of them don't know how to fish, so don't worry about it...

Some friends of mine have a river front place on the Lower. Here's the link to theirs, http://www.kenairiverfront.com/ but who knows...July could possibly be booked out by now. I always count on July 15th-ish for the big run of reds...this year a hot day on the Lower was July 19th, altho we did well a week after that, too.
    Also, here's the link to the cumulative run from this year. It varies, of course, but mid-July is pretty consistent for Reds.
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/mariner/uci/uciesc.php
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Oh, and another thing...don't worry about what the people around you think. I have lived up here for 28 years, but this was the first summer I've pole-fished for Reds. I simply watched for a while (20 mins or so) and you'll see how everyone is "flipping". Also, the local tackle shops will help you out with how to rig your poles, etc...but, realistically, it's pretty basic and we can help you out on here, too.

On the days when the Reds are in, you almost can't NOT catch one. It's a fun fishery for sure...and the best eating Salmon, I believe.
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Thanks for the advise thusfar, much appreciated!

- Jay