Thread: .460 S&W for hunting

Default .460 S&W for hunting

Any of you fellers out there that own a S&W model .460 with the 8 3/8" barrel (or as I understand it a 7 1/2" barrel minus the muzzle break) do any reloading and chronographing?

If so I am wondering what maximum values for velocity you have been seeing for 325gr and 350 gr jacketed or cast bullets?

The reason I ask is that I have been contemplating purchasing a .460 for the advantages it offers in trajectory over my .454 Casull at ranges over 100 yards.

Also, please don't start quoting Hodgon or other vendor data in any answers you post. I am looking for real world data out of the 8 3/8" (7.5") barrel. Not the tested 10" barrels that most vendor data is constructed from.

Thank you for your time,

Jeff

needcoffee, I tested one last year and took it on a hog hunt. It's a lot of revolver. The one I used was accurate with the loads I was shooting -- 200 grain Hornady and the 395 grain CorBons. Again, it's a really cumbersome piece. How far out do you intend to shoot? I haven't found any of my .454s in the past to be lacking out to 200 yards or so.