Thread: Valdez Halibut and Ling Cod

Default Valdez Halibut and Ling Cod

Can anyone provide me with some fishing locations in the Valdez area. I have fished Valdez several times this summer but I have been unable to find any nice halibut or ling cod. I have gone out as far as the islands straight out from the Valdez narrows. To date I have only been able to bring in halibut in the 5 pound range. I am not looking for monsters but I would like some in the 20 to 30 pound range.

Thanks

Go farther out, but watch the weather.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Go farther out, but watch the weather.
    Well that helps...

I heard from another forum member that the mouth of Galena Bay was pretty good. I didn't ask him for specifics, but I'm sure if you work the up or downside of those underwater "hills" you should catch something...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Well that helps...

I've never fished out of Valdez, so I wouldn't be able to point him in the right direction anyways.

Homer is a different story.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I won't give away my family spot of "years and years" but, I will say you can catch halibut just outside the Valdez narrows that reach 40+ lb. Read the charts, look for "halibut" land and work the tide at the "right" time. Lincod...out towards around Montague.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thank you for the assistance. After doing a little more research concerning halibut migration patterns I decided to try heading west out of Seward. I landed 4 halibut in the 30 to 40 pound range and 4 lingcod. The smallest lingcod was just over 40 pounds and two were over 50.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Would you like to elaborate on halibut land and what the right tides are? To me it's an area shallow enough to fish,(300 feet or less) where it get much deeper fast on an outgoing tide, a ripe tide area on an incoming or sandy bottom with kelp.