Thread: Seward -Labor Day wk end

Thumbs up Seward -Labor Day wk end

One of the only boats in the pool. Got some silvers (one was huge), a halibut, some cod, and rock fish. Plenty of motorhomes, just no boats.

Myers- Were the fish you found inside or outside the bay? Plan on headed out there later this week with an outside guest, any help would be most appreciated.

Default Lowell point and 4th July creek

Silvers; Troll as close to the shore as possible, from the beach (section with the nice houses/cabins) to the shoal area south of that, right along that cliff area between the too. -We didn't see a single fish jump all weekend, but catching is better proof than seeing.

Halibut; Fourth of July Creek, 150ft to deeper floating in front of it.

Good luck

Thanks Myers! We'll see what we can do. Apprecite the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    -We didn't see a single fish jump all weekend, but catching is better proof than seeing.
    I've fished Seward since about 1992 and in all that time I learned to equate jumping silvers with don't bother fishing there. Most of the fish I've ever caught have been in areas where there are NO or very few fish jumping. So don't decide that since you haven't seen any fish jump that there aren't any around.

I was once told by someone down there that to catch the fish just head for the outer fringe of where you see fish jumping.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Good advice MFC. I have had similar experiences when targeting silvers. Thank god for sounders.

Default True

When they start a jumping frenzy in front of the harbor in Seward it's over. The snagging from the beach may be the best bet at catching one, but the bite is usually off. This isn't to say just because there are some jumping that it's bad fishing, Pony Cove has a mix of jumpers and good catching, yet the density of fish is usually high and they are feeding.

Fished all the way from fox island to Lowell point. Not a single takedown. Very slow for me. Didn't see any jumpers either. Fished for 6 hours Monday and only an hour Sunday as the weather got bad for my little boat.

Any word today on the fishing? Thinking of heading down tomorrow. Might try for halibut and rockfish also.