Thread: What A Way To Start The Day

Default What A Way To Start The Day

I did not shoot very well when I went to shoot Saturday. I could not get comfortable at my friends make shift bench and I kept moving at the point I pulled the trigger. I hit paper out to 500yds and when I shot right I hit it at 600yds but that is all I can say about a very poor day of shooting. I will bring my own bench next time but I had fun shooting with Jerry, he is a good friend.

So, with that bad shooting day in my craw I decided to make sure I had my hunting load tweaked like I like it. So, on my way to work this morning, I stopped by the range to sight-in my rifle with my hunting load.

I had fired 60 rounds through my rifle and decided last night to clean it before I went to the range this morning to sight-in and also to foul my barrel with five rounds for this hunting season. I believe my rifle, load and me are ready for this year. What a way to start my day, having a five shot group like this out of a completely clean barrel. Sure says a lot for the quality of barrel on my 300Win Mag 116 FHSS Savage Weather Warrior.

165gr HPBT 3220fps

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A group like that always helps the confidence. Let us know what ya make dead with that set up this hunting season!

Ditto EKC's statement! What are ya chasing with 165's?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    A group like that always helps the confidence. Let us know what ya make dead with that set up this hunting season!
    elmerkeithclone, you are so right about this load giving me confidence. I love this bullet. I have now hunted with this bullet for 28yrs. Here in the US, Europe and in Tanzania Africa. I have killed deer, hogs, elk and black bear hear in the US. Deer, hogs and the last Black bear are exits. Also exited a Russian bore in Europe. I also have in testing this bullet put it through an 8" laminated beam at 25 yards out of my 300Wby at 3312fps and it made a 50 cent exit hole and 75 yards down range we dug the remaining bullet out of the embankment and it had not separated from the jacket. I have used it on impala, wildbeast, wart hog. The only one it did not exit was the wildbeast. Culled deer with the State of Mississippi for two years. Exited every deer I shot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Ditto EKC's statement! What are ya chasing with 165's?
    My earlier post answers your question. All but the real big and bad stuff.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth,
    Have you ever played with the Wthby SUB MOA Vanguard? I have never had a Whby but they seem pretty well priced if they are as good as they claim???
    Maybe somebody else has one?
    A 24in 3006 looks pretty inviting ?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Beartooth,
    Have you ever played with the Wthby SUB MOA Vanguard? I have never had a Whby but they seem pretty well priced if they are as good as they claim???
    Maybe somebody else has one?
    A 24in 3006 looks pretty inviting ?
    I have had three Vanguards but they were not the Sub Moa. Now that said, they were real good shooters. I have one friend who has one down here and his handloads really rock in that Sub Moa. It truly is a Sub Moa not only with his handloads but some premium factory loads also shot real good.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS