Thread: My First Flight!!

Default My First Flight!!

Yesterday while I was cleaning with the kids, my husband came upstairs and said that he had a surprise for me. I didn't know what that was, but he grabbed the sunglasses and said, "Let's go."

We walked to our neighbor's house. Him and his brother were doing pre-flight set up on our neighbor's plane. I thought that I was going over there to learn parts of the plane and do their pre-flight check list until the neighbor's brother answered his phone and said, "Yeah... I am getting ready to bring her up in the air."

I started quivering. I am honestly scared of heights. I had to prepare myself to do that. I just covered my mouth in shock and my husband came over to hug me. He said that I was going to be alright.

I asked a series of stupid questions including. "What if I get sick?" Our neighbor's brother just said that he had sympathy ailment and if I got sick on him, he'd get sick on me.

My husband helped me into the plane, strapped me in, gave me a kiss, and told me good luck and to have fun.

We taxied down the airstrip. Kevin explained to me all the instruments and reading. We reved up the engine and he explained why we do that for pre-flight checking and he asked again if I had any questions. I did. I was wondering if he had any crashes. He did.

He told me that he's crashed both airplanes and a helicopter. I just looked at him and said, "Well, then... I trust you then." Statistically, the likelihood of him getting in another crash with me slimmed down because it sounds to me as if he's survived a few mishaps. I did really mean that I trusted him because he had experience with that in case it did in fact happen. After all, he does have 2,500 hours including commercial and instrument ratings and he flew helicopters in the service.

We were off.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnT5A8yXpG0

I waved at everyone next to our house and our neighbor's house watching my first flight.
    We made it to altitude. We started towards Chena Hot Springs Road. We discussed the view, the weather, the altitude, the instruments, turning, up and down, and everything was in the green.

I requested that we turn towards the Alaska Range and move in that direction. We did. Wow... what a sight it is flying towards the Alaska Range. That was my first turn. I had to turn. I went slowly and I kept pulling the stick towards me. We kept going up. Kevin said that it was normal for a newbie to do that.

I asked him to take over. I took more pictures and we decided to land. I got nervous again seeing how skinny our airstrip was. We did a fly over. He said that could warn them that we are getting ready to come in. We flew over the kids' school and we aimed straight for our airstrip. He explained everything he was doing. He talked about all the instruments and how they were utilized. He told me when we were passing over powerlines and when we were ready to land on the airstrip.

It was a pretty gentle landing. I was glad to be back on the ground. We taxied back to our neighbor's property and my husband, the kids, our neighbor, and friends including Kingfisherktn and son were waiting for us.

We parked the plane and it was time for Marcie to fly! It was her first time, too!

Needless to say, it was a great experience and I am really happy that I had the opportunity to have my first flight experience with Kevin Karella.
    Lurker.

Congratulation...........

Cool! Did you see any critters from the air?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I second this where are all the moose at?? Ive gotten skunked everyday since the opener in 20B

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I second this where are all the moose at?? Ive gotten skunked everyday since the opener in 20B
    Of course we saw moose from the air!! I only had my iPhone with me, so I have small pictures, but we did see a fairly large bull moose. I'll share it. It was off of Chena Hot Springs Road before Two Rivers probably about Mile 10-12. It wasn't far from Nordale Road. We saw it and circled it a couple of times because Kevin and I were trying to figure out how big it was. It had a rack on it. When it moved it's head back and forth, it struggled and there was a shadow where the rack was at. It was in plain sight, too. I'll post the pictures as soon as I could figure out how to download from my iPhone into Photobucket.
    Lurker.

What a Blast, Great idea to surprise you like that.

Sounds like your First Flight was especially cool with a pilot explaining how everything worked like that. Yeah, to the Thrill of Flight
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Are you hooked now? You never mentioned what kind of plane it was..

you didn't go flying fixed wing with a rotor guy from the Army do you? just kidddddding III WASSS a ARRRmy ROTTTOR GUYY, I'MM finnne sortaaaa.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    What a Blast, Great idea to surprise you like that.

Sounds like your First Flight was especially cool with a pilot explaining how everything worked like that. Yeah, to the Thrill of Flight
    Thanks!! My husband is always full of surprises. I never know what to expect next!
    Kevin will definitely be a good instructor. He's thorough, has patience, and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Are you hooked now? You never mentioned what kind of plane it was..
    Definitely hooked. To be honest, I am not exactly sure what plane it is. I think it's called a Juliet, but I am not sure. I am having a hard time finding my mobile uploads on photobucket or I'd post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    you didn't go flying fixed wing with a rotor guy from the Army do you? just kidddddding III WASSS a ARRRmy ROTTTOR GUYY, I'MM finnne sortaaaa.
    Lurker.