Thread: Glasses?

Default Glasses?

Who wears glasses and shoots with them? Who didn't wear glasses in the beginning, but wears them now? How does it affect your shooting? I was recently informed that I need glasses, not just glasses, but bifocals. Does this mean that I need to retune my bow, since my line of sight will be changing? Thanks, in advance, for all opinions.

There is only one way to find out. Shoot and then shoot some more. You most likely won't need to retune, just adjust your sight pins and possibly your peep sight....maybe neither. I shoot all the time with sunglasses on and it doesn't change my point of impact one bit.

I don't shoot with glasses, but I've coached several that do. Most discuss the issue with their optomitrist (spelling?) and that doc will help them out. I know that one of my friends has bifocals for everyday use, but shoots with a seperate pair of glasses that fix his far vision.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

For me, bifocals are a problem with a peep sight. I can't see the peep sight with the distant vision part and I can't see the target with the reading part of my glasses. I found myself tipping my head up and down while sighting. I solved this problem with a "No Peep Sight" that I ordered from Cabela's several years ago. They no longer show this item in their catalog, but they have something called a Hindsight ($35-$50) that may be just as effective. The key factor is to be looking through something further from your eye than a peep sight on your bow string.

BTW, I have the same issue with scoped rifle sights. Because my near vision is good, I can just take my glasses off and use non-prescription safety glasses.

I think I'll need to adjust my sight. I'm left eye dominant, but have always shot right handed with no problems. Now that my vision will be change with the glasses, I think I'll just have to adjust the sight. I'll know once I get my glasses and start shooting. Thanks for your opinions.

Bigbear,

I've been in your situation for years now. I shoot with glasses or contacts and I don't change my anchor point or line of sight.

I wear bifocals for day to day and the only time the line interferes with my peep is during practice sessions. After several shots my glasses creep down my nose.

Don't mess with your bow until you've shot it a bit with your new glasses. If contacts are not an option for you, then you may want to talk to your eye doc about getting an extra pair of glasses with just the distance portion of your perscription for shooting. That's what I have, but I don't need glasses for up close vision.

Also, for hunting, a big thumbs up for antifog lenses
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have the progressive lenses, and they work just fine. They cost more, but worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Wade View Post
    For me, bifocals are a problem with a peep sight. I can't see the peep sight with the distant vision part and I can't see the target with the reading part of my glasses. I found myself tipping my head up and down while sighting. I solved this problem with a "No Peep Sight" that I ordered from Cabela's several years ago. They no longer show this item in their catalog, but they have something called a Hindsight ($35-$50) that may be just as effective. The key factor is to be looking through something further from your eye than a peep sight on your bow string.

BTW, I have the same issue with scoped rifle sights. Because my near vision is good, I can just take my glasses off and use non-prescription safety glasses.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

I'm getting the progressive lenses with the glare coating. Should have them by next weekend, so I'll see then.

I have progressive lenses as well but I have similar problems as others have, I can not use my peep sight and see the target clearly. I went to the Hindsight and now shoot better than I ever have. The nice thing about the hindsight is that you can move it left or right to get it clear of the string and have a good anchor point with clear vision of the target and the sight pins. A little bit of a learning curve but once mastered very nice!